What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

help with japanese names

stat

後輩
Reaction score
Hello, I am working with a friend on a story that takes place in the 1860's Japan, immediately prior to the Meiji Restoration. The story concerns several characters - two low-ranking samurai from the Choshu han, the elder samurai's fiancee, and a rich peasant/merchant, to whom the elder samurai is in debt. I wonder if anyone can help me with choosing appropriate names for the characters. Right now, the two samurai are named Ito and Saigo, but we've come to realize that these names are too identified with historical personages of the time.

We are trying to find common, generic names for the samurai - names that would be appropriate to the time, but not immediately connotative of real, historical figures. Could anyone provide suggestions?

Also for the female character: We originally named her after a friend of ours, Kumiko, not knowing that the -ko ending was not used until the modern era. Obviously, we have much to learn. If anyone can suggest a name that would suit a woman of good standing, I would greatly appreciate it. If it matters, I imagine her being born in the fall, so a name that suggests the change of season (end of summer, etc.) would be ideal.

Lastly, the merchant character needs only a first name. Currently, we are using a sur name, Yamashita. Again, any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance for any recommedations. The project has been a very good learning experience already, and perhaps someone here can help us with these important, final touches.

stat

後輩
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, I do not read Japanese. Is the recommended site available in an English version? Stat

Top Bottom