What's new

How is Shinto present in the life of Japanese millenials?

M. Lamm

Registered
4 Jan 2017
The question is in the topic. It shows my ignorance but if we make broad generalizations, maybe something can be said.

It mostly is evident in wedding ceremonies, where the couple may choose to have certain shintō rites in the ceremony - alongside, I might add, western-inspired rites.

It mostly is evident in wedding ceremonies, where the couple may choose to have certain shintō rites in the ceremony - alongside, I might add, western-inspired rites.

They may also take their baby to the shrine at a few months old for a blessing (omiya mairi) or their children to shichi-go-san blessings (ages 7 and 3 for girls, 5 for boys). The ritual of getting dressed up and the photos are as important or more important than the blessing. They may also visit the shrine in the new year (when I went this year, there were a lot of people in their 20s). For the vast majority of millenials (or Japanese of any age) taking part in events, it tend to be relatively light-hearted without any depth of thought, say, compared with young adults attending a church, synagogue or mosque., which is not a criticism by the way.

"安産祈願" safe childbirth.
When a pregnant woman passes 5 months of pregnancy, the couple goes to a shrine.
They go to a shrine on a day of a dog.

Taking part in events, it tend to be relatively light-hearted without any depth of thought, say, compared with young adults attending a church, synagogue or mosque., which is not a criticism by the way.
Thank you for your insight! Is there even such thing as fundamentalist Shinto? From what I have studied, it seems it is hard to call Shinto a religion to begin with...

Immensely interesting indeed... And only goes to reinforce my perception that understading the forces and ways of Japanese politics are beyond any casual observer (be it Japanese or not).

Back
Top Bottom