What's new

Homemade Sushi

riisachan

後輩
3 Aug 2008
My partner and I made sushi this evening - I think we used too much wasabi.

How much do people generally put in?

We kinda put a line of the stuff right down the middle of it before we rolled it up. When we started eating it we thought we may of put a little too much in.

Any advice?

How much wasabi is good is very difficult to determine, since it depends on how much people can take (in terms of hotness) and like to have. Even in Japan, some adults and many kids eat sushi without wasabi.

Because hotness of wasabi is totally different in chemical composition from that of chili and other hot peppers (the kind of hotness Westerners and many peoples in the rest of the world are used to), I have noted that many Westerners can't take too much wasabi. So, I have no idea how much is just right for you.

I think you should test it a couple of times before you find how much is just right for you.
Personally, I would put a tiny dab (with the tip of your pinkie) per bite and go from there.

Hope it helps, and happy eats! 🙂

Hmmm...I think we went a little overboard last night then. Oh well, you can't learn from mistakes if you don't make any.

We kinda put a line of the stuff right down the middle of it before we rolled it up. When we started eating it we thought we may of put a little too much in.

Any advice?

No wasabi in your rolled sushi, but just put it in the dipping sauce as much as you want (to your taste).

The following morning after you eat your sushi, keep and use the left-over soy sauce & wasabi dipping sauce to mixed well with your salad dressing in your fridge such as a bottled French dressing.
0.5 to 1 tsp of the left-over for 2 tbsp of the dressing (to your taste)

I am 87% sure that you can enjoy a slightly different salad.

Great idea! Can't you also sprinkle the seaweed wraps over salad as well?
Yes, it's great on salad, adding fragrance and nutrition.

Best when very dry nori is torn into tiny bits or cut with scissors into very thin shreds!

Because hotness of wasabi is totally different in chemical composition from that of chili and other hot peppers (the kind of hotness Westerners and many peoples in the rest of the world are used to), I have noted that many Westerners can't take too much wasabi.

Really??? Most westerners that I know during two years of study in Japan can handle wasabi very well, often more than many Japanese I have seen. I know that I often shock people by how much I use. I'm not bragging, I just have seen westerner's tend to handle it easier. (westerner's being a very broad term here)

I didn't think so until I joined JREF and read a few posts from people living in Europe and/or US saying they couldn't handle it.

After that, I've asked some people I met in the US how they felt when they tasted wasabi for the first time. Quite a few told me it took time to appreciate it.

So, I'm not saying Westerners in general can't handle wasabi. My observation was based strictly on first-timers.

Too much wasabi kills the taste of the other ingredients !
Gourmands and gourmets are different people !
I agree with pipokun !

California Roll

You could try some California Rolls that don't use wasabi at all. It's not the authentic stuff but still delicious. The sushi is rolled into a cone shape with a nori covering. Non-traditional ingredients are used as filling. For example, a slice of avocado with crab. My favorite is salmon skin roll, which is grilled salmon with skin on to give it some crunch plus alfalfa sprouts and a thin stick of carrot. Soo good when dipped in soy sauce. 👍

Unfortunately, I can't find it in Tokyo. ZEX has something like it but not what I had in LA.

I'd say it is up to your own perference. I like wasabi on my sushi, but I do like a madras curry as well.
I will tell you of my first encounter with wasabi. It was in San Francisco and I had some sushi and on one side was this green paste. I didn't know what it was, so in it went in one go. Didn't half make my eyes water:flame:
Mind you one of the hottest things I have tried is the chilli sauce done by one of the Gurkha chefs when I used to work at the local army camp. Its smell could make your eyes water.:( Wasabi was like a mild toothpaste compared to this creation.

Back
Top Bottom