What's new

How do you get J-pop?

How do you get your J-pop?

• I download all/most of my J-pop.

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • I purchase all/most of my J-pop.

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • I download and purchase almost equally.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • It's given to me.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I get it some other way.

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Philosoranter

Vagabond
10 Jun 2004
For the most part, I use sources like bit torrent, WinMX, and KaZaALite to get J-pop, though lately I have been making more actual purchases. There's just something special about owning it, as opposed to just having it. Limited edition goodies are also a big draw to purchasing it - Aya Matsuura's next single comes with 5 (that's right, five) posters.

How about you? Click or cash? Or some other-how?

Both click and cash. I do download as much as i can. I hop over to Thailand every now and then to buy originals (made in Thailand but still originals).

I've practically stopped buying online because the customs department is getting too greedy overhere.

Although I've DL'ed a couple of times to evaluate some songs, I make it a point to purchase all of my music... I like the idea of supporting the artists as much as I can by buying the music straight-up legit.

Of course, I DJ a weekly radio show too, so I need those CDs for use on the air as well...

:p

I purchase all the CDs of my favorite singers. In Canada, I can buy CDs of Utada Hikaru, Ayumi Hamasaki and a couple other J-Pop icons from HMV. For the rest, I ordered them from YesAsia. And sometimes my friends would just burn a copy of the songs they liked and gave it to me.

When my friends go back to Hong Kong, they usually will buy a lot of CDs because not only the Japanese music (originals) are much cheaper in Hong Kong but also (due to lower demands) different Japanese record companies would get together to produce something like "Super Hits of J-drama", "Various hits of Japanese Divas," & etc..

In recent years, there're so many counterfeits from China but they are in very poor quality! So, for those who want to save money, it might be better to buy it from ebay, sometimes you can find a CD costs US$10 plus shipping & handling fees, and at least their CDs/DVDs are in pretty good quality.

Maki's GOLD SAINT

Philosoranter said:
There's just something special about owning it, as opposed to just having it.
That's very truth... although I make both, click and cash, I always buy the stuffs I like the most, and download those others I consider not so important to have (a matter of opinion in which singer's stuff to buy) ... Indeed, I feel something special when I have the original in my hands...

and I guess you know what singer cds I always buy Philosoranter 🙂 ... don't you want to join the Cult? :D

:::Maki itadakimasu:::
🍜

Meiji Lythtis said:
and I guess you know what singer cds I always buy Philosoranter 🙂 ... don't you want to join the Cult? :D

Hehehe, if I join your cult here, soes that mean I have to join at the other forum, too? 🙂 Thank you, but no thank you. Looks like there's a Kei fan and a Maki fan, I'll just have to take the other 43 members. :D

For those who spend money on their J-pop - what was the last thing you bought? (I just pre-ordered Aya Matsuura's next single, the one with 5 posters. Had to get it from Yesasia, nowhere nearby sells has Japanese music besides traditional stuff.)

The last original i obtained was the debut solo-album of Kozi (ex-Malice Mizer, Eve of Destiny). But that was actually a gift.

The last one i actually paid for must have been "Next Wave" by Mondo Grosso.

I buy everything, unless it's one or two songs by a new band I might not want to jump into monetarily. Finally just got my Michi no Sora, Shadows Temple and Rememberance singles, whoo o_o/

I spend way too much money on cds, dvds and photobooks; in five years I'm not going to like this and I'm going to have a bunch of first press vk stuff :| :|
Just the thought depresses me.

Lydia

Maki's GOLD SAINT

Philosoranter said:
Looks like there's a Kei fan and a Maki fan, I'll just have to take the other 43 members. :D
We are very few over here, but I must see when you be looking for fans for the kids ... :giggle:

Last thing I bought was Maki's Sayonara no Love Song limited edition, along with Maki's Uwasa no SEXY GUY limited edition... Soon, I'll buy again, and guess what... Yokohama Shinkirou limited edition, along with some other Maki stuffs including the DVD single. :LOL: 😍

May the Goddess bless you even if you don't join ✌️

hmm.. the cds i bought in the last month were

Mayu kitaki - tricolor

Pillows -penalty life

kuraki mai - if I believe

polysics - for young electric pop

yoshinori sunahara - lovebeat

move - operation overload 7

kiyohara - poetry

and maybe some others but i don't remember

EDIT: hey twisted, what does kozi's solo album sound like? also.. where can I find it online (if anywhere?) , thx 🙂

Download Download Download.
Hehe though lately it's been quiet with the downfalls of groups like #aSx, #ABS, #FinklSES etc who used to rip asian music frequently. New groups are emerging though but their releases are not as great. But once i get to Japan, believe me, i'm going after any disc that's labelled L'Arc~en~Ciel.

goggles: Why wait? Tofu Records will have a release of L'arc's latest album "Smile" at he end of this month... which means it should be available to order in for record stores in the Western world. So get your local record store to special order it in for you, and tell them to get in an extra copy to put on the shelf while they're at it... that's my plan! I just want to see if I can get a L'arc CD sitting in the racks at my local Borders... that would be sweet...

I like what Marsfyre did, so I'm going to do that too... my last CD Japan order (which showed up Monday) contained:

Mr. Children - Shifuku no oto [Album]
Mr. Children - Sign [Single]
Buck-Tick - Zangai [Single]
Ai Otsuka - Sakurambo [Single]
TMG - Oh Japan [Single]
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Songs 2 [Game Music]
Star Child Selections [Anime Compilation]
Recycle - Greatest Hits of Spitz [Album]
Bonnie Pink - Present [Album]
Anime Japan Fest 2003 [2-CD Live]

That last one was random, but I couldn't resist getting a live recording of the Tokimeki Memorial theme song...

:p

marsfyre said:
hey twisted, what does kozi's solo album sound like? also.. where can I find it online (if anywhere?) , thx 🙂

Well, it's mostly like the songs he wrote for Malice Mizer. It's mostly kitsch electronic pop like Brise and Illuminati. And his singing isn't half bad either. You'd almost wonder why Malice Mizer needed Gackt in the first place.

You can find his single on Emule. Not sure if his album can be found anywhere. You might try WinMX or SoulSeek. Try downloading the song Honey Vanity to get a good idea of what it's like. Oddly enough, this b-side is not even present on the album. The a-side Promenade is, but i don't think it's as good as Honey Vanity.

Personally, i think it's closer to Malice Mizer then what Mana is doing with Moi Dix Mois (although i haven't heard the new album yet).

I have purchased the majority of my J-Pop collection. I can count on 2 hands the number of songs I have downloaded, and the same goes for the videos I have downloaded. I prefer to buy them, because it gives me bragging rights among my friends. I see my collection as a hobby that is expensive and slightly difficult to maintain. I have 2 BoA DVD's (8 Films and more, First Live Tour 2003...my computer's DVD/CD-RW is set to Region 3), and the rest of my purchased videos are on VCD's.

I buy almost everything from YesAsia, with the exception of J-Pop CD's that are released here in the States, which I get from Best Buy or Tofu Records. I don't know of anywhere else to buy them.

:( i have to have most of mine given to me, cause my comp is too slow to download and i have no money. most of my music is given to me by philosoranter 🙂 , <lots of morning musume> i think the last cd was a gackt one, was it rebirth?

Moi Dix Mois' new single is just regular ole' Moi Dix Mois. I LOVE THE COVER FOR NOCTURNAL OPERA. Gah, I love it so much. I hope Pageant will be on that album o_o/

Lydia

I mainly download my J-Music stuff. I have some original CDs (given to me) - like X-Japan, Art of Life, Glay - Unity Roots and Family, Away; Ayu - Ayu-MI-x IV. and I really, really love them. :) I'd like to have only originals of my FAVOURITES but for now, I don't have money. :( Money is a big problem. In Polish shops you can only buy Kitaro CDs. I love him a lot, but still, the CDs are too expensive for me (even 20$ is a lot, when you don't work, ne?).

I surely download it.
Unfortunally, it's very expensive to me buy cd's overseas. Apart from dollar quotation and shipping, there are even custom fees to pay.
So I'm limited to download only.

I'll sample songs to evaluate the new artists, but as for purchasing albums, I make my rounds through either YesAsia or CDJapan/Neowing. With SME forming that U.S. distribution in Tofu Records and avex trying out the American industry by bringing over artists as convention guests, I would say it's only a matter of time before J-Pop will become an affordable, domestic commodity.

I have an eMac computer, and there's a thing on there called iTunes (for those of you who don't know). When you're connected to the internet you can listen to radio stations around the world with iTunes, so i listen to J-pop on Japan-A-Radio. :music2:

I've never downloaded any J-pop because it probably takes a lot of time! Going to all those websites and looking for songs...

I just bought the normal edition of "Twenty Two" by タッキ&翼 (Tackey & Tsubasa) recently. One of the reasons I don't download is I want to see who's singing the song... and I tend to buy a CD if it is sung by a beautiful girl or a girl who looks like she has a character... Well, I am superficial, not homosexual.

I know who was Tackey 瀧澤秀明 3 years ago when I was watching S.O.S., by the way, Strawberry On the Shortcake is an excellent drama.

And I think he was a pretty good actor. But I don't like him enough to pay extra for the Limited Edition of "Twenty Two" with Photo Book + Poster. Err, I think that is for little girls...

YesAsia. They sell pretty much all of the major acts. Third Stage can get the indies stuff. CDJapan is good for major as well, they charge a ton for shipping though.

Lydia

Back
Top Bottom