後輩
1 Feb 2011
Can anyone please help with the Kanji on the IJA helmet

Thank you

Attachments

• DSCN2125.JPG
    DSCN2125.JPG
    487.8 KB · Views: 176
It's a name. 本岡 = Motooka. It is also a name when read right to left. 岡本=Okamoto. Not sure what is more likely.

It's a name. 本岡 = Motooka. It is also a name when read right to left. 岡本=Okamoto. Not sure what is more likely.
Hi and thank you very much Okamoto , have you any idea what the top Kanji says with the circle.
thank you

The top one isn't a kanji. It is hiragana and is read "sa". It is an abbreviation for something.

The name on the helmet is probably written front-to-back.

The top one isn't a kanji. It is hiragana and is read "sa". It is an abbreviation for something.

The name on the helmet is probably written front-to-back.
Thanks don`t really understand what do you me by abbreviation, could you please give example, could it be the pilots unit designation, sometimes found on tails of planes. ???
thank you

Thanks don`t really understand what do you me by abbreviation, could you please give example, could it be the pilots unit designation, sometimes found on tails of planes. ???
thank you
Could it mean something like " Special Operation "

Could it mean something like " Special Operation "
here is a photos of inner ear cover, I think the showa date (if I'm reading it right) is 17 so it was made in 1942. could you please check and confirm, also is there a makers name and any other information would be very much appreciated.
thank you

Attachments

• DSCN2121.JPG
    DSCN2121.JPG
    494.5 KB · Views: 198
Yes, the date is Showa 17, i.e., 1942.
The kanji next to the date would be 広支. This is also an abbreviation for something.
The one in the circle is a surname 杉田 Sugita.
The vertical line is 香川納. 香川 Kagawa can be both a surname and place name (prefecture or city).

Yes, the date is Showa 17, i.e., 1942.
The kanji next to the date would be 広支. This is also an abbreviation for something.
The one in the circle is a surname 杉田 Sugita.
The vertical line is 香川納. 香川 Kagawa can be both a surname and place name (prefecture or city).
Hi and thank you all so much for all your help, I guess we will never know what the " hiragana " and is read "sa". was meant to mean.
thanks again

Back
Top Bottom