What's new

how is the live in japan?

Yon

後輩
18 Jun 2007
dear lady and gentlemen,

before i go to japan to emigrate i want to know how the japanese society is and if it hard to live?

so my questions are:

1. is it hard to live in japan?

2. what are the maximum workhours there?

3. can you survive there if you work in the trade and retailment or other jobs like working as manager in big store? ( just example )

4. do you have some money left after you paid the tax and other stuffs like electrical, phone, gas, house and water?

i live in holland ( oranda )
now you guys ask me why i would leave here, the reason is simple, i don't want to see whole life the same things over and over...
it is getting here expensive to live...
i love the nature...japan has most beautifull landscapes like waterfall...and MT fuji where you can see the sea of clouds...
people here is getting more and more associal...i want to live in a peace city without racism and less violent...

so i want to know what it is to live there?

thank you...arigatou gozaimasu

1. Yes and no.
2. as many as you can. just get overtime for anything over 40/week.
3. "survive" = ?
4. yup.

To live here, you need a proper visa. Work visas require that you have enough years of experience and/or a bachelor's degree. Sometimes there are more requirements. Other types of visas have other requirements altogether. Read this site for the info.
VISA

If you can't satisfy requirements to stay here, knowing what it is like to live here is pointless. Besides, everyone's situation is different, so unless we know what yours is, we can't relate or give you a fair comparison.

1 - Depends on your location and housing/job and everything. Too much of a vague question to answer-

2 - Alot. Japanese are world renowed for long days and working hours. Not to mention little holiday time.

3 - Probably yea, but again too much of a vague question to answer.

4 - Again depends on all the variables above. You could have plenty of money to spend or you could be just making ends meet every week.

------

Have you ever been to Japan before ? If not I seriously think you should be gong on trips to Japan before you make up your mind. Many people have gone to Japan with major high hopes to be desperately dissappointed.

In the end fi you don't have the required equirements then it's irrelevent if you want to live in Japan or not.

I think most people go through a stage where you think your nativeland is "bad" and such, but in all probabalilty you would be better off staying in your native land. Especially if you are not fluent in Japanese.

well i am now 21 almost 22 and doing MBO ( dunno what it called in english )
well yeah i have been in japan before, but didn't get the time what people outside city really do and live...my japanese is not really bad and not very good but i am taking some lessons to get better in languange

these are very interesting questions Yon.

Because i wanted to ask similar questions, and can you give me the full expression of MBO?? is it something like Trade/Sales?

my only experience living in Japan was as an english teacher. I lived in Kanagawa, which is close to Tokyo and has similar living costs. My salary was around 250,000 - 275,000 yen monthly depending on overtime, and that was enough to pay for rent, utilities, health insurance, groceries, a boxing gym membership, and live fairly comfortably for a year and still save a few thousand USD.

In another thread called "Work Life Balance" or something, work hours were discussed and it was generally accepted that Japanese work culture requires long hours sometimes because of a more team-oriented dynamic where even though your particular portion of the project may be finished, if everyone else is lagging behind, you're somewhat obligated to stick around. This is especially true if the boss hasn't gone home yet. I'm not sure how extensively this applies to foreigners working in Japan though.

To work in a Japanese company most places require JLPT1, so I hope your Japanese is good or you have a connection set up ahead of time within an established foregin company.

Japan is peaceful but not void of racism and xenophobia, it's a fairly homogenous and isolated area, especially outside of major centers like Tokyo and Osaka. Individual results will vary, your ability to integrate and speak the language will be key if you choose to stay there long-term. Even then there's no guarantee you won't be treated poorly in some cases but it does help.

For the most part, Japan is not one of those developed societies that needs immigration to fulfill jobs and keep its manufacturing or hospitality industries alive. It's not a place that actively encourages immigration on the world stage, and the language barrier keeps many people out. It's very different from Canada or America, where the influx of immigrants is high and there are a few jobs waiting. If you don't speak a little Japanese it's incredibly difficult (without some inside connections or luck) to get a decent job aside from a language teacher.

i live in holland ( oranda )
now you guys ask me why i would leave here, the reason is simple, i don't want to see whole life the same things over and over...
it is getting here expensive to live...

It is pretty cool that you are seeing the world with an open mind, but... if a main reason that you move to Japan is because life is getting expensive in Holland, then you might be in for a big surprise, but, since you talk about experiencing nature and all that country setting, then I think you might want to live in a rural part of the country, therefore cutting the costs down.

people here is getting more and more associal...i want to live in a peace city without racism and less violent...

Oh, and I suggest you start reading some Japanese newspapers like the Japan Times or the Mainichi Daily News online, just so you could get an idea of some of the crimes, they are very isolated, but still, some of them are utterly shocking.

Mauricio

these are very interesting questions Yon.
Because i wanted to ask similar questions, and can you give me the full expression of MBO?? is it something like Trade/Sales?

well you guys have University...well we have VMBO (the lowest) then MBO then HBO then last WO this means..actually MBO and HBO is working real for 4 days ( you get money too, this is make yours skills and experience, we are student in that jobs and also we are going 1 day school in a week, with this study you can start own industry like big trade or manager in warehouse or the supervisor in the logistic)
HBO is to expan your skills and experience ( also working with getting salary )...and WO is the highest...and then University at last...

but we have also MAVO, HAVO and VWO this are all school level that you have to go everyday school without gaining experience skills...

MBO, no it is not only big trade...you can also become head administration administrator or official construction or digitally inspector ( to stop cybercrimes like hackers ) or General of the army...and other stuffs

what i am doing is retailing the product and sell it to the other customer...

It is pretty cool that you are seeing the world with an open mind, but... if a main reason that you move to Japan is because life is getting expensive in Holland, then you might be in for a big surprise, but, since you talk about experiencing nature and all that country setting, then I think you might want to live in a rural part of the country, therefore cutting the costs down.
Oh, and I suggest you start reading some Japanese newspapers like the Japan Times or the Mainichi Daily News online, just so you could get an idea of some of the crimes, they are very isolated, but still, some of them are utterly shocking.
Mauricio

yeah i think i am thinking too much...but it is much better then europe...i love working...i have now even 2 jobs i work the 1st job 24 hours ( of school ) and 24 hours part-time job...but i think also i did hoped too much of japan...but maybe this is my reason...i don't want to see things over and over again...i want to see more...i have seen already whole europe...like germany, belgium, france, italy, austria, switzerland, macedonia, servia and other countries...
so i want to see more...but I had been sold when I saw the beauty of Japan...

okay thanks yon for the helpfull explanation!!
by the way you speak very good english, cause most of (not of Jref!!^^) dutch people aren't very good at english (^_^')

regards YON
from the only japanese area in the isles of the Philippines!

Mauricio
well it is true that there in japan also violents incidents but you don't also know how bad it here is, here are the skinsheads violent guys, they are acting like Adolf Hitler is still alive and wants remove outsiders out by beating them up to almost near death or sure death...they are the nazions...in amsterdam and rotterdam is almost every day murder...coz there has been a some gangs existed, the blood gang and the crisp..it seems that they copied the american style, they way stealing people and killing for getting higher rank...
but yeah there in japan is also gangs...
okay thanks yon for the helpfull explanation!!
by the way you speak very good english, cause most of (not of Jref!!^^) dutch people aren't very good at english (^_^')
regards YON
from the only japanese area in the isles of the Philippines!
ah! honto ka? my english that good? i am suprised that i learned english in short time...almost 1,5 years, demo i have a long way to go...but it is not thanks to school...school sucks on english! not effective...talking people on the chatsite is better and much effective to learn any languange...^^,
hahahaha...well i think more why you think that dutch people can't speak english coz you met the dumbiest dutch people...demo there are alot dutch people who can speak english... lolzzz

I know it is off topic but I have to say something about 1 thing.

1. Most Dutch people their English sucks....
Ahum, I don't know if you are aware but acording to my latest information Dutch people are the best in English for a Non-Native English Country.

I agree that there is a lot of voilence in the Netherlands, and especially the part where everyone is in it's own space... when you enter that space you will get a fight or some words... It is one of the reasons why I decided to move to Japan.

I know it is off topic but I have to say something about 1 thing.

Ahum, I don't know if you are aware but acording to my latest information Dutch people are the best in English for a Non-Native English Country.

I agree that there is a lot of voilence in the Netherlands, and especially the part where everyone is in it's own space... when you enter that space you will get a fight or some words... It is one of the reasons why I decided to move to Japan.

did you live in the past in holland? so yuo must be a dutch guy too right? en hoe is het daar vriend in japan?

Tuesday I worked 11 hours, and I was elated to finish work "early".
Wednesday I worked 17 hours.
Thursday I worked 16 hours.
Today, I worked about 12 hours.

I used to average 12-14 hours per day, six days a week. Recently it has been more like 14-16 hours per day, on average.

A "normal" 40 hour week.....I burn through that before lunch on Wednesday.

Overtime pay? What's that?

Tuesday I worked 11 hours, and I was elated to finish work "early".
Wednesday I worked 17 hours.
Thursday I worked 16 hours.
Today, I worked about 12 hours.

I used to average 12-14 hours per day, six days a week. Recently it has been more like 14-16 hours per day, on average.

A "normal" 40 hour week.....I burn through that before lunch on Wednesday.

Overtime pay? What's that?
Hey mike, you sound like me! LOL

I work about 100 hours a week at the moment and it ain't getting any better, all I have time for is a goodby to the wife and kids and the 5 mins I get to spend on the craper.LOL Man , and I thought life was hard before I came to Japan.:eek:

Hey mike, you sound like me! LOL
I work about 100 hours a week at the moment and it ain't getting any better, all I have time for is a goodby to the wife and kids and the 5 mins I get to spend on the craper.LOL Man , and I thought life was hard before I came to Japan.:eek:
really?! what kind of job do you do? you sure works alot hours...i work here almost 45 hours but you guys seems working more...are you guys just trying to scare and let that city be yours?

I personally admire Europe's education system (especially that of Scandinavian countries and that of Germany and Holland) to teach everyone English for people to make them fluent in the language. So, yeah, while many people rant about where they live, we should all think about how lucky we were by not being born in some other sh-hole. There is not a country in the world with the name 'Utopia' in it.

Mauricio

No overtime pay, Mike? Illegal! You deserve it.

Von,
You are still fairly young, but it is a good idea to get information before making the leap here (or anywhere abroad). More than that, I would suggest that you come here to visit before planning a job here. See what Japan is like in the simplest of terms as a tourist. It is not the same as residing here and working for a living.

You're going to find it hard to get a job here, though. Look into requirements for jobs in your proposed field and you will see. Non-native English speakers with poor Japanese skills and essentially no work experience cannot be taken seriously by most employers, let alone immigration. If it is possible, see if there is a company in your home country that has a branch here, then work for them for while. Newbies rarely get overseas assignments, and by law you have to have a year of work there before you can get an intra-company transfer visa anyway.

No overtime pay, Mike? Illegal! You deserve it.
Von,
You are still fairly young, but it is a good idea to get information before making the leap here (or anywhere abroad). More than that, I would suggest that you come here to visit before planning a job here. See what Japan is like in the simplest of terms as a tourist. It is not the same as residing here and working for a living.
You're going to find it hard to get a job here, though. Look into requirements for jobs in your proposed field and you will see. Non-native English speakers with poor Japanese skills and essentially no work experience cannot be taken seriously by most employers, let alone immigration. If it is possible, see if there is a company in your home country that has a branch here, then work for them for while. Newbies rarely get overseas assignments, and by law you have to have a year of work there before you can get an intra-company transfer visa anyway.

soka, well i quest i should do that...i should stay for a while in holland and gain skills and experience and then go to nihon for job, that is what you wanted to say right?
well if that what you wanted say then i should do that then...
but i am feeling kinda sad thought...
but the holland tax is 49,7% let's say if you earn here €3000,-
( about 463386 Yen ) then you have to pay almost the half of your salary to the state, then you have around €1500,- then you have to pay almost €1200,- to other tax and stuffs like car tax, house tax, water-electricy-telphone tax, food and fuel for your car..and about €150,- for your kids study school...
and now they want to make other tax extra

Back
Top Bottom