What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Help History of Japan topics

Reaction score
Hello again! I am looking for interesting topics in Japanese history that I could explore with my knowledge of English / Russian. I would like to diversify the scientific environment of my university with new works.

Lothor

Freelance proofreader
Donor
Reaction score
There's always the topic of the four Kuril Islands that have been occupied by Russia since World War II but Japan would like back.

Reaction score
There's always the topic of the four Kuril Islands that have been occupied by Russia since World War II but Japan would like back.
The Kuril Islands are a fairly researched topic and very politicized.

I was thinking about the first diplomatic relations. However, nowhere can I find this wonderful monograph in Russian, and even in Japanese. The publication is very rare, and for researching a topic it would be great to have one.

1631141822257.png

1631142017031.png

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
The Russian exploration of Hokkaido in the 18th and 19th centuries is quite fascinating, too. I remember I read Captain Golovnin's account (Captivity in Japan During the Years 1811-1813) decades ago (in German). The Japanese captured him and his crew; after a failed escape attempt, he tried to learn as much about Japanese culture and language as he could. His crew was later released and returned to Russia.

Definitely an interesting topic! I wish I could read Golovnin's original account (the German edition was abridged). :)

Reaction score
The Russian exploration of Hokkaido in the 18th and 19th centuries is quite fascinating, too. I remember I read Captain Golovnin's account (Captivity in Japan During the Years 1811-1813) decades ago (in German). The Japanese captured him and his crew; after a failed escape attempt, he tried to learn as much about Japanese culture and language as he could. His crew was later released and returned to Russia.

Definitely an interesting topic! I wish I could read Golovnin's original account (the German edition was abridged). :)
It actually sounds very interesting.
Alas, this topic has been quite explored. Although, if I do not write a full-fledged scientific work on this topic, then it will definitely be suitable for articles.

By the way, the topic of Orthodoxy in Japan is not well researched. I have access to a small number of interesting sources, although I'm not sure if anyone has not used them already. In any case, I would write an article for this site about how the Russians saw their mission and the Japanese in the framework of the Orthodox worldview

mdchachi

Reaction score
It actually sounds very interesting.
Alas, this topic has been quite explored. Although, if I do not write a full-fledged scientific work on this topic, then it will definitely be suitable for articles.

By the way, the topic of Orthodoxy in Japan is not well researched. I have access to a small number of interesting sources, although I'm not sure if anyone has not used them already. In any case, I would write an article for this site about how the Russians saw their mission and the Japanese in the framework of the Orthodox worldview
What is Orthodoxy? The Russian Orthodox Church? Looks like they still have a presence so that could be interesting. “ú–{³‹³‰ïbƒnƒŠƒXƒgƒX³‹³‰ï The Orthodox Church in Japan

Reaction score
Reaction score
В Википедии есть список тем по истории Японии.

[URL Unfurl = "true"] History of Japan - Wikipedia [/ URL]
Все эти темы хорошо изучены, и я бы не стал обращать внимание на большинство из них, только если бы не работал над историографией тем.

Историография на самом деле является сложным явлением / дисциплиной в исторической науке, куда бы я не пошел как полноценный исследователь.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reaction score
Wikipedia has a list of topics on Japanese history.

Ah, sorry. I accidentally wrote my answer in Russian.

All of these topics are well studied, and I would not pay attention to most of them, after all I don't work on the historiography of the topics.
Historiography is actually a complex phenomenon / discipline in historical science, wherever I won't go as a full-fledged researcher.

Buntaro

運動不足
Reaction score
I was thinking about the first diplomatic relations.

Are you interested in the history of the early Meiji Era, when Japan was transformed from a feudal society into a modern nation (and began having diplomatic relations)?

Reaction score
Are you interested in the history of the early Meiji Era, when Japan was transformed from a feudal society into a modern nation (and began having diplomatic relations)?
Yes. However, I should note that the term feudalism for Asian countries is rather controversial, because it comes from European historiography, for which it was coined as a description of Medieval legal-political relations.

Now I am interested in this period, for the reason that there was a clash of worldviews, European and Asian. Therefore, I am especially interested in the history of the Orthodox Church of Japan. Let the topic be researched, there is something to say in it, even if a lot of documents have been researched, I can give a slightly different view of the phenomenon of Orthodoxy in Japan.