What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Hi

SaikyoJoe

後輩
Reaction score
Hey and good day to you.

I have been living in Japan for years now and I am ready and willing to partake my wisdom unto all of you, my fellow forum members.

I am SaikyoJoe of 34 years. Originally of Belgium but functionally Japanese since moving here while i was fourteen. And i have been staying here ever since.

To be honest theres not that much to do around here. I'm looking for like-minded individuals to share common rants, events and news with.

If you want to share something, please go ahead and just ask.

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
Reaction score
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. I guess you're using Opera, as your IP address seems to point to Norway. Anyhow, nice to have another old Japan hand on board. :)

Lothor

Proofreader extraordinaire
Donor
Reaction score
Hello and welcome!

Here's my question. How was the move from Belgium to Japan when you were 14, which I guess is an unusual age for someone to make such a move. Just wondering what the first few months were like in Japan for you. Did you speak any Japanese when you came here?

SaikyoJoe

後輩
Reaction score
Certainly. Lemme tell ya pal, I spoke a little Dutch and French from way earlier, but did not catch onto the finer linguistical properties of the japanese language until much later in my life.

You could say i struggled vehemently until knowing the hiragana by hand. Before that everything was gibberish and i did have a hard time making myself understood.

It was a sad but short period, luckily.

Top Bottom