What's new

How can I learn Japanese efficiently?

ShrivaasSada

Registered
4 Jul 2015
Hi there.

I have just started learning Japanese and have memorized both the hiragana and the katakana. Below is a list of the resources I am planning to use:
Genki Vol. 1 and 2, used in conjunction with Tae Kim's Complete Guide to Japanese Grammar for basic grammar and vocab.
RTK and Japanese Kanji Power (by John Millen) for kanji, hoping to get access to Wakinaki.
Anki for review and practice.
I'd like to know whether I am making the smart choice. I am planning to pass the N3 JLPT, and would like to know how much time it'll take. I can devote my whole day to Japanese for the following month, and can spend about 1 hour a day on weekdays and 2 hours on weekends in Japanese acquisition. So, is it possible for me to do so? I am a quick learner, so I feel I can do it. In any case, I welcome your suggestions.

P.S: Can I hold conversations with a native speaker, understand anime, manga and Japanese video games, and live in Japan if I pass the N3?
P.P.S: I am a 16 year old student, currently in 11th grade.

Based on what I have read, you are going to need more than Genki if you want to pass the JPLT N3. Genki is around JPLT N4, and so is Tae Kim's Grammar Guide from what I remember. I am not sure how possible it is, since I have never taken JPLT.

They are good start with, and if you want to go farther than them you are going wants more books. You are going to want intermediate level or JPLT N3 after Genki and Tae Kim's Grammar Guide.

As for RTK and Japanese Kanji Power, I don't have much say since I only used a RTK for a little bit and I have never used Japanese Kanji Power. In the little of time that I did use it, I found it not to be for me. I know that a lot of people like it, so I recommend at least the trying the first part that is available as a sample online: https://nirc.nanzan-u.ac.jp/en/files/2012/12/RK-1-6th-edition-sample.pdf .

Useful Links:
Japanese-Language Proficiency Test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
JLPT Level Checker - Test your Japanese vocabulary, kanji and grammar
Comparison of Japanese Textbooks Table - Learning Japanese Wiki (RtKWiki)

Thanks a lot. Which books/websites do you recommend past Genki? How did you learn Kanji? And like I asked earlier, is N3 enough to live in Japan, read manga, watch anime and play Japanese video games?

N3 is about enough to order at McDonalds without pointing at the pictures on the menu.

Worry about getting through Genki first, then you can plan what comes next.

Serious question: Are you exaggerating a bit?

I can certainly order at simple restaurants and I doubt I'm much better than N5.

Maybe just a bit.

It certainly won't be enough to understand anime and read comic books, though.

Worry about getting through Genki first, then you can plan what comes next.
I agree with Mike. Focus on Genki first, before start worrying about what comes after Genki.
Which books/websites do you
recommend past Genki? How did you learn Kanji?

There are about three different routes that go after JPLT books, Intermediate level textbooks (Which are listed in the textbooks comparison link in my previous post), and reading and writing real Japanese texts,which the university teacher that I know does after Genki/Nakama.

I started learning in classroom setting, but didn't really pick up speed until the leader of my Japanese group taught me about radicals. They did recommend using RTK, but I used Reading and Writing Japanese Scripts instead. Because I could use the Kanji right in Japanese text from the first lesson, which I found to very help.

On a side note, it teaches about 300 kanji, but it does build up good foundation reading and writing, and introduces translation. You would have to learned more Kanj afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom