What's new

How do you...?

Maybe:
私は声を聞きますそして、その声が君が嫌いです。
わたし は こえ を ききます そして、 その こえ が きみ が きらい です。
watashi ha koe wo kikimasu (kikoemasu) soshite, sono koe ga kimi ga kirai desu.

I think そして (soshite) is more of a sentence opener than an "and" in the middle of a sentence.

My attempt:
私が聞こえる声は君が好きじゃないよ。
Watashi ga kikoeru koe ha kimi ga suki jyanai desu yo.
The voices I can hear don't like you.

Any correction is welcome.

My attempt:
私が聞こえる声は君が好きじゃないよ。
Watashi ga kikoeru koe ha kimi ga suki jyanai desu yo.
The voices I can hear don't like you.
Any correction is welcome.[/QUOTE]
Soshite is fine as a connecting word within sentences, very similar to
"sore kora," used after the "te" form or "to" after a series of nouns for instance.
If you're going to put it after "masu" I think you need to start a new
sentence.
'The voices I can hear' may not be sufficiently clear as an opening
statement but maybe
音声が聞(聴?)こえるんだよ!そして、それらはあなたが好きじゃないです。😊

I guess if your going make a statement like that, no sense being polite. :p

I thought about using the ~ndayo but don't know if it may sound more angry than anything else.

Ah, thank you all, but which should I choose...?:?

Well, the statement is kind of.... "I don't like you"... heh... so there is no need to be polite...

Elizabeth said:
"sore kora," used after the "te" form or "to" after a series of nouns for instance.
sentence.
statement but maybe

Hmm...I see. Thanks! Is this more common in speech than in writing? I've heard it in conversation where some sentences seem to go on and on, but I always thought in writing the -te form would inherently imply a continuation of a sentence...

Elizabeth said:
sentence.
statement but maybe
Note that although soshite and sore kara* are very similar, once should also note the differences.
Normally, both can be used to link up two actions together. But soshite can be used in the situation where the second action starts to take place while the first action is still ongoing. For sore kara, the idea is that the first action must be finished before the second action can start.

soshite:
Izakaya ni itte, soshite (sono iazakaya de) osake wo nonda
(note that you can be drinking the sake while you are at the Izakaya)

sore kara:
Izakaya ni itte, sore kara uchi ni kaetta
(note that you can be going to the Izakaya while at the same time going back home)

Of course, in colloquial Japanese, the distinction is not often made between the two, and thus are fairly interchangeable. But when it comes to writing, one must be more careful.

MeAndroo said:
Hmm...I see. Thanks! Is this more common in speech than in writing? I've heard it in conversation where some sentences seem to go on and on, but I always thought in writing the -te form would inherently imply a continuation of a sentence...:?

When it is used in a context to mean 'and' during casual speech, it may be considered one of those words that 'buys' you time to think about what you want to say next. All in all, the overall meaning of the sentence wouldn't be changed if the soshite is not used and where -te form is used.

nhk9 said:
Note that although soshite and sore kara* are very similar, once should also note the differences.
Normally, both can be used to link up two actions together. But soshite can be used in the situation where the second action starts to take place while the first action is still ongoing. For sore kara, the idea is that the first action must be finished before the second action can start.
soshite:
Izakaya ni itte, soshite (sono iazakaya de) osake wo nonda
(note that you can be drinking the sake while you are at the Izakaya)
sore kara:
Izakaya ni itte, sore kara uchi ni kaetta
(note that you can be going to the Izakaya while at the same time going back home)
Of course, in colloquial Japanese, the distinction is not often made between the two, and thus are fairly interchangeable. But when it comes to writing, one must be more careful.
If I'm not mistaken...soshite means "then" and sore kara means "that's why or after that" @_@ I dunno...I'm still learning.

Back
Top Bottom