What's new

Help with translation

darkodarko

後輩
18 Dec 2008
I was wondering if translating "east-west brutality" in Japanese is possible. Could it be read by a native without hesitation. If not, could you recommend something.
I also need help translating "tiger dance" I can't rely on a internet translator to translate these because this is rather important. And besides, everyone gives me different results and when I translate it back into English, it says something completely different :0

Please and thank you,
darkodarko

I was wondering if translating "east-west brutality" in Japanese is possible. Could it be read by a native without hesitation. If not, could you recommend something.
No.

I wonder if native speakers of English understand what you mean by what you wrote??

I also need help translating "tiger dance" I can't rely on a internet translator to translate these because this is rather important. And besides, everyone gives me different results and when I translate it back into English, it says something completely different :0

The members here are not here for giving out free-of-charge translations. This forum is mainly for Japanese language learners helping themselves and helping each other.

Expect help only when you give it a try first.

Brutality is targeted for a certain audience. It has to do with a certain type of music and is commonly used within the scene. I have given it a try, I'm not sure what else to do. I can't learn Japanese that fast and online translators aren't reliable. I'm not asking much. Just a mixture of words, not even a sentence, let alone a paragraph.

I'm not asking much. Just a mixture of words, not even a sentence, let alone a paragraph.

Actually, that is the main problem.
Unless it is something concrete and gives everyone the same image, it is impossible to translate without the background and context.

I don't understand. What is death metal in Japanese then? If you asked your grand mom what death metal is, she would have no clue and probably wouldn't understand the term. Thats completely normal considering she isn't into death metal and has no knowledge of the term. I am sure Japanese people understand east west correct? Add brutality and it clearly means brutality across east and west.

(sigh...)

West: 西 nishi
East: 東 higashi

The above is literal translation, just the direction.
But if you are talking about the Western countries and Eastern countries, then translation would be different.

If you look up "brutality" in disctionaries you'll find more than one word.
残酷さ zankokusa, 残虐行為 zangyakukoui, 残忍 zannin, 蛮行 bankou, etc.
Which is correct? It depends on the context!

I really wonder how many people (native speakers of English) would have a clear picture from the phrase "east-west brutality"?

:sick:
Same goes with "tiger dance".
Translation does vary depending on what you are talking about, in what context, where, to whom, etc.

Slow down guys :0 I mean east west as in countries, not direction. Being brutal is just being a more extreme form of metal. So east-west brutality just means brutal bands across the world.

The context is music not crime.

That didn't even make sense to me in English...

Who cares if it makes sense to you, its not about you. Its a combination of words that make sense to plenty of people around the world. It is the same thing as saying east-west death metal, but brutality is a more fun and passionate word to use. Brutality is commonly used in the death metal scene across the world. Japanese death metal bands have brutality on their sites all the time but in English.

:sick:

ブルータリティ
No other translation would exist. But again, I can't understand what this loan word means, as same as almost all of native Japanese speakers can't.

Alright, being musically intuitive, Brutality is a genre of Death Metal guys. Darkodarko...if you want a translation, there is none. You will have to wright it in Katakana since this is a world wide use word, and not native Japanese.

The only genres in Japan are always written in Katakana unless it is a traditional Japanese music style.

However you can use the West and East kanjis that were posted earlier and combine them the kanji for country ( 地方 ) or coast ( コースト )

Maybe this:
東部の西の残忍性

Not necessarilly. What I typed above means East-West. see "Maybe this"

Post #7, Toritoribe has what you are looking for.

Hey I found something interesting. Burutara and burudesu are suppose to be a Japanese term. What do they both mean though. Why is that east west so long! I need it as short as possible :/

I'm guessing you couldn't find a Japanese person who's a fan of this music and knows English well enough to know what you're trying to say. That's your best bet, because we don't know enough to say for sure (well, I don't, anyway).

It was brutality of the East and brutality of the West together that you wanted, right? I would render it as 東洋・西洋ブルタリティ as a first guess. 東洋 is the East, and 西洋 is the West. ブルタリティ is "brutality" spelled in Japanese. Instead of the ・ you could use と, which means "and." I still don't know if that's what you're after, though.

Well Japanese bands do have some crazy names, spellings, and grammer for their bands or titles of songs. If this is the case, then I would do this:

東/西 残忍性 or 東/西 ブルタリティ

I wouldn't use 残忍性, because it doesn't have the connotation of a musical style. According to wikipedia, the abbreviation ブルデス is used, and the more formal name is ブルータル・デスメタル.

For east/west, 東西 or 東・西 are just the directions. They don't have the meanings of the East (Orient) and the West (Occident).

Can I get the translation for orient and Occident please.

東西ブルデス is what I have for now. The thing is, I need it the shortest possible of characters possible. 東西ブルデス is great, but if it doesn't have the correct meaning of east and west, I'm not going to use it.

If the OP is looking to explain what "East-West Brutality" is to a Japanese person who is not familiar with the term, he needs to to explain what it is as he has in his later post (a type of metal music with a harder edge, was it?).
Unless he/she is into that scene, they would not associate the words, East-West or Brutality, with a type of music no matter what language they are written in.

If the Japanese person/people you are trying to reach is already a fan of such genre, he/she is likely to be already familiar with the term, so all you have to do is use the English term (East-West Brutality) and just write it in Katakana (イースト・ウェスト・ブルタリティー).

I personally think it is adorable that these poseurs, I mean, musicians use words like Death, Brutality to describe their music...pfft.

darkodarko said:
Can I get the translation for orient and Occident please.

I wrote them up above: "東洋 is the East, and 西洋 is the West." It may be better to go with ASHIKAGA's version of Japanized English, though.

If the OP is looking to explain what "East-West Brutality" is to a Japanese person who is not familiar with the term, he needs to to explain what it is as he has in his later post (a type of metal music with a harder edge, was it?).
Unless he/she is into that scene, they would not associate the words, East-West or Brutality, with a type of music no matter what language they are written in.

If the Japanese person/people you are trying to reach is already a fan of such genre, he/she is likely to be already familiar with the term, so all you have to do is use the English term (East-West Brutality) and just write it in Katakana (イースト・ウェスト・ブルタリティー).

I personally think it is adorable that these poseurs, I mean, musicians use words like Death, Brutality to describe their music...pfft.

Don't talk about something you have no idea about. Pure ignorance. Sorry that these bands don't give you what you want because they aren't sellouts, alright?

LOL...sorry I got a good chuckle out of that one.

But he is right: イースト・ウェスト・ブルタ would be the correct way whether the person knows it or not.

From what I read via Toritoribe-san's link, "brutality" as a music genre is called "buru-desu" (ブルデス) which is short for "brutality death metal."

I think this is what you should use to make Japanese realize what you're talking about.

Regarding how to combine it with "East-West," I don't know. Translation doesn't work like building blocks, just putting translated words together. You have to be creative and move away from literal translation.

If you want a really good translation, look for professional help. :)

Awfully irritable for someone lookin for free translating work.

Had it occurred to you that if the Japanese sites all list the term in English, then that may be the preferred way to write it? ブルデス is not an actual Japanese word, it's a transliteration of an abbreviation of the "bru" and "death" parts of the English name. It's about as Japanese as Tom Cruise. But if you have such a hard-on for Japanese writing, use イースト.ウェスト ブルデス. That would be like "east/west burudesu." Actually I kind of like the sound of that.

But if I ever run in into anyone sporting a tattoo that says that, I will laugh my *** off. In pity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom