What's new

Help with wa

BamaFan2989

c'est moi.
19 Oct 2004
Hey guys I was reading another topic, and what is the function of wa exactly? are you supposed to use it only if you are a female?

I am getting a textbook or a book this weekend. so just bear with me lol!!!^^

BamaFan2989 said:
Hey guys I was reading another topic, and what is the function of wa exactly? are you supposed to use it only if you are a female?

I am getting a textbook or a book this weekend. so just bear with me lol!!!^^
Yeah... no offense intended, of course, but you really need to slow down, get yourself a textbook, and start from the beginning.

The "wa" that was being discussed in that topic is one that comes at the end of the sentence and is generally typical of female speech (though it's becoming rarer now and many girls, especially those of the younger generations, don't use it at all). There's also another sentence-final "wa" which men use, though the accent is different, and I believe it's is a primarily used in dialect. Sentence-final "wa" isn't too important for you as a beginning learner.

There's also the "wa" (written "ha" in kana) that's found in the middle of sentences, and used to mark the topic of the sentence or sometimes to express contrast. This is the "wa" you'll be seeing the most of, and that will be explained (hopefully) in great detail in your textbook.

And if you don't mind my asking, what is it exactly that's gotten you so interested in learning Japanese? I only ask because you seem incredibly (to the tune of 11+ posts per day) eager to so do. Motivation is a good thing, but learning Japanese is a long and sometimes very trying process, so patience is a very important quality to have if you want to achieve proficiency in the long-term.

Yes I know, I am ahead of myself, but I have this odd passion. My friend went to Japan, and loved it. He tells me about it, and that is how I first got interested. Then I started watching Great Teacher Onizuka Live Action, and I just loved it. I really love anime ^^! So I decided that some day I surely want to go to Japan, so I figured I might need to learn some basics, but now that I have started, I love it. I love trying to make the sounds, drawing the characters, or something. I just really love Japan or something. I don't know. Like I said in other posts... I don't have the money right now, lol. So I might do like others and use the cash for lunch money. I am going to go find just a beginner's book, and learn that. Then when I get up enough money, I am going to get a book like "Genki" or "Japanese for Busy People." I do a lot of the "lessons" from about.com in classes at school^^. I know only about 20-25 of the hiragana, and when I get finished with that, I am going to Katakana. I think I am going to try to learn the structures, grammar, and stuff next. Then Kanji, because it has been told to me that it is the hardest. It seems the hardest to me. Do you guys think I post too much? I am soooooo sorry for being a nuisance. I will try to cut down my posts, and I will ask my friend who went to Japan, but thanks so much for helping me guys!!

ありがと。
Brad

How about explaining your desire to learn to your parents and talking them into spotting you the money for the first book and tape/CD of some good textbook series? Kids actively seeking to better themselves through self-study is such a damned rare thing that my suggestion might actually work. They'll be skeptical, perhaps, but as you continue (if you continue) to work your way through it and make some actual progress, they'll warm to the project and be much easier to talk into buying the second and subsequent set of learning materials. Remember, it isn't necessary to talk them into funding the whole shebang right from the get-go. Start small, show progress, then use part performance to justify future expenditures.

Yes you are right, I just hope my parents are that understanding^^. I have to ask Mike, are you a christian? You have a verse in your sig. I didn't know if it was there to be there, or if you are a christian. I am a christian. The only reason I really asked this was because I thought Japan had a very low rate of christians. Just wondering....

Yes I am going to try it, and get the books. I used to have a small job at my church washing dishes. I could have made the money in a month there. It was like every Wed. for $10. Now though, they don't need my help anymore. So I am just going to try and talk to the old parents. hehe. Thanks guys!

Brad

BamaFan2989 said:
Do you guys think I post too much? I am soooooo sorry for being a nuisance. I will try to cut down my posts, and I will ask my friend who went to Japan, but thanks so much for helping me guys!!

ありがと。
Brad
Sorry if I came off as sounding rude or something -- I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that you were being a nuisance. On the contrary, it's always nice to see someone so enthusiastic about learning Japanese. It's just that a lot of the questions you've been asking are things that either (1) a good textbook would be explain for you much more clearly and in better detail than the replies you'll get on this forum, and/or (2) are more advanced points that you probably shouldn't concern yourself with at this point in your studies.

There's nothing wrong with being eager to learn, but when you're just starting, you need to have some structure to your learning, combined with a good amount of patience and discipline. Otherwise, you're just going to end up spinning your wheels and getting frustrated, and possibly burning yourself out too early -- and I'd rather not see that happen to someone who seems to have a genuine desire to learn the language.

But don't let that discourage you from posting -- especially if, after getting and reading through your textbook, there are still things that you find yourself confused about. There are plenty of people here (including myself) who would, of course, be happy to help.

by the way mikecash.. i was always self motivated but my parents never gave me the money. thus time passed and i lost my spark to learn things in the world. slowly i declined and became depressed. life tore me down and i was just a child and i had little money. at that time the internet was little developed and it still is now since no one has thier stuff together to teach a language. but hey.. life's not fair right?

Kamisama said:
by the way mikecash.. i was always self motivated but my parents never gave me the money. thus time passed and i lost my spark to learn things in the world. slowly i declined and became depressed. life tore me down and i was just a child and i had little money. at that time the internet was little developed and it still is now since no one has thier stuff together to teach a language. but hey.. life's not fair right?

I have a similar sob story myself, but don't care to share it here. Major difference is that the apparent difference in our ages means that for "internet was little developed" I need to substitute "internet was unheard of".

Either his folks will help him out, or the won't/can't. And he won't know unless he asks them. He'll have a better chance if he plans what to say and how to present it.

I assume his parents love him and want to see him better himself through education. I also assume that being Christians they would be open to following the example of the Almighty and help those who help themselves.

BamaFan2989 said:
Yes you are right, I just hope my parents are that understanding^^. I have to ask Mike, are you a christian? You have a verse in your sig. I didn't know if it was there to be there, or if you are a christian. I am a christian. The only reason I really asked this was because I thought Japan had a very low rate of christians. Just wondering....
Brad

I am a devout Atheist. But I'm not one of the virulently anti-Christian ones you will encounter in the course of your life.

You are correct that Japan has a low rate of Christians. Except in my home, where the ratio is 3 Christians to 1 Atheist.

I had the verse in my sig because I was prompted to Google up the source for an allusion I heard while listening to the Confessions of St. Augustine. I thought it a very sage piece of advice.

BTW, Mike, my parents aren't christians. Then don't go to church or anything like that. I was lucky enough to have friends care for me, and invite me to church. I was afraid to ask if you were a christian, because I didn't want to sound stupid or insult you. One of my friend's says he is an atheist. We don't talk that much anymore though. That's weird, today in class we started a movie about the Tenn. trial in the '20s, about the teacher teaching the Darwin Theory, and he had an atheist or agnostic (spelling?) to defend him. I forgot the name though. I didn't mean to turn this into a religion thread lol^^. Do atheists follow the belief of no God or some God but don't know? Those are the only two things I have heard, never looked it up though. These things I heard though, lol, came from kids in my grade who seem to have the IQs of Green Beans, and the attention span of a cat. I feel I am a bit more mature than most people in my grade. Though I don't get straight As and am not head of the class. Maturity to me is not all about knowledge, there is a lot of common sense in this world. Well just respond, please, to the many random questions throughout this post ^^ lol. Thanks!

Time to study Hiragana!
Brad

Don't feel bad. When I was growing up I was under the impression that Atheists were all Satan worshippers.

"Atheist" just means a person who is without religion or religious beliefs. Which pretty much excludes Satan worshipping from the picture.

Regardless of your parents' personal religious convictions (or lack of them), they still have the role and function of being parents. Hey, I'm an Atheist and I still pay for my kids' piano lessons. And I'm glad to do it....so long as they practice and make an effort at it. That's why I suggested that you'll find talking them into the second volume of a series will be much easier than talking them into the first.

Oh, I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. On the other hand, I never had the impression that atheists were "satan worshippers". I knew they weren't. It gets on my nerves when people say they are. It shows, to me, a lack of respect. If you respected something then you would at least know something about it, in my opinion. Also, the way the post sounded, I didn't like the "lack of convictions" part. It tears me up to know that my parents may not be going to Heaven, and may be spending eternity in Hell. That is where Faith, Interpretations, and just beliefs in general come into play though. Also, you said when you grew up, you thought that they were satan worshippers too. So what made you become an athesit, if you don't mind me asking. Or is it just the fact, that you never believed, that you are automatically an atheist. Just wondering, because my friend never told me much, and I just wanted to know so I could have more knowledge on the subject.

Brad

edit: just a few grammatical errors ^^

I didn't mean any offense toward your parents. People either have religious convictions, or they don't.

I was born and raised Southern Baptist. In junior high and high school I pretty regularly attended a Pentecostal church with a good friend. From personal experience, let me tell you that it is far more difficult to reach the decision to stop believing in a religious faith than it is to reach the decision to start.

I'd rather not go into the reasons. Not because they're personal or anything like that. It's because I don't like proselytizing in reverse (unconverting the saved) anymore than I like the normal kind (saving the heathens). And since there's always the remote possibility that I am entirely wrong in my (lack of) beliefs, it would be unforgivably irresponsible to unconvert you. On the other hand, if my lack of belief in a supreme being and an afterlife turn out to be correct, then no eternal damage is done to you by leaving you alone to practice your Christian beliefs.

Ok, I just took that a little too personally ^^. I just thought it was interesting to hear that you were once a christian. I could tell this how you talked. It was just interesting.... and it's also cool how you stay faithful, to the beliefs you have. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom