What's new

How do you say in Japanese...?

Mrs. Camui

後輩
1 Dec 2003
I was wondering if I could get an answer to this silly question of mine. How do you say "I can basicly say anything right now because none of you will understand" in Japanese? 😄
My Japanese is still rather poor but I'm learning all the time. Little by little. I've got some great links from this forum. I wanna thank you for those! I've tried to translate that expression on my own but I want to be sure that it's correct. Arigatou gozaimasu! 🙂

Thanks for the reply Elizabeth. This expression won't be needed in any specific situation. I simply think it would be fun to say this when people ask me to speak Japanese.

---> "I can basicly say anything right now because none of you will understand (what I'm saying)"

So, I don't need a literal translation if it's hard to translate. Whatever sounds the best in Japanese is fine with me :) But I would appreciate if you include a literal translation back to English so at least I know what I'm saying. 😊

No, that's OK. I just thought maybe you had something in mind that you didn't want us to know. Maybe Japanese is a little too polite, although I think the most natural way is probably "Nihongo no shoshinsha na node (because I'm a beginner at Japanese), ittai koto ga atte mo (although I say whatever I want) wakatte moraimasen (I cannot make it understandable)." And I'll still try to think of something a little more in line with the spirit of your original question -- although it depends whether you actually want to be understood even with that or not ;).

What about:
理解しないので、私は何でも言うことができます。

(rikai shinai node, watashi wa nandemo iu koto ga dekimasu)

"Since (it) doesn't understand, I can say anything"

I don't know if that would work, @Elizabeth can correct it

Yes, I was thinking of something like that as well....only you don't want to make it sound like it is the listener's fault for not understanding or that you can speak to them regardless of whether they're understanding or not. If this is just with friends, though...

Maybe something like "Shoshinshana node (or dakara), dare ni mo watashi no iu koto ga wakatte morawanai desu." Because I am a beginner I cannot make what I say understandable to anyone. "Desukara, ittai koto ga aru nandemo iu koto ga dekimasu." (Therefore I can say whatever I like).
I'm not 100% positive either, sorry. :sorry:

Looking good! SacredBlue, your sentense it pretty much what I was first thinking. Thank you too for your reply! 🙂 Elizabeth's sentense sounds more complicated which is a good thing, too. Other suggestions are still welcome! Eeto, I think I'll wait for a while and learn all of them.

Originally posted by Elizabeth
Maybe something like "Shoshinshana node (or dakara), dare ni mo watashi no iu koto ga wakatte morawanai desu." Because I am a beginner I cannot make what I say understandable to anyone. "Desukara, ittai koto ga aru nandemo iu koto ga dekimasu." (Therefore I can say whatever I like).
I'm not 100% positive either, sorry. :sorry:

Oh, we sent the posts almost at the same time. I didn't read your latter post before I posted mine. 😊

But this one sounds great! It has the correct meaning plus it's polite! Thank you! And you really should not apologize. Absolutely no need to do that. Help is always highly appreciated! Thank you once again! ^_^

Great! So far so good and with only one spelling mistake (so far as well)....:p. "ittai" should be "iitai." Also I emailed a friend about the grammar, so at least someone will let us know if we're drastically off the mark. Ganbatte ne!

I still have to concentrate particularly on getting the "koto ga" and "aru" parts in sentences like these right since nothing in the English translation corresponds very well. And just out of curiousity, how is "I can say anything since no one will understand" usually rendered in Finnish?

In Finnish? Mmm, "I can say anything since no one will understand" would literally be "minä voin sanoa mitä tahansa, koska kukaan ei kuitenkaan ymmärrä". It can be translated literally. Of course, because the original sentence is made up by a Finn. Maybe Finnish people have no manners... No need to think about the sentence being rude. :oops: It's easy to translate into Finnish.

But as you say this can also be understood in two ways. It's either speaker's fault or listeners' fault that the expression won't be understood. But in my case, since I mean that the listeners won't understand because they know nothing about Japanese language, there won't be any misunderstandings.

Originally posted by Mrs. Camui
But in my case, since I mean that the listeners won't understand because they know nothing about Japanese language, there won't be any misunderstandings.
Yeah, I understand it won't particularly matter for now....but there's no point in learning it wrong right off the bat is there? And you may actually end up needing to use it on native Japanese speakers someday as well :p. The only real problem I can foresee is the use of "can" which could be coming across more like even as a beginner I'm able to say anything in perfect Japanese. :D "I may freely say anything I want" or "I can get away with saying anything I want" still sounds a little harsh to my ears...but as you say Finns may not offend as easily as the Japanese I'm so used to. ;)

Last edited:
In Finnish? Mmm, "I can say anything since no one will understand" would literally be ...
I'm afraid you'll have to lead me along with word by word with English paraphrasing though :). It just seemed an interesting thing for someone who knows nothing at all about Finnish to set up a simple comparison of basic grammar and sentence structure.

The sentence structure is very similar to that of the English translation. Note that a couple of these words are conjugated in (seemingly) obscure ways, so I'll go with the meaning in the context.

· minä = "I"
· voin = "can" (in 1st singular form)
· sanoa = "say"
· mitä tahansa = "anything"
· koska = "because"
· kukaan = "no one"
eeh, now it gets a bit tricky :eek:

ei kuitenkaan ymmärrä translates roughly to "will not understand anyway"
(kuitenkaan in the middle could be translated as "anyway", so... ei ymmärrä = "does not understand" / "will not understand")

Heh, just noticed that it's a bit colloquial. A literal way to say it would be "... koska kukaan ei kuitenkaan tule ymmärtämään" (in the future tense, translates directly to "because no one will understand anyway").

Let me translate the Finnish sentence "minä voin sanoa mitä tahansa, koska kukaan ei kuitenkaan ymmärrä" for you. But first I have to say that Finnish language doesn't have any particles. Instead letters are added after the word if someone want to say things like 'on, under, at, in, to...' Thus, I'll cut the words into pieces as well. :)

Here we go:
minä - I
voin - I can do
[verb form "voida" means "can do". Suffix "-n" means that a word "I" is a subject of the sentence]
sanoa - say
mitä tahansa - whatever/anything
koska - because
kukaan ei - no one will
[it should actually be "ei kukaan" but this sentence chances the word order]
kuitenkaan - someone won't do something anyway [Oh, this was a tricky one...]
ymmärrä - understand [basic verb form for understand should be "ymmärtää". The used form says it's "no one" who'll understand]

If any Finnish people happen to read this, feel free to correct my mistakes! :)

Elizabeth, you're right! I should learn to say it like a native Japanese. Feel free to change the meaning if you feel like it. ;) It just hard for me to get the picture of polite way to say this. But I still have time to get use to Japanese.

:D
Looks like I got the basics and you covered the details over there. Now Elizabeth can amaze her friends with her new Finnish skills. :devilish:

Elizabeth, you're right! I should learn to say it like a native Japanese. Feel free to change the meaning if you feel like it. ;) It just hard for me to get the picture of polite way to say this. But I still have time to get use to Japanese.
I think I just realized part of the problem is that there is no natural expression for "anyway" as a pronoun in Japanese (it morphs into the adverb "anyhow" ("at any rate")or "certainly") as we're using it in this context to soften the speaker's intent. So the wording here projects a very raw or tough persona ("Because I'm a beginner and no one will understand I can say anything I want") which isn't kosher in English, or Finnish apparently as well. And speaking too directly is even more akin to picking a fight in Japanese...:eek:

Originally posted by Elizabeth
I think I just realized part of the problem is that there is no natural expression for "anyway" as a pronoun in Japanese (it morphs into the adverb "anyhow" ("at any rate")or "certainly") as we're using it in this context to soften the speaker's intent. So the wording here projects a very raw or tough persona ("Because I'm a beginner and no one will understand I can say anything I want") which isn't kosher in English, or Finnish apparently as well. And speaking too directly is even more akin to picking a fight in Japanese...:eek:

Oh my... Maybe I should forget about the whole sentence. i don't wanna learn to speak rude Japanese. :eek: Maybe I'll learn enough myself one day and I'm able to see the awful sentance structure I'm asking. I'm sorry I caused so much trouble with this silly question. 🙇‍♂️

No, no it's really no problem at all. For otaku de henna gaijin (strange fanatical foreigners) like myself interested in these sorts of syntactical problems anyway. I'll get back when I hear something definitive in the next couple days. 😄

And in the meantime a very polite response to anyone who says they can't understand:

Dono kuni ni mo (every country, or whatever country it is) dokuji no hyougen (unique expressions) ga arimasu (has). Dakara, (therefore) chokuyaku (literal translations) de wa imi wo nasanai (don't make sense or aren't meaningful) koto ga arimasune (sometimes,
don't you think?).

Last edited:
Oh okay. In that case I simply gave you an interesting challenge. ;) Take your time! I will wait for the translation.
But meanwhile, this latest sentence you sent sounds tasty! i wonder if I'll ever come across a situation where I'll need this. But I feel like learning that can be handy! Thank you!

Originally posted by Lacos
:D
Looks like I got the basics and you covered the details over there. Now Elizabeth can amaze her friends with her new Finnish skills. :devilish:
Thanks to both of you, Lacos and Mrs. Camui, for quite a ride there :)! I can see a little more now why Finnish has the reputation of a difficult language. A word order so close to English is interesting, but it seems to have more concentrations of vowels compared with German or the other Scandinavian languages.

私は外国人にいくらでも間違った言葉や悪い言葉をいえ ます。なぜなら、どうせ誰も私の日本語がわからないか ら。。」
"Watashi wa gaikokujin ni ikura demo machigatta kotoba ya warui kotoba wo iemasu. (I can make unlimited mistakes and say an unlimited number of bad things in speaking with foreigners) Nazenara, dosei dare mo nihongo ga wakaranaikara... (Because anyway/at any rate no one will understand my Japanese)"

Not as silly as the original question sounded in English, but I think about as close as you'll get in Japanese :).

Back
Top Bottom