What's new

Help the noob please :)

Toozig

後輩
7 Dec 2013
Hello!!
I've started learning japanese by myself with Genki's course book.
Everything works great ( at least i think so ;) ) and now I've reached the point of start writing simple things and i need YOUR help to make sure I'm writing things right and if not- correct my mistake!
I wrote this introduction about my self (it's part of the book), please review-
はじめまして イドさんです。
イスラエルじんです。
わたし はへいしのさんねんせいです。
しがとはせんしです。
どうぞよろしくおねがいます。
translation (what I meant )
How do you do, I'm Ido.
I am Israeli.
I am a soldier for 3 years
my job (as a soldier) is a combat soldier (I don't know how to write "I serve as...")
Pleased to meet you.
I really need your help with this! Thank you very much, looking forward to write here. :)

さん is an honorific suffix. You can't use it for your name.
"Job" is しと.

my job (as a soldier) is a combat soldier
ぐんたいにつとめています。

I am a soldier for 3 years
へいしになってさんねんです。

hey! Another question from the noob ;)

IS THERE ANY DIFFRENCE BETWEEN-
1.このかばんはわたしです

2.これはわたしのかばんです
If i get it right, the first sentence is 'this bag is mine" and the 2nd one mean "this is my bag"
I just want to know if i got all this KoReKoNo thing right.

No.1 should be このかばんはわたしです. このかばんはわたしです means "This bag is me. (i.e. "I am this bag.")". No.2 is OK.

FYI, このかばんはわたしです can have another meaning "As for this bag, it's me." in a specific context.
e.g.
このふたつのかばんをかったのはだれですか。
Who bought these two bags?

あのかばんをかったのはかれで、このかばんはわたしです。
The one who bought that bag was him, and as for this bag, it's me. (= the one who bought this bag was me.)

Question about the use of-をください.
Does しんぶんをください for example mean "please give me newspaper" and if so, in what situations we use it?
I know that it's used when I want to buy something but can I use it let's say when I want someone to pass the salt from the other side of the table?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it can work in that situation. Honorific forms such like 塩[しお]を取[と]っていただけませんか is more appropriate when you ask for a stranger, though.

塩 しお = salt
を = topic marker which verb acts on.
取って=to pick up
頂けませんか= won't you receive or get, accept? It is polite.

So translation literally would be
Can't you please pick up the salt.

So

Please pass me the salt

Another question!
I've started to learn verbs (I'm taking it slow...)
A question about the verb SuRu (do)
How do i use this verb to describe something like " I do homework" or for example お金 を します (Google translate did the kanji I'm not familiar with manyt kanjis so far)Does it mean "I do money" (I know it's stupid sentence but it's just for the understanding of the verb) or, as google translate says it means "I want money"
Meanwhile i use only the "base" form and the present affirmative / negative conjugations so please in your smart answer try to use it so i can easily understand!

Again i'm thanking ahead! thank you so much!

The great thing about the verb suru is it can be very versatile.
As for saying I do home work.

私は宿題をする

Watashi ha shuukudai wo suru. I do home work.

The other great thing it can do is turn many nouns into verbs by directly adding suru.
A good one to use as an example is the good old 勉強 / benkyou / study.

Just by adding suru, it becomes 勉強する or benkyou suru meaning... To study.
You can then make statements like,

私は日本語を勉強する watashi ha nihongo wo benkyou suru ..... I study japanese.

There are a lot more things that suru can do but that is a start.

Another question!
I've started to learn verbs (I'm taking it slow...)
A question about the verb SuRu (do)
How do i use this verb to describe something like " I do homework" or for example お金 を します (Google translate did the kanji I'm not familiar with manyt kanjis so far)Does it mean "I do money" (I know it's stupid sentence but it's just for the understanding of the verb) or, as google translate says it means "I want money"
Meanwhile i use only the "base" form and the present affirmative / negative conjugations so please in your smart answer try to use it so i can easily understand!

Again i'm thanking ahead! thank you so much!
お金をします doesn't make sense as same as "I do money".

Hello!!! this time i need experts like you to check some sentences i wrote.
I use only the kanjis that i know so when you answer please use them (and if you use please write in hiragana also)
Here are the sentences:
1)私はまいにちごぜん8時35分に起きます - I get up everyday at 8:35
2)まいにちきそ(is it kiso or kichi? (military base)へ行きます - I'm going to the base every-day
3)まいにちできそ(/きち)日本語をべんきょします - I learn Japanese at the base every-day
4)私はまいばん6時にばんごはんを食べます Every night at 6 o'clock i eat dinner
5)まいにち五時 ごる 私のへやに帰ります -at bout 5 o'clock everyday i return to my room
6)まいばんベッドを寝ます - every night i'm going to sleep in my bed/
right now I study verb conjugation and the particles in sentences.
Thanks you!! I really appreciate your help! :)

2)まいにちきそ(is it kiso or kichi? (military base)へ行きます - I'm going to the base every-day
3)まいにちできそ(/きち)日本語をべんきょします - I learn Japanese at the base every-day
6)まいばんベッドを寝ます - every night i'm going to sleep in my bed/

2) it's 基地 きち
3) まいにち基地で日本語をべんきょうします。
6) まいばんベッドで寝ます。

You can't use を as sleep is an action you perform on yourself. You can't put the bed to sleep. Also 寝る is intransitive and can only describe an action you perform on yourself.

ベッドに寝る is also possible but it means more to lie in bed rather than to sleep. Like ベッドに横(よこ)たわる。

If you want to say you are putting a friend to sleep then it is

ともだちをベッドで寝かす。

寝かす is the transitive version of 寝る. There is also an alternative which is 寝かせる.

2) . 寝る is intransitive and can only describe an action you perform on yourself.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I take a guess that the other sentences are fine then.
I've learned alot from your response.
Can you please explain to me what you wrote? (in the quote)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answer!
Another question - in the sentence 私はよく7時ごろうちへ帰ります. Why there is no ni between shichijigoro and uchi? Don't you need to add ni when there is a specific time reference?

Thanks for your answer!
Another question - in the sentence 私はよく7時ごろうちへ帰ります. Why there is no ni between shichijigoro and uchi? Don't you need to add ni when there is a specific time reference?
7時ごろうちへ帰ります and 7時ごろにうちへ帰ります are both equally correct.

昨日に帰りました is incorrect, but you can say 昨日ごろに帰りました.

Hey! Long time I havnt posted here questions and stuff but i havn't dropped my self-learning japanese hobby.

I'm still learning the basic stuff and using the genki text&work book it's goign very well but i need some feedback's from time to time.
I've written a short text and I would be very thankful if someone can check it out and give me notes :)

おとといハイファ行きましたバハーイーセンターを見て、アメリカンの食べ物を食べました。それか下道 に行ってビールを飲みました。あしたのあさはバトーガリムの浜で泳ぎました、水泳はつけれている。あとで ともだちを会って、晩御飯を食べました。

有難う御座います

おとといハイファ行きました
バハーイーセンターを見て、アメリカの食べ物を食べました。
それか下道(Maybe you mean 下 "downtown"?)に行ってビールを飲みました。
次の日のあさはバトーガリムの浜で泳ぎました、水泳はつかれます
そのあとともだち会って、晩御飯を食べました。

あした means tomorrow. The next day is 次の日.

Back
Top Bottom