What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Help with assignment

Karan

先輩
Reaction score
I'm in second semester Japanese, and having some real trouble with sentence structure. Words aren't hard to find out, but I always have trouble with creating sentences that are formed properly. My assignment is to write a page about my penparu that I interviewed. My problem is that I'm not sure how to say "She likes living in Hiroshima" or simply, "She likes Hiroshima".. now I understand the word for She, as a pronoun, is kanjo, and of course suki for like, and Hiroshima for Hiroshima :) .. But I'm not sure how to say it. If I say "Hiroshima ga suki desu." In a paper only about her, is it understood to mean "She likes Hiroshima?" or what?

I'm not trying to shortcut my assignment, just looking for help so I can learn. So any help with the following phrases would be great. :)

"Now in Hiroshima, it's winter, so it occasionally snows."

"She has 4 family members, her older brother, her mother, and her father."

In regards to occupation, "Her otoosan is a driver, and her okaasan is an omiisei" (I wrote omiisei down, but I forget what it means?)

"She likes her hobby, table tennis."

Does this sentence make sense?
"kanjo no tabemono daisuki wa gohan desu."

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it as I love learning Japanese!

-Karan

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Karan said:
...now I understand the word for She, as a pronoun, is kanjo...

Not quite. The word is kanojo.

Karan said:
If I say "Hiroshima ga suki desu." In a paper only about her, is it understood to mean "She likes Hiroshima?" or what?

This is a bit tricky. If you simply say "Hiroshima ga suki desu" then you are saying that you like Hiroshima, even in a paper just about her. To say that she does, you would have to say "Hiroshima ga suki da sou desu," "Hiroshima ga suki rashii desu," "Hiroshima ga suki da to itte imasu," or something like that to show that it's conjecture on your part. In Japanese you can't actually say what someone likes, thinks, feels, etc., because you aren't them and it's impossible for you to really know that.

Karan said:
"Now in Hiroshima, it's winter, so it occasionally snows."
"She has 4 family members, her older brother, her mother, and her father.
"In regards to occupation, "Her otoosan is a driver, and her okaasan is an omiisei" (I wrote omiisei down, but I forget what it means?)
"She likes her hobby, table tennis."

What are your guesses for these? I'd feel bad if I did them without you doing any of the work since this is a class assignment, and I need to know your attempts so that I'll know that you've done some work on these.

Karan said:
Does this sentence make sense?
"kanjo no tabemono daisuki wa gohan desu."

Are you trying to say that she likes to eat rice? First of all, "she" is kanojo (see above). Secondly, in order to say this you'll have to learn about relative clauses and nominalizing sentences. Depending on exactly how you want to say it, you could say "kanojo no daisuki na tabemono wa gohan da sou desu,," "kanojo wa gohan o taberu no ga suki da sou desu," "kanojo wa gohan o taberu no ga suki da to itte imasu," etc.

I'm not sure how much of a help this is, because I don't know you're level and what you're learning in class right now. I hope it helps, and if you have any other questions I'll do my best to help you.

Last edited:

Karan

先輩
Reaction score
今、中に ひろしまは冬です。 雪が時々ふります。 Is my guess, but it probably sounds really choppy and is wrong . I'm not sure of the proper word to say "And so..."

かのじょの家族はおにいさんとおとうさんとおかあさんいます。 Now this doesn't seem right at all.. I think I have the correct words for the nouns, but.. I don't know

As far as her parents occupations, I'm not sure at all, I must confess :bored:

and as far as the hobby one goes.. かのじょのしゅみはたきゅです。 I don't know how correct that is either.

As you can see, I only really know of one basic sentence structure.. And that's my biggest roadblock in learning.. I'm sorry if I came off as completely clueless (well, I somewhat am.. but still).. Thank you for the help you gave me, and yes I was trying to say she like eating rice... Well... That her favorite food is rice..

And, to say "Her mother's store's name is izumi" would it be.. かのじょのおかあさんのみせの名前はイズミです。 ? Because that seems wrong just because of all the possessives... Which reminds me.. is おみいせい the term for a store owner? I don't take good enough notes when i write things down, I always assume I'll remember what I meant =/

Karan

先輩
Reaction score
oh, also... sorry to bother.. but how might you said "She said....."

Could I trouble you for another translation.. like.. "She said she liked it" or "She said Hiroshima was nice" or .... just anything.. I think that'd be a nice thing to know how to say..

Thanks if you can help!

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Karan said:
今、中に ひろしまは冬です。 雪が時々ふります。 Is my guess, but it probably sounds really choppy and is wrong . I'm not sure of the proper word to say "And so..."

I think 今は広島は冬です。雪が時々降ります。 is good, if you're just using basic sentence structure. I'm reluctant to tell you about "and so..." because you haven't learned it in class yet. I don't want to give you more than you need to know for now, and end up confusing you.

Karan said:
かのじょの家族はおにいさんとおとうさんとおかあさんいます。 Now this doesn't seem right at all.. I think I have the correct words for the nouns, but.. I don't know

Pretty good. I think you can just say (彼女には)おにいさんとおかあさんとおとうさんがいます。 Or maybe おにいさん、おかあさんとおとうさんがいます。 if you don't like all of the とs.

Karan said:
As far as her parents occupations, I'm not sure at all, I must confess =/

For driver I would go with 運転手 (うんてんしゅ).

Karan said:
and as far as the hobby one goes.. かのじょのしゅみはたきゅです。 I don't know how correct that is either.

Table tennis is 卓球. Other than that this one is good. :cool:

Karan said:
And, to say "Her mother's store's name is izumi" would it be.. かのじょのおかあさんのみせの名前はイズミです。 ? Because that seems wrong just because of all the posessives...

The English version has lots of possessives -- "her," "mother's," and "store's" -- so you can't really get by in Japanese without them. :) Your sentence is perfect. :cool:

Karan said:
Which reminds me.. is おみいせい the term for a store owner? I don't take good enough notes when i write things down, I always assume I'll remember what I meant =/

If you're not sure about a word, you should check the dictionary. In this case, neither おみいせい nor みいせい work.

Last edited:

Glenn

一切皆苦
Reaction score
Karan said:
oh, also... sorry to bother.. but how might you said "She said....."

Could I trouble you for another translation.. like.. "She said she liked it" or "She said Hiroshima was nice" or .... just anything.. I think that'd be a nice thing to know how to say..

Thanks if you can help!

Simply put "she liked it" and then といいました. So in this case, 好きだと言いました.

nhk9

先輩
Reaction score
>かのじょの家族はおにいさんとおとうさんとおかあさん います。 

If you want to be even more grammatically correct with the above sentence, try putting the particle "ni" in between "kazoku" and the "ha"

And inserting the particle ga in front of imasu is not a bad idea as well. Of course you could omit particles during casual speeches, but since this is an assignment, I assume that your teacher wants everything to be written out.

Karan

先輩
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I've turned in the assignment this morning.. so I missed the comments before completing it, but from your advice I've learned where I may have made a mistake, and that is a very valuable thing.

Doumo arigato

Top Bottom