What's new

Hockey Talk!

godppgo

先輩
26 Jan 2006
Myself have been in the states for about 6 months now and whoever said Americans don't know and don't care about hockey couldn't be more wrong. I was at a San Jose Sharks game just a few days ago and the rink was rocking as hard as the Canadian rinks. The fans are as devoted if not more than the hardcore hockey nuts in Canada. Most importantly, they know their hockey. With 3 local teams, I can really see hockey is here to stay in California.

With less than 10 games left until NHL playoff, I figured it's a good time to predict the final 16 playoff bound teams. Here are my predictions:

Wetsern Conference:
1 DETROIT
2 DALLAS
3 CALGARY
4 COLORADO
5 NASHVILLE
5 LOS ANGELES
6 EDMONTON
7 ANAHEIM
8 VANCOUVER

Eastern Conference:
1 OTTAWA
2 CAROLINA
3 NY RANGERS
4 PHILADELPHIA
5 BUFFALO
6 TAMPA BAY
7 NEW JERSEY
8 MONTREAL

Anyone wanna throw in their prediction?

I'm normally a huge hockey fan, but I haven't followed it as much this season. I think it's because my favorite team, the Penguins, has been such a flop.

They had one of the greatest players ever (Mario), several All-Star caliber players (Mark Recchi, John LeClaire, Sergie Gonchar, Ziggy Palffy), and two up-and-coming possible future Hall of Famers (Sidney Crosby and Marc Andre-Fleury). Now, half of them are gone for one reason or another and the team is in DEAD LAST.

Not a happy NHL fan...

Yeah... Penguins aren't doing that well this season. The team itself not only has on-ice but also off-ice problem as well. It's really sad to see Mario finish his career like this, he should have retired years ago. Crosby is someone to look forward to though, keep the faith up!

Mario leaving the game was a sad day in my life. I've been a fan of him as long as I've known what hockey was.

Hey, that makes me feel young! :D

I really think Mario would be the best hockey player ever lived if he has a healthy body. It's a shame that he has so many health trouble through out his career...

I definitely agree there. I think he's the best, most talented player to suit up in the NHL.

Gretzky may have better stats, but he played most of his career in an era that had much more scoring and less defense.

My Flyers are driving me to drink. One night, they play like world beaters, and the next they suck eggs. I know we've been plagued by injuries from day one (No Primeau, no Johnnson, Forsberg in and out), but the uneven play from game to game, sometimes period to period is damned annoying, especially with a so-so power play and occasionally bad penalty killing. In past years I used to worry about the goaltending, this season it's pretty much everything but netminding. URGH!!!!

okay it's official now... Canucks' out for the season:(

I guess I'll cheer for the Sharks now.. GO SHARKS!

Flashjeff said:
My Flyers are driving me to drink. One night, they play like world beaters, and the next they suck eggs. I know we've been plagued by injuries from day one (No Primeau, no Johnnson, Forsberg in and out), but the uneven play from game to game, sometimes period to period is damned annoying, especially with a so-so power play and occasionally bad penalty killing. In past years I used to worry about the goaltending, this season it's pretty much everything but netminding. URGH!!!!

Flyers seem to have so much drama these days! I had Forsberg on my hockey pool and he was doing so well until he got injuried.... I thought the Flyers were for sure going to make to the top 3 in the eastern conference. The team kinda ran out of gas after olympic break I guess...At least you have playoff hockey to look forward to. I am going to follow the Sharks now (since I live in San Jose now).

Well, my Flyers put a hurtin' on the Rangers Saturday afternoon, and despite everything they'vebeen through this season, Philly still has a chance to win the division. Amazing. But, at the same time, you can't ignore the Devils who seem to have forgotten how to lose and are just as dangerous as ever. As long as Martin Broduer continues drawing breath, Jersey's a serious contender for the Cup.

I thought this was about Hockey... but it's about Ice Hockey lol.

We have a small ice hockey leauge in here, but it's not so populair. Which is I think a bit awkard because normal skating is populair in here, and also normal Hockey is really populair. With both speedskating and normal Hockey the dutch are in the top 3 of the world, but playing ice hockey... NO

That's to bad, because watching a Hard sport is pretty nice :D

Btw, will anyone go to Latvia on the 5th of May to visit World Ice Hockey Championship games? What are your forecasts? Who will take the first place? The second? Et cetera... :)

A pity that Crosby and Ovechkin, the two top rookies in the NHL this season didn't make it to the playoffs. It certainly would've been great for the league's overall image if they had so they could have been showcased for all to see. Meanwhile, my Flyers are sucking eggs against Buffalo, right now, it wouldn't surprise me if they wound up swept! URGH!!

So it's playoff season now....

Who are you cheering for?
Who will lift the Stanley Cup?
Who will win the Stanley Cup Playoffs MVP Award (Conn Smythe Trophy)?
Post your comments, rants, and trash talk!

I like the Oilers, they're a hard working team and I think it's about time the cup returns to Canada.

Crazy Russian said:
RUSSIAN ICE HOCKEY TEAM RULEZZZ !!! 👍 :)
A. OVECHKIN IS THE BEST !!!
See you on 5 May. ;)

That kid's got talent but I am sticking to Crosby from the great white north!

Russia has produced so many talented hockey players during the last 2 decades. The "Russian Rocket" Pavel Bure is what got me into hockey. Man I can still remember taking those 2hr bus rides to the rink to see Bure does his magic on ice.

godppgo said:
Who are you cheering for?
Who will lift the Stanley Cup?
Who will win the Stanley Cup Playoffs MVP Award (Conn Smythe Trophy)?
Post your comments, rants, and trash talk!

I prefer Russian Ice Hockey Championship. I living in Cherepovets, I support Severstal Cherepovets. 2 years ago we took the second place. We also had taken the third place twice. That's all. :) Now the team plays at least not very well. I'm resting my hopes upon the next season...
As regards NHL... I don't support any team. I support Russian ice hockey players and wish them good luck.
Ovechkin is young ice hockey genius. He seems to have scored more than 50 goals during the season. (52 or 54. I don't remember...)
I am deeply persuaded Russian ice hockey players to be the best ones in the world. :)
My favourite players are:

1. Pavel Bure.

2. Alexander Ovechkin.

3. Alexei Kovalev.

4. Aleksei Yashin.

5. Evgeni Nabokov.

6. Sergei Gonchar.

7. Pavel Datsyuk.

8. Maxim Afinogenov

Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera... On the whole all Russian players.

And of course I adore such ice hockey geniuses as Tretyak, Kharlamov, Fetisov...

Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Johan Hedberg, Darius Kasparaitus, Matthew Barnaby, Garth Snow, Eric Lindros, Marc-Andre Fluery, Kevin Stevens, Steve McKenna, Sidney Crosby. I think I could go on all day.

Flashjeff said:
A pity that Crosby and Ovechkin, the two top rookies in the NHL this season didn't make it to the playoffs. It certainly would've been great for the league's overall image if they had so they could have been showcased for all to see. Meanwhile, my Flyers are sucking eggs against Buffalo, right now, it wouldn't surprise me if they wound up swept! URGH!!

Looks like the Flyers are alive again and the series is all tied up at 2-2. I have a feeling it might go to the 7th game.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden....and some more. As much as I admire the talents the European players have, I just don't see a team lead by European captain capable of winning the Stanley Cup. I don't think they have the heart and drive for it when compared to North America born captains. But then Alfredsson's Senators might just prove me wrong this year... we'll see.

Another note on Russian players. I think they are the most physical among all other European countries. Not only can they handle the puck, they can also hit.

Hideki_Matsui_Beast said:
Right on! Sid the Kid is where it's at! 📣

You're really a fan of Crosby eh.. 👍
It has been a while since NHL has a superstar equivalent to that of Mario or Gretzky.. If Crosby is really as good as what they're saying, I think this kid will make some history in the NHL.

I've been in Colorado for about a year and a half now... and im kinda disappointed in the lack of interest in Hockey here. I lived in Calgary for 13 years and played hockey for 12 years, hockey is life there.

I just hope that the Flames can win game 7 now so that there is a Battle of Alberta, it will be insane.

zeroyon said:
I've been in Colorado for about a year and a half now... and im kinda disappointed in the lack of interest in Hockey here. I lived in Calgary for 13 years and played hockey for 12 years, hockey is life there.
I just hope that the Flames can win game 7 now so that there is a Battle of Alberta, it will be insane.
Man those early monring practices can really be something eh.. not to mention when it's -20C outside...

I know what you mean about hockey being an almost non-existence sports in the states. I think there are still Americans who are into hockey but its just that there are three other major sports here and hockey fever got diluted as a result. I have been living in San Jose for 8 months now and I can't believe how little coverage the Sharks got for getting into the playoff! The Canucks were out a long time ago and Vancouver media's still talking about it.

Yeah the Battle of Alberta's gonna be crazy but I hate to see Canadian teams killing each others so early tho, I am hoping at least 3 Canadian teams can make it to the semi-final (am I asking to much?).

Back
Top Bottom