What's new

Help understanding a symbol

Konnan67

Registered
12 Dec 2019
Hello everyone, I have a symbol that I know is Japanese, and I have good reasons to believe it's a math equation. Can anybody help me with that? I don't know from where to look at the picture.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20191211_224604.jpg
    IMG_20191211_224604.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 152
That's not Japanese, and not a math equation, either. Why can you say you know it's Japanese?

That's a symbol I found completing a game in a math exam, and knowing the teacher I knew it meant something. So I asked him and the only thing he said was "Japan"

You know maybe it's just not curvy enough, or not placed on the correct side

Well, I hope it won't end up with useless effort. You need to remember a fact that it can't be Japanese, anyway.

EDIT:
I'm Japanese, by the way. Tell your teacher that it's not Japanese. If he still insists that's Japanese, show him the following paragraph and see his reaction.

それほんとに日本語だと言い張るおつもりですか。冗談にしても、生徒がそれを真に受けて意味を見つけようと無駄な努力を続けてしまうような質のものは、あまり趣味がいいとは思えませんが。これを読まれた後は、今からでもあれは日本語ではないと認めて、せめてご自分の生徒をこれ以上の時間の浪費から救ってあげてはいかがですか。

It has nothing to do with Japanese, but the upper part of it looks like

71 + 4

with some extra lines thrown in to obscure it.

So I'll say that the answer is "75".

If the game you completed is on a piece of paper, please scan it and upload it here, and we can figure it out together. Looks kind of interesting...

I'm Japanese, by the way. Tell your teacher that it's not Japanese. If he still insists that's Japanese, show him the following paragraph and see his reaction.
If this teacher is insisting that it's Japanese, I have a very strong feeling that said teacher is not Japanese and has a weak or nonexistent understanding of the Japanese language.

The OP also said he said "Japan", not "Japanese", so perhaps it has some other significance related to Japan? Who knows.

Either way, I think I'll let others figure it out. ;)

I was going to point out the same thing, Japan not Japanese.
I think it looks like two transparencies, one on top of each other. Maybe if you shift one of them, you'll get the answer.

Okay guys I will try
This is minus the 71+4

Once again, maybe to see the link with Japan the picture has to be rotated

Oh and the game it's from is a "crossed words" making the shape I gave you in the end

Attachments

• 15761325212714334225203586825916.jpg
    15761325212714334225203586825916.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Ah, yes, indeed "Japan" is not "Japanese language", so it might not refer to Japanese letters or characters. However, I don't think your second picture has something to do also with Japan, not only with Japanese language.

Okay guys I will try
This is minus the 71+4

Once again, maybe to see the link with Japan the picture has to be rotated

Oh and the game it's from is a "crossed words" making the shape I gave you in the end

Yes, I can imagine what your original picture would look like if the 71 + 4 part were removed. However, the remaining parts are meaningless to me.

Are you sure you assembled it correctly? I don't think so.

Can't you send the original puzzle, so we can try it ourselves without having to rely on the correctness of your version?

I was going to point out the same thing, Japan not Japanese.
I think it looks like two transparencies, one on top of each other. Maybe if you shift one of them, you'll get the answer.
When I saw that they had was Japan, I started thinking in terms of geography. Could they be railway lines?

I'd also like to see the context for this question. Like, are you being asked to give a number as an answer? If you want help solving a puzzle, it helps to give your helpers all the info

Then, simply he was wrong.
The hint was Japan, not "Japanese". That could mean a lot of different things without being "wrong". It could be related to a map of Japan. It could be related to reading downwards or right-to-left. It could have some meaning that would be obvious in retrospect between the teacher and the class. Was there a previous segment about Japan that would offer a hint in this case? Did Japan come up as an answer to a different exam question? Really, what we have is a puzzle with insufficient information.

Did you read my second post?
Ah, yes, indeed "Japan" is not "Japanese language", so it might not refer to Japanese letters or characters. However, I don't think your second picture has something to do also with Japan, not only with Japanese language.

Correction. I meant "my fourth post", as I quoted and linked above. Sorry if this is the cause of your confusion.

Back
Top Bottom