What's new

How are non-Japanese Asians treated in Japan?

Omaki

後輩
5 Mar 2008
I'm Chinese and visiting Japan next month for the first time and was wondering how non-Japanese Asians are treated in Japan? Will I encounter any discrimination in this day and age?

How are other asians treated in Japan?

Terrible! They're beaten with a sack of fuji apples upon arrival, and are only allowed in through the back door at restaurants, and then only to wash the dishes.

Are you kidding? Chances are the biggest mistake people will make is confuse you for Japanese and speak to you as such. If you speak passable Japanese you shouldn't have trouble getting by.

Yeah I figured that. I don't speak any Japanese so I guess I will be getting blank stares.

Don't worry, I have met many Chinese there myself, they were all well, alive and funny.
I figured them by their greater curiosity and contact will (hehe, almost like in China itself, you just can't run away. . .), and on other occasions by their language, which I also speak. To the surprise of the Japanese around, always good fun!

Zai Yokohama (de?), go to Chinatown there, you'll feel right at home and get all the informations he pengyoumen, you need. You know your kind, hao bu hao? ;-)

They wouldn't do you anything, I'm half Japanese and my japanese isn't like it used to be, but still they are friendly.
And about that dish thing over there, well there is a slight chance that you have to that.
LOL!:p

I have known some online decent young Chinese ( mainland & Taiwan ) legal residents living in Japan,they love it there.Many of them learned Japanese quick,quite fluent in written Japanese.

No country is paradise,there will always be a few individuals ( jerks & assh@les ) have issue with " foreign " people regardless of race or nationality.It's just the way it is in this world.

Yeah I figured that. I don't speak any Japanese so I guess I will be getting blank stares.

Buy POINT-AND-SPEAK Phrasebook, yubisashi, soon after you arrive at the airport.
People posting "How are *** treated in Japan?" tend not to post their follow-up reports, so your contribution is highly appreciated.

Wondering how you would react when you meet non-Chinese/English speakers in your town.

No country is paradise,there will always be a few individuals ( jerks & assh@les ) have issue with " foreign " people regardless of race or nationality.It's just the way it is in this world.

Very right! But I was lucky, that I met none of them in Japan during five times visiting, thus the same chances may be pretty good if not better for an asian looking one too.

:)

If you hang around a white or black guy expect to be the one looked at to answer everything. I can't imagine what it would be like if my mom came here, a white woman with black hair and brown eyes, and me with blond hair and blue eyes... she would be talked to first every time, and wouldn't know a word, and me, despite speaking Japanese would get ignored. Darker hair, darker eyes= gets the attention when communication is necessary.

Which speaks for the general curiosity of them. . .hidden or not, and if so, its mostly friendly, others may not even ask;-)

Hey thanks guys! The reason I asked is because I've always heard that the Japanese are super racist. I guess you can't always trust the misconceptions of gaijin. I'm really looking forward to my trip.

Back
Top Bottom