What's new

History of Japanese Nightlife Circa 1950-1960

CoffeePrince

後輩
19 Aug 2010
I understand that Japan got completely devastated after World War II, but I'm trying to find some information on Japanese nightlife during the 1950s-1960s, more exact- 1964. This is for a script that I'm writing and even after scouring the web for hours, I can't find a single resource on it. I'm hoping that someone read about this somewhere or a Japanese person is willing to comment.

I understand that Japan got completely devastated after World War II, but I'm trying to find some information on Japanese nightlife during the 1950s-1960s, more exact- 1964. This is for a script that I'm writing and even after scouring the web for hours, I can't find a single resource on it. I'm hoping that someone read about this somewhere or a Japanese person is willing to comment.
What are you talking about more exactly ? Mizu shobai ? The provinces or Roppongi ? All I know is that there was a 10-11 pm curfew law passed in the early 1960's...good luck with the script. :p

The thing about Roppongi was that it happened around the later years of the 1960s, almost 1970s. I need something earlier which is the problem. I never knew about the Mizu Shobai (just researched it now thanks) and it adds a really creative spin to the concept since the location is suppose to be the den of evil (I kind of laughed since I was thinking disco, and that just didn't seem right at all). Thanks a lot.

The thing about Roppongi was that it happened around the later years of the 1960s, almost 1970s.
It was starting to come to life the early to mid-'60's (after the American Army left and tv studios moved in...:p) but just didn't really taken off until disco.

History of Japan's nightlife in the 1950s and 1960s??
I think that's for historians to comment, and whatever comments from historians (including amateur/hobbyist researchers) you can find are in Japanese. Maybe you should start with studying the language first or buying yourself a ticket to Japan to gather info from the locals.

At any rate, what I know growing up in the 50s and 60s is that Roppongi didn't become what it was until the 1970s when discos started to sprout there. Roppongi as a hangout for foreigners emerged in the 1980s and later--chiefly due to the presence of US military facilities in the area in the past. Some pics of Roppongi and periphery in the late 50s and early 60s:
http://www.roppongi.jp/minato/

In the 50s and 60s, nightlife at its best was in Ginza. Ginza is still regarded the best, but the exclusive clubs have scattered in other parts of Tokyo, such as Aoyama, Roppongi, etc., today.
If you're talking about traditional Japanese nightlife (featuring geishas), there were Kagurazaka, Fukagawa, etc., where the geishas were top-rate (outstanding dancers/musical performers & entertainers in their own right). Geishas in other areas were regarded second-rate and some were borderline prostitutes.
Geishas are dwindling in Tokyo (as are in other parts of Japan) but can be still found in the Asakusa area and maybe still in the Akasaka area.

Thanks a lot guys. So I think it's now clear that the only form of night life that is useable is the water business. I knew that discos were the only reason why nightclubs even formed up in not only the US and Japan, but most of the world.

On a side note, whoever decided afros were awesome clearly was high, but then again, it was the 1970s...

Thanks a lot guys. So I think it's now clear that the only form of night life that is useable is the water business. I knew that discos were the only reason why nightclubs even formed up in not only the US and Japan, but most of the world.

On a side note, whoever decided afros were awesome clearly was high, but then again, it was the 1970s...
Nightclubs with live bands (...or jukeboxes lol) were here 50 years before disco. 😊

I personally like Afros, and all other 70's retro chic, but it does depend on the person wearing it. Way better than dreadlocks !!! 😌

Roppongi as a hangout for foreigners emerged in the 1980s and later--chiefly due to the presence of US military facilities in the area in the past. Some pics of Roppongi and periphery in the late 50s and early 60s:
http://www.roppongi.jp/minato/
Wow ! Great pictures ! 👍 The station point for Japanese soldiers a monument to all things militarism indeed. Streets in the late '20's already rearranged for pedestrians, and even wider than Ginza's ! 😌

But I'm still a ****** for any signs of shitamachi feel like rolled up shop flags instead of signboards...So will also check out the site for anything of late Meiji Azabu which was so notoriously undeveloped to the point it was avoided by even rickshaw drivers.

Thanks, epigene ! 🙂

Back
Top Bottom