What's new

Help Needed to Fully Understand Japanese Sentences

chldudghks0517

Black Rooster
21 Oct 2012
Hi all.

I encountered the following short blog post in the Hiragana Times blog and elaborated my English translation along with it. I'm currently using Hiragana Times blog for my Japanese studies.

I'm hoping any one of you who is fluent in Japanese could help me out with the accuracy of my translation and the parts I can't get my head around with.

So here it goes,

日本昔話 [ぶんぶく茶がま]
Japanese Ancient Stories (Teapot of Morinji)
* I did a search and found out that ぶんぶく茶がま is a pot used for boiling tea. It's also a pot which is considered as a treasure in Morinji, Kunma. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ある日、貧乏な男はわなにかかっている一匹のタヌキを 助けてやりました。次の日の朝、男の元へそのタヌキがやってきました
One day, a poor man saved a raccoon caught in a trap. In the morning of the day after, <I DON'T GET THIS PART>.

Please help. I appreciate your help. :)

"the raccoon paid a visit to him."

男の元(もと)へ = 男のところへ
やってくる means "to come (with an amount of effort)". One cannot やってくる from just the room next-door.

This is a new post made on November 15, 2012

Hi all,

I have a question regarding sentence meaning and construction.

Here is the sentence:

東京オリンピックを実現させた「柔道の父」

That's the sentence that I saw in a blog that I visit daily for supplemental Japanese studies.

I'm kind of confused at the bold part there, including the particle を.

Doesn't "の実現した" sound more correct?

If yes, great.

If no, why? ㅠ.ㅠ

I remember "~される" as the conjugation for constructing verbs in the passive voice. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

実現 means realization (of something) or the state of something realized

And,

実現させた would mean (something) realized by someone/something. For instance, "発表された!" meaning "It has been announced (by someone)!" <<< passive voice.

But using "実現させた" with the particle "を(direct object indicator)" just doesn't make sense to me (or maybe, I'm the one who can't make sense out of it) My mind's really messed up. HELP ME MAKE SENSE OUT OF THIS.

This is off topic but, Japanese and Korean sentences are very similar (I'm Korean) perhaps due to Japanese colonization until the end of WWII. I can safely say that the sentence construction of these two countries are 90% the same.

For example,

私は 日本人が すきです。今 フィリピンに 住んでいますが、 未来には 是非 日本に 行きたいです。

저는 일본인이 좋습니다. 지금 필리핀 에 살고 있지 만 미래에는 꼭 일본에 가고싶습니다.

That's a perfect (100%) match in terms of sentence construction, particle usage, and vocabulary. The only different this is the spelling, apparently.

And I'm leveraging this similarity between Japanese and Korean sentence construction to make sense out of sentences that are difficult to understand.

Oh boy, forgive me for ranting. So to make long story longe...uhh short, WHAT THE HELL AM I SAYING.

Okay, I need your help in determining which of the two sentences sound more natural.

東京オリンピックを実現させた「柔道の父」

東京オリンピックの実現した「柔道の父」

Thank you in advance. Your help is much appreciated:)

I'm off for dinner.

Hi all.

I encountered the following short blog post in the Hiragana Times blog and elaborated my English translation along with it. I'm currently using Hiragana Times blog for my Japanese studies.

I'm hoping any one of you who is fluent in Japanese could help me out with the accuracy of my translation and the parts I can't get my head around with.

So here it goes,

日本昔話 [ぶんぶく茶がま]
Japanese Ancient Stories (Teapot of Morinji)
* I did a search and found out that ぶんぶく茶がま is a pot used for boiling tea. It's also a pot which is considered as a treasure in Morinji, Kunma. Please correct me if I am wrong.

ある日、貧乏な男はわなにかかっている一匹のタヌキを助けてやりました。次の日の朝、男の元へそのタヌキがやってきました
One day, a poor man saved a raccoon caught in a trap. In the morning of the day after, <I DON'T GET THIS PART>.

Please help. I appreciate your help. :)
You can also say 狸がわなにかかっていって見れば, 助けてやりました if the poor man as the topic is implied or has been previously introduced, right ? It seems loose grammatically, or an idiosyncratic use of the て form with so many other restrictions to begin with the raccoon as the subject and switch to the old man but I have seen it.

You can also say 狸がわなにかかっていって見れば, 助けてやりました
Hate to say this when you sound pretty confident but no, you cannot say that regardless of the situation or background story. The whole middle part simply makes no sense.

Hate to say this when you sound pretty confident but no, you cannot say that regardless of the situation or background story. The whole middle part simply makes no sense.
Haha. Actually . 狸がわなにかかって いってみるといつもの叫び声しました。was my reference so something clearly got lost in the faithful rendering of the sense or meaning as a whole. It still sounds odd. ;-)

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

Does itte mittara work ? I just remembered that is more accurate with the main clause in past tense.

Back
Top Bottom