What's new

How hard is it to get accepted into AFS?

danniel

後輩
9 Aug 2009
How about EF, or YFU?

I'd really want to go to Japan for a year, and I'd like to know what the requirements for these programs are?
And how hard it is to get into?

I'm not a straight A student, does that matter much? I wouldn't be going until next year, so I have a little time to bring my grades up.

It's not hard to get abroad for a year with either YFU or AFS. I've been to Japan with AFS for a year in 2007/2008.

The only problem is the amount of participants that can go to Japan each year, for my country it's around 2-3 a year. If you fill in the required papers to signup and you get the place you're as good as going. There will be a homevisiting from an AFS volunteer to talk about your motivation and yourself a bit aswell. From what I heard AFS wants to send as much students abroad each year as possible, so there are very few exceptions as to why you would be rejected.

As for your grades, it doesn't matter that much afaik. They have a way different school system with grades in Japan anyways. You won't be able to understand any class (or anyone) in Japanese the first six months if your level isn't JLPT 3 or 2 already.

Don't forget you will be staying in a host family. I don't want to demotive you, and I'm not talking about all of them, but some host families take a foreigner in home because they either have someone in home thats been away with AFS or just because it makes them more respected in the neighboorhood. In the end, that's what happened to me at least <_<

Back
Top Bottom