What's new

How hard is it to do Japanese History in Japan as a career?

Ryan Blount

後輩
14 Nov 2013
I want to do Japanese history( Samurai periods and Satsuma rebellion)in Japan. I am currently getting my major in history at University of Florida. I also planning get my Masters degree for Japanese History. Is their good colleges in Japan to acquire this degree. And my second question is their a way to do Japanese history career in Japan and have a long term visa to stay in Japan? I am not going near Japanese history during World War 2.

Last edited:
Japanese history is taught horribly here and has been a constant source of rebuke, not only from foreign expats but from the nearby foreign community. I'd strongly suggest not considering it here. You'd probably be told not to teach things that you felt were important but that Japan glosses over or avoids altogether.

Foreigners teaching about Japanese history are not that common for a reason.

Besides, in order to teach it, you'd have to be very, very fluent in Japanese. Are you? Will you be?

How about International schools or doing Archaeology digs? Is there any jobs for a foreigner who knows Japanese history mainly Samurai Period?

While I have no idea how difficult it is - probably -very- difficult - it is not impossible. My father for some reason knows an American who is a tenured professor of Japanese History in a Japanese university. (Or at any rate, did know such a person when he was a professor some twenty years ago, I'm not sure if they are still corresponding or what has happened to the man's career. Apparently, when telling Japanese people of this acquaintance, they were universally disbelieving, which gives you some idea of the rarity of the feat. I doubt it's -quite- that rare now, but I don't think its gotten too much easier either. )

Anyway, asking here - or on any language learning forum - is not likely to help. You need to be checking directly with schools that offer graduate studies in Japanese History in Japan. Of course, to do that, you need to be able to ask in Japanese. You'll also need to be able to take graduate level classes in Japanese.

If that doesn't worry you, then go for it. You'll never know if you don't try. If you get accepted into a program, I think you'll likely find your way somehow - even if you don't gain a career in Japan you'll have impeccable credentials for teaching in the west. On the other hand, if even searching and applying sounds impossible to you, then I suggest you consider studying and teaching history at home.

How about International schools or doing Archaeology digs? Is there any jobs for a foreigner who knows Japanese history mainly Samurai Period?
Yes, an international school teaches everything except Japanese language in English, so you could theoretically get on there. You need a teaching license from your home country plus 2-5 years of teaching experience there.

I have no idea about archaeology digs. Sorry.
Anyway, asking here - or on any language learning forum - is not likely to help.
I beg to differ, as my responses have already shown.
Look up university/college jobs on the JRECIN site. If you can't find it in the English section, then it is for people who can read Japanese fluently.
If you want a full-time solo teaching job at a mainstream high school or junior high, you will have to matriculate through a Japanese university and get their license, but that will all require knowing Japanese.

I want to do Japanese history( Samurai periods and Satsuma rebellion)in Japan. I am currently getting my major in history at University of Florida. I also planning get my Masters degree for Japanese History. Is their good colleges in Japan to acquire this degree. And my second question is their a way to do Japanese history career in Japan and have a long term visa to stay in Japan? I am not going near Japanese history during World War 2.

I want to study Japanese history (Samurai periods and Satsuma rebellion)in Japan. I am currently getting my major in history at University of Florida. I also planning get my Masters degree in Japanese History. Are there good colleges in Japan to acquire this degree? And my second question: is there a way to have a career teaching Japanese history in Japan and have a long term visa to stay in Japan? I am not going near Japanese history during World War 2.

I guess I would've thought a history major would have been more literate… :rolleyes:

I think also you'll find that "Samurai Period" isn't a phrase used in academia in Japan. It would be like saying you wanted to study the Cowboy Period (or, the Knight Period, if you like). I mean, people know when samurai existed, but it covers a long span of Japanese history and is therefore vague and without much meaning. Bakumatsu period, or even Edo period would be better - but to find work in academia with a specialty in the history of the Bakumatsu would be challenging to say the least.

johnnyG stop bashing if you have no information on the type of area . In my own signature don't bashmy writing. I know my grammar sucks and my writing skills are bad at this point but I am taking many things to help improve my writing. So, don't judge. It is a long story and you don't know the length. I just got my A.A. not a History major yet!So, just be quite or if you have input on my question!

Thank you Glenski, SomeCallMeChris,Majestic for you our input.

If their others who knows about this subject topic. I would love your input.

Back
Top Bottom