What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

How do you say 'is' in Japanese?

JDubG

Sneaky Ninja Assassin
Reaction score
How do you say 'is' in Japanese? Also, how would you write 'is' in Kanji?
Please help.

-悪魔-

先輩
Reaction score
There isn't really an 'is' in japanese but the close thing I guess would be は ot が

Elizabeth

先輩
Reaction score
です、あります、います -- These can also mean have, it simply depends on what you're trying to say.

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Just some clarification:
As Elizabeth has said, です, あります, and います can all mean "is." There are differences (obviously), and here they are:

です - The formal copula. It is used when you mean to qualify or equate something. I.e. "The chair is red." or "His name is Wes." Its informal version is だ.

あります - The formal existential verb for inanimates. It is used when you want to say that something exists. I.e. "The report is on the desk." or "The pool is in the yard." Its informal version is ある.

います - The formal existential verb for animates. It is used when you want to say that someone or some animal (alive) exists. I.e. "The president is in the office." or "My mother is at home." Its informal version is いる.

As for は and が, those are postpositions, and they show grammatical function. は marks topics, and が marks subjects. They cannot be translated into English, because English uses inflection and syntax to show grammatical function.

JDubG

Sneaky Ninja Assassin
Reaction score
Thank you all very much, you have helped greatly!

Top Bottom