What's new

How do you detect a scam sales call?

JerseyBoy

Back in town
31 Dec 2005
I have just moved into my condo a few weeks ago. During the weekdays, I am not home; so I don't get bothered with the sales calls. But, today, a guy from one of those "maintenance service" companies contacted me through the intercom from the main door for the water/heater maintenance service.
I used to live in the rental; so, I did not get those calls.
But, now I own the property, I guess I need to get used to that.
Going back to that sales call, here is what happened:
1. he showed me how to clean the filter for the water heater.
2. he explained it is my responsibility to take care of equipment beyond the water meter. The main water main is taken care of by the building management.
3. I should get their "ion" water equipment to clean the water to prolong the life of the water heater (which would cost about JPY 400,000 to replace and is expected to last about 7 to 10 years under normal use). Since they are working in the building already, they can waive the installation fee of JPY 40,000 if I sign on the deal right now.
4. I signed on that deal as I heard about that stuff.
5. I called up my folks back in the home town and they suggested I should be careful with something like those types of sales calls. I also did a quick google search on my PC right after the guy left my place and I saw some posts suggesting not to take up such an offer.
6. I cancelled the deal right after that (there is a 8-day cooling off period in Japan). I cancel that agreement before they start the installation (they contacted me at noon and they said they can start the installation at 3 p.m.)
I see some of the forum members are living in Japan because they married Japanese nationals. So, I guess some of you own the property in Japan.
I appreciate your comment on this topic.

Easy to do it your self if it's like the US style.

If you drain about a bucket of water from the water heater every 6 monthes , it should last as long as you are there. Usually all you need is a screwdriver to open & close the valve and maybe a drain hose if it has the threads to hook a hose to. When you open the valve, some rusty water should come out for about a minute or so. As soon as it runs clear, shut it off. Usually if you have a problem with a water heater, it's from the heater unit burning out. Some tanks have two heating units. Instead of replacing the whole tank, the heater element can be replaced quick and easy and cheap. Take a look at you tank and you should see the drain on the bottom if it's like a US type heater. Nothing to it!

Uncle Frank

PS - My tank is 13 years old and no problems.

:)

PSS - If it's gas heated, forget the part about the element replacement, but draining should be the same.

Last edited:
I got another sales call on this water thing. It appears some of the people who moved in this condo building are already purchasing those ion-water cleaner units (same sales script: he is doing a job at this building, he wants to explain how to maintain the water heater unit/water filter---->then, selling something as he is not from the condo management company. I told him I am not interested.)

Don't listen to any form of sales from , water purifiers, water tank cleaners, people who want to drill a bore for you to get water, stock market people, vitamins sellers,magazines, reform companies, kumitori(septic tank cleaners) and anyone else you can think of.

Some times there are legitmate things that you have to do due to the law, so if you don't know my advise to you is get there card and go the the town office to get advise on whether it is something you have to do to obey the law.

Think about it this way- if a company has to employ people to go around knocking on people's doors to try and make sales so it can sustain its business, then the company can't be that great if it has to do this.

Back
Top Bottom