What's new

Help, please.

RKG

Registered
9 Aug 2007
:joyful: guys, I need you to help me make a decision. I've design a tattoo that has personal meaning to me. The design is a waistband, which I love. I'm hopping to get it done soon. I want to live in Japan for a couple of years at least as soon as I finish university. This is the only thing stopping from having it done because so far all I'm being told is that it's a bad idea cause having a tattoo in Japan gives a negative factor to my life, I might only end up finding night jobs, won't be able to use public baths or the gym so I would have to cover it up. :( Is this true?

No matter where you live in the world having a tattoo in a very visible spot, such as a wrist or forarm is a bad idea. My personal experience wasn't quite that bad (my friend has a visible tattoo). People did tend to stare and look at him as if he was crazy though.

Also being 17 think about later life when you go to get a job, or when your job forces you to wear long sleeves in a heatwave as they dont want a tattoo visible.

As far as Japanese making you cover it up, me and my friend went into baths and he has about 7 tattoo's and they didnt say a thing.

Large tattoos that cover one's back are more what onsen owners fear, because they are signs of the yakuza. Foreigners are unlikely to be members. Get whatever you like, but Zaff has made some good points to consider about such a lifetime decision, barring laser surgery to remove them.

I know, I've been thinking a lot about this and the only way I'll regret it is if it messes with my social life and experiences when I'm in Japan. I know you're thinking that I'm saying that now because I'm young and really want a tattoo. As for jobs, psychology is my chosen career so it's very unlikely I'll be wearing clothes that show my midriff outside my personal life.

Back
Top Bottom