What's new

how hard is to...

M10

後輩
1 Jan 2004
move to Japan ? I'm 14 .. my parents said that its impossible in that age... the school, language, etc.
Do u guys have the same opnion about that?
I mean.. do you think that if I move to Japan next year it will be impossible ? (since I don't have any knowledge about Japan's History, Geography...)
well.. I don't think its impossible .. but I'm a dreamer :eek:

When I was about 14 (11 years ago) I wanted to move to japan, and was facinated by the place. But unfortunatly there was no way of making this come true... I lived in the *** end of england (cornwall) where japan was unheard of, let alone trying to get any books or lessons in japanese. Also my pairents were very poor by comparison.

It took me another 7 years to actually get myself out there, once I started working in london. It was a wonderful month spent seeing in the millenium from tokyo.

Being a brazilian, you should be pretty good to get a work placement or even a homestay as there is a large population of brazilians in Japan. Ask your school and see what they have to offer. If it was anything like my experience, you'll turn up empty handed - however if Brazil has the good relationship with Japan that I think it does, there might be some programs or schemes that you can apply for.

i see
i have some relatives living in Japan.. but I wont ask they this :p
where I live here I think that dont have school that offer ..
But in Sao Paulo could be some..

anyway.. seems that I will have to wait until my 22 years or more ..
I will kill myself

Well..Nothing is impossible, only mathematically improbable..Mind you, geography and history are important, but the language takes precedence. Trying to complete a Japanese high school would be very close to impossible without being virtually fluent, which is something many people spend years trying to achieve. Also, a diploma, from a Japanese college or high school, will only be taken seriously in Japan. Therefore you should graduate from your American high school and go to an American college. It will open up alot more doors.

But of course, all dreams are possible ;)

Start studying Japanese now, and by the time you're old enough to make it on your own in Japan (get a college diploma at least), you'll be more prepared than many other people who go there.

Then again you might wake up one day and have lost all interest, dreams can be fickle...But good luck!!👏

Heh.. yeah, maybe if I keep this dream until my 22 years.. it will be just hard.. but not impossible
Thank you :D

I have dream's of going to Japan as well. I'm only 13, but I' started learning Japanese a Year ago. It gets harder when you have almost no way of orally practicing. Well, I know that I'm not going to try until after High-school at the very least. Your right about the College in Japan thing too. I asked my teachers, and they told the same.

Yeah... here is the same about orally pract.
I wonder if I would survive in Japan in the Sports way :eek:
study is so boring :eek:

Hi Spike308!

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you have no one to practice spoken Japanese with. I used to teach English to people in Japan. Many of them have the same propblem, although they want to learn English, not Japanese.

The answer for them and for you is the same: Find a partner in your area who wants to learn Japanese. It does not matter if neither of you know any Japanese or not. Just try to say things out loud. Make a committment to speak nothing but Japanese for five minutes a day with your partner. If you have to, write a sentence down first, on a piece of paper, then say it to your partner. Have your partner do the same. Write little dialogs. It can be a lot of fun!

You can not say or write anything in Japanese? No problem. Post sentences here. A lot of us woudl be more than happy to translate anything for you.

Oh, yeah, one more thing. You need to master hiragana (the simplest writing system in Japanese) as soon as possible. This you can do by yourself. Stop writing Japanese in romaji (ABC's) and start writing in hiragana, as soon as you can. If you need ideas as to how to learn hiragana, feel free to ask.

Gambatte! (Go for it!)

-Buntaro

Oh, I totally agree with Buntaro.

If you're really that serious about Japan, start learning Hiragana and Katakana. That's the first step to learning to read Japanese. And believe me, if you start using Hiragana and Katakana, it will become like second nature! I never thought I could learn them, but I did, and it's turning out OK for me.

Also, SacredBlue is right. Trying to waltz into a Japanese school just wouldn't be realistic. It's horrid for Japanese students who are fluent in Japanese, and are a part of their own culture, let alone international students. And you DO need to be prepared.

I suggest finding a hosting program, through something called AFS (American Field Service) or YFU (Youth For Understanding). They are really good programs!

Yeah.. start when you're young! it's the best thing to do~

and yeah, go with the YFU program I have a friend that is going to do the same thing... and it's not that bad of a price!

Well M10 I wish I could encourage you to start living in Japan as early as possible since people get used to things more quickly when they're young, but my advise to you is to apply for an exchange program and stay there for one or two years to see how things go. I used to have this fantasy about living in Japan before I spent a year as an exchange student there. I have to admit that one year gave me different views(mostly negative) and different ideas about living in Japan that would've never happened if I hadn't stayed there long enough. The best bet is to stay there for a couple of years to see if you can stand the life there. If you like it, try to stay longer; if you don't, pack up and go home.

As for student exchange programs, I'm going on a homestay in Nirasaki this June. It's only for a couple of weeks. I'm 15 (one of the young'ns of this forum) and I'll probably be turning 16 during my visit in Japan. Do you suppose I try building a small foundation there so that I can return to stay after I've completed high school or College. How would I go about doing so?

Try to make alot of really good friends your age or older. Also make really good friends with your homestay family. That way when you complete college, all of those good friends will have jobs and be in a position where they can help you. And I'm sure if you stay very close with your homestay family they wouldn't mind having you stay with them again until you get all set up :)

Thanks a lot. Now I know exactly what I'm going to do in the next cluster of years. I'll be sure to keep plenty of contacts when I visit. Also, I am already familiar with some people of Nirasaki because I was a host brother for a student who just recently visited for 3 weeks over Christmas. I might be able to stay with his family, but I'm not sure what exactly will happen when I visit Nirasaki. I also made friends with the other students who visited, and their host families... (I even made a ツ債絶?昶? to one of them) 😊 Oddly, Takeru, the student I was hosting, was the only boy in the group. I wonder if that will happen to me during my visit :p

M10, please try what I'm doing. 2-3 years ago, I had no idea how I was going to make it to Japan, and now I'm sure what I'm going to do. Try to find an international student exchange program or maybe a "Sister City" program in your area. It doesn't necessarily have to be involved with your high school. I wish you luck 👏

I'm 14. I'm learning the language right now and everything I can but I don't see myself even visiting there any time soon.

I could see myself going there in college to help my studies but my plan at this point is to be a ESL teacher in Japan. I am interested in the language and the culture and if I get started, which I already have, on the language it will be early for me and that will help a lot.

My high school doesn't really associate anything Japanese. They offer French, Spanish, and Latin. Even if they did have a program for living in Japan, I do not think I would be able to handle it at this age with not seeing any family for awhile.

I'll eventually reach my goals if I keep at it. ^_^

Exchange agencies are bastards, they make you fill out a bunch of forms and make you wait for ages. Then call you up saying your not going because your on medications and Japan doesn't want any psychos. Or asks you to pay a 500$ check in advance and then just stops contacting you. I'm suppose to go for March and I don't even know what city or school ill be living in. :mad:

This doesn't have anything to do with the post, but:

LUC, your avatar is the SCARIEST thing I've seen in my life.

窶堋?窶堙ィ窶堋ェ窶堙??堋、窶堋イ窶堋エ窶堋「窶堙懌?堋キツ!

Nice!, what will you be doing there? Are you nervous? How much Japanese do you know?

I just hope my exchange agency calls me back. As for me I'm not nervous one bit since they said I'm definitely going but for some reason I don't believe them. My Japanese language skills I have none. Sure I can say some sentences like: Kore wa nan desu ka? But what will that help me with?

Back
Top Bottom