What's new

How do you write "Sacrifice" in Japanese Katakana?

blueluis

Registered
14 Nov 2014
When I use google translate it translate to Kanji which gives me " 犠牲 ".
After doing some research I found " ギセイ " ? as "Gisei" Most importantly is " ギセイ " correct ?
I want to make a sticker out of the the word sacrifice but in katakana style. :)
Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks!

First, clarify if you mean it as a verb or a noun; they're the same in English but not in Japanese.

Exactly what sort of context do you mean it in? And does it absolutely have to be "sacrifice" or would you be open to other suggestions that might more naturally fit in Japanese usage?

Exactly what sort of context do you mean it in? And does it absolutely have to be "sacrifice" or would you be open to other suggestions that might more naturally fit in Japanese usage?
Can I use "Sacrifice" in katakana style without context? or has to be in context?

You can sort of verbify it with ~を犠牲にする (something like "make a sacrifice of ~"). Note that if you write it in katakana it's only phonetic and "gisei" could mean a couple of things.

Since you're planning to write in katakana anyway, why not just transcribe the English word?
サクリファイス

Can I use "Sacrifice" in katakana style without context? or has to be in context?

You can do whatever you want. Use ギセイ if you like.

Is this supposed to actually make sense? If so, then context would help. If it is just decoration, then it really doesn't matter what you use, now does it?

You can do whatever you want. Use ギセイ if you like.

Is this supposed to actually make sense? If so, then context would help. If it is just decoration, then it really doesn't matter what you use, now does it?
Yes it's only for decoration, so I can use ギセイ right? :bored:

I understand " サクリファイス " but it's too long

Anyways thank you all for the replies!!

Gisei is like a human sacrifice... If I saw someone with a button with that word on it, I'd wonder if they were marked for death. But hey whatever, sounds like it doesn't really matter if it actually makes sense

Gisei is like a human sacrifice... If I saw someone with a button with that word on it, I'd wonder if they were marked for death. But hey whatever, sounds like it doesn't really matter if it actually makes sense
aah, that's exactly what I don't want...
Guess I'll have to make " サクリファイス " work, any more suggestions feel free! thanks

See why I asked you in what CONTEXT you meant it?

Imagine you see the word "battery" in English. Without context, could you tell me whether it is: an electrical storage device; a group of artillery pieces; pummeling the snot out of someone?

Imagine you see the word "order. Without context, could you tell me whether it is: a command to do something; a requisitioning of something; things running smoothly in a society; a hierarchical arranging of item? Could you even tell me if it is a noun or a verb?

Things which can have different meanings/uses in language A may have entirely different words for each of them in language B.

So without knowing just WHAT THE HELL IS IT YOU WANT TO SAY by "sacrifice" it is impossible to give you a correct answer. And it would likely be expressed by an entirely different word than a direct translation of "sacrifice" anyway.

But since it is just for an ****** decoration and trying to get you to tell us WHAT THE HELL IS IT YOU WANT TO SAY is like pulling teeth and I hate having to work harder or care more about solving somebody else's problem than they do themselves, then use whatever you find makes the prettiest decoration.

"Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice everything else for it."
J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

That's the context I would like it to represent...

Then I would suggest something like 一点張り (イッテンバリ) in the interest of clarity and brevity.

Back
Top Bottom