What's new

Hokkaido

Kotegaeshi

後輩
18 Mar 2014
Just some questions about Hokkaido , is Hokkaido significantly different than the rest of Japan In regards to culture and day to day life? (In addition to colder weather, Ainu population and some European architecture gained through contact with Russia)

I tried a search, but could not find anything.

The Ainu population is far less represented than natives in Canada. They are mainly visible in tourist areas, selling Ainu style goods (i.e. wood carvings).

For Hokkaido, it's said it's less hung up on history and tradition, since there aren't thousands of years of tradition. So, it's pretty modern. That said, I can't see a lot of difference between Sapporo and most cities in Japan, outside of scale. It's a nice, medium sized city.

"Hakodate Russian Orthodox Church"

It was built in 1858.
It is the origin which built the church in the Russia consulate.
Although the church went through total destruction by fire according to the fire in Hakodate in 1907, it was rebuilt in 1916.

"Trappistine Convent"

Japan's first convent, established in the 19th century.

"Old British consulate of Hakodate "
Old British Consulate of Hakodate

"Old Public Hall of Hakodate Ward"
ツ【窶ケナ停?敘クナ?テ吮?ケテヲナ津カ窶ーテッ窶慊ーツ】 窶敘クナ?テ卩スs窶「ツカ窶ーツサツ・ニ湛ニ竹ツーニ団ツ振窶ケツサツ催?窶冂

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response posts and pictures, is life and work culture in Hakodate and Sapporo more relaxed compared to similar sized cities in the rest of Japan?

Thanks for the response posts and pictures, is life and work culture in Hakodate and Sapporo more relaxed compared to similar sized cities in the rest of Japan?

I would say no. Same "black companies," hard work, hard play lifestyle.

Rent is a pinch lower, and the streets are wider than most of the country, so I like that about the atmosphere.

Any city you go to will have good and bad points. I don't think Sapporo is significantly better than others. Fukuoka has been ranked the most liveable in Japan, a few years back.

The population of Hakodate is about 270,000 people.
The town of sightseeing and fisheries.
The number of tourists in the 2013 fiscal year is 4,108,000 people.
The Shinkansen will start business in 2016.
There are a hot spring, historic relics, and delicious food in Hakodate. .
There is Onuma Quasi-National Park.

Hakodate-related video

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom