What's new

Hotel's in Tokyo.

Sarah-Kate

後輩
13 Aug 2007
Instead of getting myself into a fluster over this i thought i would come and ask for some advice.

Anyway's im going to japan next year in july ive already booked my flight and paid for it and so on....But the fact of the matter is i have no idea what kind of hotel to book.

I'll be going to tokyo obvisly but i want some idea's good hotels nice area's that have easy acess by train's to the rest of the city. But i could just see me booking a naff hotel so to save myself some dissapoinment i come to you guys please help. Websites would be good also i will continue to look for myself but i aprcieate this more.

Thanks.

What is your budget?

To help narrow my choices I first decided where abouts in Tokyo I wanted to stay in. I stayed at the Keio Plaza Hotel in Shinjuku. Its about 4-6 blocks from the hotel to the Shinjuku station. And there is even is an underground walkway that leads from the station to right next to the hotel. I think its a 4 star hotel so it can be a bit pricey but I got a good deal through a travel agent. Otherwise I probably would have stayed at the Shinjuku Washington Hotel which is about 3 blocks away from the keio. Its right next to the Tokyo Metropolitan Office (don't forget to visit and take in the views from the top..its free!) and mostly surrounded by office buildings so its a nice area but a little sterile but just a couple of blocks away there are bunch of restaurants and shops including a Yodabashi camera shop. keioplaza.com/index.html

What type of hotel are you looking for, a cheap budget hotel, mid class, high class...

Hotels which are close to any of the stations on the Yamanote Line all have good access. These areas like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Ikebukoro all have different characters. You could check out the Internet to find out more about these areas and choose one you like.

Here you find the stations of the Yamanote Line:
Yamanote Line - Wikipedia
When you click on any of the station names, it first takes you to the wiki page of that station. There you click on the name of the area where the station is located and get to the page of that area, for example the one about Shibuya:
Shibuya - Wikipedia

The last 2 trips I stayed at the Hotel Asia Center of Japan. It is near the Aoyama-Ichome (my preferred one since I use the Ginza Line a lot) and Nogizaka subway stations. It is reasonably priced, with a good restaurant with reasonably priced food. You can obtain Internet discounts from their website. Figure about $60/night.

My budget is about 500 British pounds as ill be only in the hotel for aweek i thought that would be ok.

I was already looking at hotel's in shinjuku they seem to have good price's

My budget is about 500 British pounds as ill be only in the hotel for aweek i thought that would be ok.
I was already looking at hotel's in shinjuku they seem to have good price's

500.00 GBP = 115,059.33 JPY

That's roughly $1,014 U.S.D.

I personally like the Tokyo Prince. Not necessarily the best looking, but I like the neighborhood, which has plenty of green space and it's quiet. It's right next to Zozoji Temple and across the street from Tokyo Tower. I always have a great view of the tower from my room. The JR station is a 10 minute walk, but there is a subway station right on the corner. If you get on the Prince Hotel website you can sign up for a "Prince Club Membership" and save a little. The breakfast at the Tokyo Prince is marginally better than the other Prince hotels (best breakfast I've had has been at the Tokyo Hilton. Awesome food. Downside is it felt just like I was staying in a generic American hotel - no character.

On my first trip to Tokyo, I stayed at the Shinagawa Prince because of it's relatively low price, hotel amenities, and its location next to Shinagawa Station (2-3 min walk). My first impression was 😲 What a small room!!! I also discovered that there's not much of interest for a tourist in the area. :(

Now that I know better, I think I would have had a better time if I had stayed at the Sawanoya Ryokan near Ueno. I would of had a better taste of traditional Japanese hospitality (mind you, it's an economy class inn so you only get economy class service). And I wouldn't have spent most of my budget on my accommodation. There are also a lot of interesting places around the area for a 1st time tourist to Japan. (Do a Google search.)

Shinjuku hotels are kind of like the Shinagawa Prince (small and impersonal) and most are farther from the station, I think.

BTW, don't spend the whole week just in Tokyo. Spend a day or two in Kyoto if you can or Nikko, at least. I strongly recommend staying at a nice ryokan somewhere, anywhere (maybe Izu? 👍 ).

I'm not to fussed about the size as ill only be sleeping there.
Thanks guys i have plenty of time to shop around! Also i will be with friends who are japanese so im sure they will take me place's

theres a very good resource page on the main site that can help.
Myself, I stayed in Shibuya City Hotel when I was over. About 50 squids a night for a box room but very clean and well presented. A few minutes walk from the station but aint too bad because its a walk down the main road and interesting bits.
Its described as being at the bottom of 'love hotel hill' but if that does sound a bit seedy, don't worry, its closer to the main road and shops than to the love hotels and close to some good clubs too.

If I dont give it the cheapskate and hit a monthly mansion next visit, Ill definately rebook and shibuya city.

Aint found a link but i got the number and webadress from 'rough guide to tokyo'

Back
Top Bottom