What's new

Help translating a few words within a sentence

md1310

後輩
30 Sep 2013
政府は旅行客に人気の高い観光地に焦点を合わせ、より 小さな銀行にも同様の措置をとるよう強く求めています

The official translation provided for the above sentence is "Government officials are now leaning on smaller banks to do the same, focusing on popular tourist destinations."

I got confused with "toru you" ? Any help would be much appreciated.

You may be confused by the omission of に after よう. Are you familiar with "verb + ように"?

Did you get this from that godawful program on NHK for learning English through news stories?

動詞+よう(に) is a marker meaning to request something to be done. なにしろ婉曲的な言い方で命令形のほど強くありません。「に」抜きではより硬い言い方です。

Quick replies, thanks. I figured the issue was due to some sort of ellipse. As for grammar, right now I'm using Japanese for Everyone (by Gakken), An Introduction to Beginner and Intermediate Japanese, A Handbook of Japanese Grammar (which is available for free on archive.org and which is quite good).

Yes, this was taken from the NHK site. I'm a little surprised someone is coming out so strongly against it. What is with the rancor? Could it be that the articles too dumb down compared to natural, everyday Japanese? I also use the Hiragana Times for reading practice, and the level seems the same. I've struggled hard to find good, written, reading material- in this case essays and articles (not manga, tv shows, books, or short stories) - which are also translated into english. This is all I could turn up. Does anyone have any better recommendations?

I asked about a specific television program on which this article was also used. It does a wretched job of using the news to teach English. This particular episode also (in Japanese) operates on the presumption that "foreigner = tourist", which pissed me off.

I know nothing of whatever site NHK may also have used it on.

Back
Top Bottom