What's new

Hours at NOVA

kimo

後輩
28 Sep 2006
I just recently was hired by NOVA and was offered either a 34 or 37 hour work week. obviously the 37 hour week pays more but i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how important that extra cash was and if i might be better off working 34 hours for NOVA and trying to pick up some private students.
Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forums. Having never worked for NOVA i'm not sure what the difference is between the two schedules (if duties are the same for both or if it is only a matter of three hours). My advice would be to take the shorter week but you shouldn't be too preoccupied with finding outside work (which btw I would not let on if I were you) until after you've gotten settled in and have made some good contacts. Anyways, good luck in your new position. Hope you can find time to enjoy all that Japan has to offer.

Details, please. How much more is the 37-hour week going to pay you? What is the difference in scheduling/logistics?

Heya,

I worked for NOVA as a part-time teacher and got a few extra private students and still had more than enough to get by on. So take the 34 hours and enjoy your time in japan. I know i did ;)

thanks

it does pay 17000 more a month once i am on regular pay. but i am going to enjoy Japan. I am just not sure how much of a difference that extra money will make. so any expereince will be appreciated. thanks!

Kimo - I think as an American you can only work the longer week. It has something to do with our agreements between our Governments regarding Visas. When I was there, Americans and Canadians had to work the full week. Australians and New Zealanders could work the shorter week.

it does pay 17000 more a month once i am on regular pay. but i am going to enjoy Japan. I am just not sure how much of a difference that extra money will make. so any expereince will be appreciated. thanks!

That's $144.00 in U.S dollars. What is the total starting monthly pay?

Of those 37 or 34 hours how much are actual 'contact hours' ?

If you don't know yet does "J-A-T" know? Just idol curiosity.

--

Kimo - I think as an American you can only work the longer week. It has something to do with our agreements between our Governments regarding Visas. When I was there, Americans and Canadians had to work the full week. Australians and New Zealanders could work the shorter week.
Actually you can work either one. I currently work for nova. I work 37 hrs now, but started at 34. Basically at 34 hours it means you get 3 full days and 2 half days, and at 37 hrs you get 4 full days and one half day. just decide what's more important 150 bucks or some more time off. I'm glad I started at 34 hours. It gave me more time to explore.:)

good advice

Thanks guys,
this has been very helpful. If I will have no problem living on the 34 hour pay i would much prefer to spend my time exploring. thank you all for your imput and if you have any other advice i would love to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom