What's new

Help translating non-hentai Final Fantasy doujinshi

Koganei

後輩
12 Oct 2003
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me translate my collection of Final Fantasy doujinshi (they contain no hentai). You would get access to the direct raw scans for translation for free instead of shelling out lots of money for them ^_^ like on Ebay, anyway please email me if you are interested.
thankyou ^_^

hi, koganei. if you have scans on your computer, you can "cut and paste" at this link:
world.altavista.com/

there is a word limit for each time you translate, but you can use it for free as many times as you like!! switch the scroll down menu to "japanese to english" and your on your way.

Thanks for your replys but the problem is that the scans are pictures, not text so I can't cut and copy ^_^U but thankyou for your suggestions anyway

...awful...mabye slightly...but not by much... Well which is it? Do you think if he could use that link, he would need his stuff translated?

Yes, of course. The style in which manga is written would multiply the errors seen here to an unreadable n-th degree.

今日は私の誕生日です。家で両親と祝います。アイスク リームを食べつつテレビを見ろ事が好きです。漫画を読んで いる最中でした。

Today is my birthday. The parents you celebrate at the house. While eating the ice cream, watch at the television we like thing. It was the midst when cartoon is read.

It depends on how accurate he wants to be and how much interpretation he plans to do (from the garbled English). For example, from textbook sentences like それは私の人生における最良の日であった you get "As for that it was the best day in my life." Not bad, not perfect. Then you try something like その話題に関係する代表的なものをとりあげる時に使う you get "When picking up typical ones which are related to the topic, you use." Still, do-able, maybe. When you start throwing in non-standtard Japanese phrases (dialects, common usages that are grammatically wrong) you run into trouble.

For example こじゃんとうまい (very tasty, Tosa-ben) is "It is densely will not question" わたくしは京子どす (My name is Kyoko, Kyoto-ben) is "I do the Kiyouko ど" and lastly for today, まいど、おおきに (basically, "Thanks a lot, please come again" Kansai-ben) gives us "The ど will not, it makes large makes large."

I hope you can see why these online things might be useful for getting a handle on textbook phrases, but not on other things. It is always best to have translations of things like comics, songs, poems done by a person. A machine cannot pass along subtle meanings or linguistic variations.

Koganei, I hope you find someone to help you. Sounds like you have a fun project ahead of you :)

Thanks Mandylion but the problem with the text editors like bablefish is that you actually have to have written text to insert into the translation box, and as they are picture files, not a text file I cannot directly input the text from each page into the translation box. And as Elizibeth says the translation utilities online usually churn out a load of stuff that is hard to read in plain english anyway!

Which is why, if possible, a fellow fan of the series, or someone who would just like to practice their translation skills to help me out.

You might try going to the home page section of Japan Forum and looking in a non-language forum. Or doing a search from the home page.

There's an anime & manga forum at the main page!

Back
Top Bottom