What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Help with には.

GenjiMain

Kouhai
Reaction score
Hi all. In the sentence 昨日のパーテイーには学生が二十人もきました I believe には is used instead of just に or は to add contrast. Is this correct, and if so, is this sentence contrasting the party against something else (aka it's not contrasting 昨日 or 学生)?

Cheers.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
には is just the topicalization of に there. It totally depends on the context whether には has a contrastive nuance or not. The same goes to just は. は can be the contrastive marker as well.

GenjiMain

Kouhai
Reaction score
If I google topicalization the definition is as follows: a mechanism of syntax that establishes an expression as the sentence or clause topic. From my understanding, は alone is capable of doing this. In that case, what's the point of adding the に before the は in this example?

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
"Topicalization" is the most common English translation of 主題化 in Japanese grammar. 昨日のパーテイーには is the topicalized version of 昨日のパーテイーに, for instance.

を and が are always disappeared behind は when it's topicalized, but other particles can be used with は, e.g., には, では, からは, までは, へは, よりは, etc. The difference in nuance betweed "paticle + は" and just は differs depending on the context. には might have a stronger contrastive nuance than just は, or vice versa.

Top Bottom