What's new

How is the de で particle used in this sentenced?

wuomin

後輩
3 May 2014
Hello everyone,
I was digging through a Japanese articles and came upon a certain sentence that I was capable of reading until a certain point. The で particle in the sentence threw me quite off.

jrefquestion1.JPG

Why is で placed between 全国(national) and 統一(unification)? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Kai
PS: I might as well throw in this second question than make a new thread! I'm writing some dialogue in my journal and one character is saying, "If by any chance you see him, please call me." So, I wrote down, 万一彼を見ってと、私を電話してください。Would this be grammatically correct?

"unified nationally"/"at a national level".

I would use:
(もし or 万一 )彼を見掛けたら、電話してくだいい or 連絡してください
but if you mean see to mean "meet him" rather than just "visually see him" then it might be more natural to say 彼に会ったら.

と conditional normally does not follow the te-form so it would be 見ると. However, this conditional should not be used when the following phrase is an order, request, statement of intention. It is often used for regular or natural occurrences - that is, if A happens, B normally/naturally follows/is a result. たら is commonly used in this sort of context (I think in some cases ば is also fine).

It's also not necessarily to specify to contact "you", if that follows from context. If you do need to specify who to call/contact, you use に here, e.g. 私に電話してください、or 警察に連絡してください

@nekojita ,

Thank you for the informative response! I followed your advice and came up with this: "もし彼を見たら、電話してください." How's that?

Also,I noticed that you added, "掛けた" behind 見. Other than being able to insert たら at the end of the clause, what does it do the the 見? My textbook doesn't seem the contain those characters or explain "kaketa" (if that's the right Romanji), so I'm completely lost on the matter :| Could you please elaborate?

Thank you,
Kai

Back
Top Bottom