What's new

Help with japanese culture!!

emmamalam

後輩
20 Apr 2010
Hi, I am currently doing a branding and packaging course at university and we are currently doing a cultural branding project on Japan, so I really need some inside help!!

Basically I need to get a general feeling of Japanese culture and packaging, so if anyone could send me photos of the city, packaging in shops from supermarkets to clothes shops, and in any restaurants if possible, and email them over.

I also need to try and get a picture of a Japanese family (the whole family that lives in the household) photographed with their weekly shopping, in their homes so that we can compare shopping and lifestyle habits within different cultures.

I also need a list of top selling products that are really popular, or any products that have any really bad packaging that looks like it needs updating that would be great, and also the famous brands so i can research them.

Specific questions -
- range of retail enviroment - is it more supermarkets, markets, small family owned shops, etc?
- who does the actual shopping in general - e.g. men/women?
- shopping habits in urban areas as opposed to rural?
- consumer lifestyle? needs and aspirations?
- culture of food - how is it eaten, when, with who??

If anyone could help I would be so grateful!!!

Last edited:
Hi, I am currently doing a branding and packaging course at university and we are currently doing a cultural branding project on Japan, so I really need some inside help!!
Basically I need to get a general feeling of Japanese culture and packaging, so if anyone could send me photos of the city, packaging in shops from supermarkets to clothes shops, and in any restaurants if possible, and email them over.
what kind of research have you done on your own so far? Asking other people for help doesn't count. Have you gone to the bookstore? If you did, you might see Japanese Graphics Now or something similar. Amazing book, full of interesting and creative Japanese design and packaging.

I also need to try and get a picture of a Japanese family (the whole family that lives in the household) photographed with their weekly shopping, in their homes so that we can compare shopping and lifestyle habits within different cultures.
there've been several photo projects on this. LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You

I also need a list of top selling products that are really popular, or any products that have any really bad packaging that looks like it needs updating that would be great, and also the famous brands so i can research them.
If anyone could help I would be so grateful!!!
I think 2 of 3 is enough for one night :)

thanks for the link to the photo project.

no, i've done plenty of my own research, just trying to get a Japanese perspective on it now as it is part of our project requirements, that's why I was asking.

Let's focus on food/grocery market.

- range of retail enviroment - is it more supermarkets, markets, small family owned shops, etc?

Unlike UK, Japanese market is quite fragmented, meaning more stores and more competition.

- who does the actual shopping in general - e.g. men/women?

Japanese tend to go to food stores more frequent than UK/US shoppers as Japanese tend to cook meals (not reheat only) at home. Plus, Japanese dietary life usually put emphasis on fresh foods. So, housewife is the most for supermarkets.

- shopping habits in urban areas as opposed to rural?

Urban shoppers go shopping on foot more often, but rural shoppers drive car for shopping less freuqent.

- consumer lifestyle? needs and aspirations?

I don't get it.

- culture of food - how is it eaten, when, with who??

A mix of tradition, new technology and fusion, etc. Typical examples include Obento at convenience stores. Rice made with konjac jelly (low calorie); micro-weavable noodle (chilled noodle with gelled soup makes it real tastes of noodle restaurants), etc.

Ahh, the internet is a wonderful place, don't bother looking anything up yourself. These days when kids write their references on their reports it says,

JREF: nice gaijin
JREF: Astroboy
Other references: Google.

In my day, we had to walk to school rain, hail or shine. It was 15 miles one way and we couldn't afford shoes, so we went barefoot. In winter, we had to wrap our feet with barbed wire for traction. We had to walk up hill , both ways and we didn't have mouses to move the cursor around. We only had the arrows, and if the up arrow was broken and you needed to get to the top of the screen, well, you just hit the left arrow a thousand times.

Kids have it so easy now.

I'll be so proud (and disturbed) the day I'm considered a reliable academic resource. Send me a copy of that bibliography so I can frame it next to all my diplomas.

ok FrustratedDave as I have already described I've done pages upon pages of research, but part of our marks requires us to actually find out inside information from someone of that culture, as in their words, so do one and whinge to someone else.

ok FrustratedDave as I have already described I've done pages upon pages of research, but part of our marks requires us to actually find out inside information from someone of that culture, as in their words, so do one and whinge to someone else.

I was just playing with ya.
13168CRY_MORE_NOODWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-1.jpg

You have to admit the pic was funny.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom