What's new

How do I pronouce my name in Japanese

BlaqJap

Sword Handler
10 May 2004
I'm not sure how to pronouce my name in Japanese. Could someone help me out? My name is Deirdre.

Thank you! :)

BlaqJap said:
I'm not sure how to pronouce my name in Japanese. Could someone help me out? My name is Deirdre.
First problem is checking how you pronounce your name in English.

I've seen people tye themselves up in knots trying to get a 'common pronunciation base' established.

For example I'd say that Deirdre is pronounced with
Deer (as in the animal) + the Dre from Dreaming.

However I'm sure they will be people out there who will pronounce Deirdre, Deer AND Dreaming differently to me. :D

Hmm ... checking the web I see
ディードル (dhi-doru)
ディールドレ (dhi-rudore)
ディアドゥリ (dhiadhuri)
ディアドリー (dhiadori-)
The last one is probably closest to how I would pronounce it

Heh, and I was thinking ディードラ. Wow, that's a lot to choose from. :D

wow lots of choices 👍 Well, I pronouce my name Deer-Dra in English so hmmm so many to chose so little time. :D Thank you very much though.

Glenn said:
Then it would be either ディルドラ or ディアドラ, I believe.
Not ディルドラ I think. It's probably not a short vowel for a start and (more importantly) stick the word in WWWJDIC. 😲
ディールドラ wouldn't be impossible.

Leaving pronunciation to one side for the moment, spelling and expectation are two other relevant points. Will people seeing your name in katakana be able to work out what it was in English and how common is your katakana name? These factors affect how likely it is you will be told your name is 'spelt wrong'.

ディードル 217 ディードル + deirdre 22
ディールドレ 2 ディールドレ + deirdre 2
ディアドゥリ 19 ディアドゥリ + deirdre 4
ディアドリー 163 ディアドリー + deirdre 31

ディルドラ 6 ディルドラ + deirdre 0 ← Seriously, don't get this one.
ディールドラ 4 ディールドラ + deirdre 0 ← Or this one by the look of it.

ディアドラ 13900* ディアドラ + deirdre 144

* NOTE Diadora is some sort of computer company. Nearly all those hits will be for Diadora.

I'm not hijacking this thread because my question should be solved in once answer, but, how do I pronounce my name? It's James.

Jimm said:
I'm not hijacking this thread because my question should be solved in once answer, but, how do I pronounce my name? It's James.
Well strictly speaking you pronounce your name however you pronounce your name. If you want to spell it out in Japanese then ジェームズ would probably be OK.

N.B. Don't forget the caveats about differences in pronunciation mentioned earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom