What's new

HELP! (on Japanese gadgets for gifts)

Minxie

先輩
14 Sep 2004
Hey Guys,

I am going to Japan in October. I wanted to know what cool things are out there to buy as gifts for all different types of people - bosses, coworkers, family members, boyfriends family etc. I have some ideas, but I'd like a little more. Oh... they can be any type of gift.. high-tech to a normal stuffed animal.

Could you also let me know around how much Yen or DOllars it would be?!

Also, does anyone know if the Nintendo DS games are compatible with the DS handhelds released in the US? and what about PS2?

Thanks!!! 🙂

An idea of your budget would be a good start. I could recommend a great camera if you want to spend $3,000.

As far as I know there are no territorial restrictions on Nintendo DS, but there are on PS2.

o cool thanks...

Can you recommend a great Mp3 player I can get in Japan? like one that is a hot buy there? I was on gizmodo.com and they said Iriver's are in there, but I don't know what kind of mp3 player to get now since the market is so competitive.... and around how much is it? Also, can you get english on it too?

Thanks again!

o and budget...d oesn't matter... i'll have enough money... but for gifts i say around 100-300 max? lol

ok cool, I'll def look into that.

Also, do you know if they sell samurai masks/hats or replicas in the Tokyo/Nagoya/Chibaken area?

let me know!

Gadget wise, in Japan its not really THAT great.

They aren't big into mp3 players, and if they are, its all ipod. They have the same ipods every other country gets.

PopCulturePooka said:
They aren't big into mp3 players

I dunno. I'd have agreed even as recently as a few months ago but suddenly the number of people pulling out mp3 players on the subway seems to have gone up dramatically.

I totally agree that as far as mainstream consumer electronics go, you're going to find the pretty much the same products here as anywhere else. The only real advantage, is that (some) products might arrive here a little earlier than in other territories given the fact that major Japanese manufacturers will often release in their home market first (games consoles being a case in point). However given the different global standards for mains electricity, video etc. this isn't always much help if you want to buy stuff to take home with you.

That is a very, very good point. I guess I'll have to stick to Nintendo DS games for now.

Did any of you ever play the Beef Bowl (I forgot what the name was called) DS game? I saw a review of it in the US on X-play on G4tech TV, but I want to know others opinions of it too.

If you haven't, then its all good. Thanks again for your help!

Yes, you're spot on. They want to protect movies because this is an existing industry outside of PSP titles, but not games. It's pretty pointless having a handheld (i.e. portable) games console if you can only use it in one country.

Ditto Silverpoint/Hiroyuki *haha... But one thing you can do with "outside" movies that are not compatible in your area, is get a specific computer program that breaks the region code (also allows you to break through the copyright protection), and allows you to format a new one or leave the disc region free. I forgot what the name is being that I am not the one who uses it, but i'll ask my boyfriend if I remember - if you guys are interested of course! You can probably get it through a bittorrent/& dl it in Azureus.

I don't think I should be suggesting how to do illegal activity... If anything bad happens to me... ill write from jail lol

😌
There is it plenty when I go to a dark side of Akihabara.
(I never approach a dark side.) :eek:

The doubtful Hong Kong game software is sold at the back alley in Akihabara.
The passage of the reverse side of a "YAMAGIWA soft hall." 😊
😌

Minxie said:
Ditto Silverpoint/Hiroyuki *haha... But one thing you can do with "outside" movies that are not compatible in your area, is get a specific computer program that breaks the region code (also allows you to break through the copyright protection), and allows you to format a new one or leave the disc region free. I forgot what the name is being that I am not the one who uses it, but i'll ask my boyfriend if I remember - if you guys are interested of course! You can probably get it through a bittorrent/& dl it in Azureus.

I don't think I should be suggesting how to do illegal activity... If anything bad happens to me... ill write from jail lol

You're talking about software like "DVD shrink". However it won't work for the PSP as this uses a propriety disc format (UMD) for which blank discs are not available. It's possible to convert movies to run off a 1 gig memory stick though.

Also on DVDs removing the regional protection won't help you play PAL discs on NTSC players or vice-versa.

O i c i c... that makes sense... It's cool being on this forum because I'm learning a lot about a ton of different things that I didn't know.

I wish I personally was more knowledgeable in technology...

I don't have a PSP... I didn't want to get one because i heard really bad reviews... Do you have one Silverpoint? or anyone else? reviews? If its a good one, maybe I'll get one, one day.

A souvenir of Tokyo

Sushi USB Memory
http://sa-store.com/shop.php?category_id=25&item01_id=37

http://www.dynamism.com/solidalliance/index.shtml

Other
A food sample
A specialty store of a food sample in Asakusa / KAPA bridge

http://www.tctv.ne.jp/sample/
demicoffes-1.jpg

lol.. the sushi sets, shumai, etc are all so cute! the finger tho... thats just plain ol' weird! freaked me out a little bit lol

I definitely like the coffee thing though... i had one like that that poured beer lol (no, im not a beer drinker)

Minxie said:
I don't have a PSP... I didn't want to get one because i heard really bad reviews... Do you have one Silverpoint?

I don't. I'm waiting for the first price drop before I shell out for one. Sony will reduce the price in Japan sooner or later, especially since it's currently being buried by Nintendo DS. Western culture tends to be more about the latest, most powerful, flashiest new toy, hence the PSP is doing very well. In Japan it's more about the games. DS has a much better line-up of titles right now, so it's winning.

Plus there have been a lot of quality control problems (dead pixels, poor build quality etc) with PSP which always happens with new Sony games hardware. They ususally take a while to iron out. Other than that PSP is a damn fine little machine.

FYI, if you're interested, these are the sales from first week of September for all games hardware in Japan.

[No. / Console / Week Sales / Last Week Sales / Year Sales]
1 Nintendo DS -- 58,579 / 57,313 / 1,578,877
2 PlayStation 2 -- 26,282 / 27,161 / 1,376,124
3 PlayStation Portable -- 22,610 / 20,322 / 1,193,086
4 Game Boy Advance SP -- 11,081 / 11,144 / 505,561
5 GameCube -- 2,388 / 2,586 / 153,319
6 Game Boy Advance -- 538 / 652 / 18,520
7 Xbox -- 198 / 130 / 10,175

Yeah, i'm waiting until they fix all the defects and problems. Same thing happened when they released the ps2... there were so many problems, but after they did whatever they did, the console was so much better. I think thats why I waited like 6 years until i bought one *haha

Oh, see I don't see many people in NYC with PSP's, but I see more people with DS's thats why I was wondering if it was bombing. Ehh, maybe i'll get one once 360 (which I won't get until they decide if they're going to put Blue ray or HD-DVD in), ps3, and revolution come out, but I might be flat broke for a looonnngg time if I buy them all around their opening price.

Any ideas on how much ps3 will cost? do you think they will lower their price to below how much a 360 will cost? I'm only asking since they haven't revealed yet how much a ps3 will be. If you saw E3, what were your impressions of the 360, ps3 and revolution?

Xbox 360 will be $299 for the core pack (just console plus 1 controller) or $399 for a package containing 20GB HD, controller, headset, HD cables, and remote control. Essentially the $299 pack is a waste of time as you're probably going to want most of the other stuff (especially the HD) to make the system work.

PS3 pricing hasn't been announced, but most people are predicting $399 to match Xbox.

Revolution is still a long way off, but based on Nintendo's past record, it could well be a little cheaper than the competition. It's also just jumped into prominence after the announcement of the new 'revolutionary' controller (see elsewhere on this forum for details).

yeah I've seen pictures of the controller and the new look for the revolution (how its not black, and is now white). I think it looks crazy, and I know I am definitely going to buy that.

And I am definitely not going to get the Xbox for $299. See if I decided to buy the Xbox in november, then I'd buy the 399 one, then I would have to buy an extra controller, and other crap and I will have probably paid around 500.

Oh well... we'll all see what happens sooner or later right? lol

Back
Top Bottom