What's new

Help Needed with Inscription on a 1950s Photograph

Ian Seymour

Registered
Reaction score
Hallo! I wonder if the kind members of this forum can help me? I am a historian of photography, and I am preparing a book containing "found photographs": Unpublished historical pictures of ordinary people using cameras.

I recently came across this interesting portrait from 1958 - the reverse has a Japanese inscription. I would be enormously grateful if this could be translated.

Unfortunately I am going to be without internet for two or three days, so please do not think I am being impolite if I do not reply immediately :) I attach the picture and inscription below.
-                       012.jpg
P1030780.JPG

With many thanks, Ian :)

Reaction score
October 1958

修学旅行 (Shugaku Ryoko) (A kind of field trip, that usually last about a week. Not sure about junior-high or elementary schools. But every high-school sends their students on such field trips at least once. Destinations vary, most popular being Kyoto-Nara area, Hokkaido and Okinawa. Although trips abroad are not unheard of (China, Australia and beyond)
小豆島 (Shōdo Shima) 平和の群像 (Heiwa no Gunzou) (Shōdo Island sculpture group of Peace. Take a look at this report with acceptable English commentaries diary 8th Nov. 2,011/ 日記H23.11.08.
前にて (mae nite) (Is a publicistic style of 前で)
小豆島平和の群像の前にて (Shōdoshima Heiwa no Gunzou no mae nite) = in front of the above mentioned sculpture group

Ian Seymour

Registered
Reaction score

Ian Seymour

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Lomaster - That is enormously helpful, and places the picture beautifully in context! :) Thank you so very much!

All the best, Ian :)