What's new

How Do You Dishwash? : 4 Part Poll

How do you do you dishes ? (4 answers per person, please)

• 1-4) 2-4 times a month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-5) I throw away the disposable utensils

• 2-1) immerse in detergent, wipe off mess, straight to rack w/o drying

• 2-5) apply detergent individually, wipe off mess, straight to rack w/o drying

• 2-6) apply detergent individually, wipe off mess, wipe dry, to rack

• 4-4) No, in fact it's good for health.

• Total voters

lexico

後輩
22 Dec 2004
Q1: How often do you do your dishes ?
1-1) after every meal
1-2) once a day
1-3) 2-4 times a week
1-4) 2-4 times a month
1-5) I throw away the disposable utensils.

Q2: What is your method of dishwashing ?
2-1) wipe off mess/immerse in detergent, straight to rack to let dry
2-2) wipe off mess/immerse in detergent, dry(cloth/air), to rack
2-3) wipe off mess/immerse in detergent, rinse under tap, to rack
2-4) wipe off mess/immerse in detergent, rinse under tap, dry(cloth/air), to rack
2-5) wipe off mess/apply detergent individually, straight to rack to let dry
2-6) wipe off mess/apply detergent individually, dry(cloth/air), to rack
2-7) wipe off mess/apply detergent individually, rinse under tap, to rack to dry
2-8) wipe off mess/apply detergent individually, rinse under tap, dry(cloth/air), to rack

Q3: Are you worried about the residual detergent ?
3-1) Always
3-2) Somewhat
3-3) Not at all

Q4: Do you think you can die or get sick from the residual detergent ?
4-1) Yes, so I'm careful.
4-2) Yes, but I don't worry about it.
4-3) No, it doesn't affect me at all.
4-4) No, in fact it's good for health.

Last edited:
Q1 - 1
Q2 - You haven't given me a chioce. I prewash plates before I immerse them in the detergent. So there is usually no mess on them when they are washed with the detergent. Then let them air dry before putting them away
Q3 - 3
Q4 - 3, but you might worry some people now

Question: Why the sudden interest in washing? Not your usual forte.

Forgive me Mycernius; due to my limited experience, obsessive fear of dietary problems, and fear of chemicals I called the "slippery water" on the plates as "mess." I should have used a better term. Any suggestions ?

I was also assuming that the big mess was wiped out before immersing or applying the detergent, but failed to make that explicitly known. Apologies.

Why the sudden interest ? I'm always interested in gastronomic issues as you've probably guessed from the cannibalism thread. I normally take particular care that I have my dishes impeccably clean. It's my weakness I admit. But I remembered what my brother said, and kind of got worried for you folks over there. You know maybe the detergent industry hasn't been telling you everything ... 😊

Edit: Going back to your complaint; given that I have to ask a moderator to edit; I would also ask him/her to add your option to 2-4.

proposed revised wording 2-4) "immerse in detergent, wipe off mess, rinse, dry, to rack" to
2-4) "wipe off mess/immerse in detergent, rinse, dry (cloth/air), to rack."

I can see where your coming from with the hygiene issues. This might be slightly off topic concerning hygiene, but a few studies have shown that our current OTT obsession with hygiene is making future generations more subseptable to infections and disease. Some results have shown that our use of detergent sprays have helped the increase in asthma in children. Comparative studies between Poland and Britain show that we have a higher asthma rate, yet Poland has a higher pollution rate, but we have a tendency to be more paranoid about germs and spray and kill every bug in the house. Our children are not growing up with the same sort of exposure that we did and their immune systems are weaker than ours were at a comparative age. I do appriciate your concern, as you are a parent.

Thanks for edit. Sounds better that way
Detergents are turning me into a mutant. Watch it or I'll use my mutant powers to take over the world :D

Mycernius said:
This might be slightly off topic concerning hygiene, but a few studies have shown that our current OTT obsession with hygiene is making future generations more subseptable to infections and disease. Some results have shown that our use of detergent sprays have helped the increase in asthma in children. Comparative studies between Poland and Britain show that we have a higher asthma rate, yet Poland has a higher pollution rate, but we have a tendency to be more paranoid about germs and spray and kill every bug in the house.
I've noticed a new type of autoimmunity condition called "atopia" spreading among the kids. Like utopia, but with a differnt emphasis in the "no-where", it strikes "anywhere" on the skin. As to blaming reduced level of germs and insects, I am not totally convinced. It could very well be the systemic consumption of chemicals introduced in mass during the post WWII period.
What about the excess particles in the air acting up on the mucous membrane ? Aerosol from the spray tend to leave residual microdroplets floating in the air. These could have been inhaled causing spasmic reactions in the repiratory linings.
I might have to read some of the stuff before I can say anything. What is a popular detergent maker in your area ? :?
Detergents are turning me into a mutant. Watch it or I'll use my mutant powers to take over the world :D
Kawabunga ! Pizza ! Ninja ! Lasagna ! :p Master Yoshi has spoken ! Rinse you dishes clean ! Wipe in, wipe out ! :D

1) 2 (but sometimes I might do it twice)

2) 3 (in my oppinion, drying your dishes with a towel is a complete waste of time 😊 Here we don't have a sort of "rack cabinet" above the sink where you can put them to dry - it saves space, time and towels :) )

3) 2 (but I rinse well!)

4) 2 (I don't think you'll get sick if you rinse well... I mean, no one drinks the stuff, right? Though you never know what they'll tell us about build-up in 5 or 10 years :p )

This hasn't so much to do with washing dishes only but about detergents in general (I think this is a good thing to bear in mind, though!):

Nowadays so many detergent brands use "antibacterial" as a part of their marketing - I find this worrying. If a bottle says "antibacterial", I run away! ^^; My home isn't a hospital and even hospitals have problems with the resistent bacteria hygiene has created. You should always make sure that your toothpaste, detergent, soap etc doesn't atleast have triclosan in it. I was quite surprised that they use it even in toothpaste... I noticed that even some toothpastes that didn't have "antibacterial" written on them contained triclosan!

2-4
3-3
4-2

#1 doesn't apply, since it depends on what I eat. Usually I eat only bread with sausage or cheese. Then, I only clean the stuff I used under clear running water.
I only really do the dishes with detergent if I want to cook & no clean pot or pan is left (IE there is absolutely no regularity).

Just a few remarks about my choices.

2-8 : I either let the dishes dry on the rack (glasses and wooden utensils) or wipe them dry with a clean and dry kitchen towel.

4-1 : I don't think we can die so easily from residual detergent if we are healthy, but it is certainly not good for health

Well, I can't really answer this, because I use a dishwasher. I mean, I rinse my dishes first, load them in the dishwasher, and turn the diswasher on. It washes them and has a "heated dry" cycle, so it dries and sanitizes them, and no, I'm not worried about it. The water temperature is very high and then they go through that heated dry cycle. Gets them pretty clean.

If I wash dishes in the sink, I wash each one separately, with very hot water and detergent, rinse them, and put them in the rack to air dry. I think air drying is the best way to dry, not by towel.

Q1--2, On my days off, I sometimes cook all day and end up doing dishes 5 times. Usually once a day after arguing with my husband over whose turn it is. It is always my turn. Durn...

Q2--7, I soak dishes in hot water first after clearing most of the bits on them, wash individually with a soapy sponge, rinse them under tap and put them on a rack to air dry.

Q3--3, No, I'm not worry about the residual detergent because I rinse them well.

Q4--7

1-1) after every meal
2-2) immerse in detergent, wipe off mess, wipe w dry cloth, to rack
3-3) Not worried at all
4-3) No. it doesn't affect me at all.

Dunno about elsewhere but here in Germany there's a norm that detergents are 98% bio-degradable, just read it recently on some detergent bottle: "Inhaltsstoffe zu 98% biologisch abbaubar gemäß Norm sowieso". Now that I think of it, I think it even was an EU norm.

For number 2, I apply detergent on one plate/dish and work from there and wash as much of others as possible, then apply more. Rather than apply once for each thing.
Then rinse with water and leave it aside stacked, when the water will all sink or move to the center of the plate or dish, I drain all the water over the sick and rack them. I don't use cloths. :p

Keiichi

😊

Well, I use paper plates, so I guess I don't qualify! But it sure does make life in the kitchen easier!
:D

Where is the "I have my spousal unit do it" option in the poll?

Count me in amongst the unwashed masses. (Blithe american humor there).

I also don't do any dishes, mostly because I produce no dirty dishes. Therefor the population of dishes that are in a non-clean state is always 0. ^_^

How do I manage this?

1) Only eat ramen in a cup at home.
2) Only drink bottled water at home.
3) All other meals are taken out at restraunts :D

Honestly, I would prefer not to eat out so much but I refuse to cook just for myself (despite being a fantastic chef). There is just no fun in it unless you are cooking for other people.

Back
Top Bottom