What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Help translating ambiguous phrase

neeb

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I wonder if someone could provide me with a meaningful translation of this phrase:
字が小さいのでたぶんこのくらいだと思います
Automatic translation tools offer variations of "And I think that perhaps this much character is small"... Which doesn't make much sense of course!
It is part of the description of a vintage item on an auction site, and follows on from a copy of the English text and numbering that is on the object itself.

There is also this phrase:
古い品ですので小さいスリキズがあります
Which I know refers to minor scratching due to the age of the item - but is it best translated to mean a single specific small scratch, or general (multiple) scratches?

Thanks!

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Hello,
I wonder if someone could provide me with a meaningful translation of this phrase:
字が小さいのでたぶんこのくらいだと思います
Automatic translation tools offer variations of "And I think that perhaps this much character is small"... Which doesn't make much sense of course!
It is part of the description of a vintage item on an auction site, and follows on from a copy of the English text and numbering that is on the object itself.
The meaning differs depending on the context. What is the sentence preceding it?

There is also this phrase:
古い品ですので小さいスリキズがあります
Which I know refers to minor scratching due to the age of the item - but is it best translated to mean a single specific small scratch, or general (multiple) scratches?
Thanks!
Both are possible.

neeb

Registered
Reaction score
The full text is as follows. It is a description of a vintage watch, and the quoted English lettering is from the engraved text on the back of the watch:

古い品ですので小さいスリキズがあります
表 SEIKO AUTOMATIC KS HI-BEAT
JAPAN 5626-7110T
裏 OPEN THRU GLASS PUSH SET LEVER PULL
STEM STAIN LESS STEEL 5626-7110
WATER RESISTANT 150477 JAPAN A
字が小さいのでたぶんこのくらいだと思います
尾錠は KSマークがあります 竜頭にも KSマークがあります

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
Since it's a description about a vintage watch, 小さいスリキズ refers to "general (multiple) scratches", I think.

字が小さいのでたぶんこのくらいだと思います would mean 字が小さいので読み取りにくいけど、たぶんこのくらいだと思います "it's hard to decipher letters because they are too small, but probably what's engraved would be like this".

Top Bottom