What's new

Welcome to Japan Reference (JREF) - the community for all Things Japanese.

Join Today! It is fast, simple, and FREE!

Learn Japanese with JapanesePod101.com

Help Needed to Confirm Whether my Translation is Correct.

jpurd30

Registered
Reaction score
So I wasn't sure where to put this, but I need some help with a task I was given. I'm not very good at Japanese and I was hoping someone could help me see if these were viable and correct responses to some stimuli, which aren't that important, I really just need correct on spelling and grammar if you would be as kind:
Number One:
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはにちようせいかつです。このしゃしんで四人です。ふたりはじてんしゃにのっています。ほかの二人はきものをきるそうです。たから、げいしゃだと思います。それに、げいしゃは日本のでんとうぶんかです。それはくらくて、みせのでんきもふけてりるから、このしゃしんのとる時間はよるでしょう。このおとこの人のふくはこうしきでそうです。このたてもののとなりにたくさんのくるまです、なぜなら時間は5じごごころです。たてもののたくさん、でもたかくないです。だから、しゅとはないと思います。でも、ばしょはとてもいそがしいと思います。
Number Two:
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはごらくです。このしゃしんで二人です。たたみのゆかのうえにかれらをすわる、くてしょうじがあります。たから、へやはよしつみたいです。そとに日本のにわがあります。みなさんはちゃのゆをしています。ちゃのゆはまっちゃをのんでいます。日本のぶんかでちゃのゆはとてもたいせつです。このテーブルはちゃぶだいでしょう。それに、ちゃぶだいの上にざぶとんです。たいてい、やすむためにまっちゃをのみます。それから、かれらはゆかたをきます。かれらは日本のぶんかの一ぶとしてゆかたをきています。

If you want me to post what I mean in English, just give me shout.
I really appreciate it,
From Joe.

mdchachi

Reaction score
So I wasn't sure where to put this, but I need some help with a task I was given. I'm not very good at Japanese and I was hoping someone could help me see if these were viable and correct responses to some stimuli, which aren't that important, I really just need correct on spelling and grammar if you would be as kind:
Number One:
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはにちようせいかつです。このしゃしんで四人です。ふたりはじてんしゃにのっています。ほかの二人はきものをきるそうです。たから、げいしゃだと思います。それに、げいしゃは日本のでんとうぶんかです。それはくらくて、みせのでんきもふけてりるから、このしゃしんのとる時間はよるでしょう。このおとこの人のふくはこうしきでそうです。このたてもののとなりにたくさんのくるまです、なぜなら時間は5じごごころです。たてもののたくさん、でもたかくないです。だから、しゅとはないと思います。でも、ばしょはとてもいそがしいと思います。
Number Two:
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはごらくです。このしゃしんで二人です。たたみのゆかのうえにかれらをすわる、くてしょうじがあります。たから、へやはよしつみたいです。そとに日本のにわがあります。みなさんはちゃのゆをしています。ちゃのゆはまっちゃをのんでいます。日本のぶんかでちゃのゆはとてもたいせつです。このテーブルはちゃぶだいでしょう。それに、ちゃぶだいの上にざぶとんです。たいてい、やすむためにまっちゃをのみます。それから、かれらはゆかたをきます。かれらは日本のぶんかの一ぶとしてゆかたをきています。

If you want me to post what I mean in English, just give me shout.
I really appreciate it,
From Joe.
The original English would be helpful. Also what do you mean "task I was given"? We're happy to help but we're not here to do your homework for you.

jpurd30

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I can see where I could have been a bit vague. The task was essentially to talk about the two different photos in Japanese and I was hoping you could tell where I can improve. I don't by any means expect anyone to do the whole thing for me, it's just I'm worried about my grammar and if you're feeling up to it, I would love any help I can get to improve my Japanese. Here are the photos and with what I'm trying to translate from english:

The first pic

Capture.PNG

1. The theme of the photo is about experiences. Furthermore, the topic is about daily life.
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはにちようせいかつです。
2. There are four people in the photo and 2 of them are riding bikes.
このしゃしんで四人です。ふたりはじてんしゃにのっています。
3. The other two people are wearing kimonos. Therefore, I think they may be Geisha.
ほかの二人はきものをきるそうです。たから、げいしゃだと思います。
4. Furthermore, Geisha are part of traditional Japanese Culture.
それに、げいしゃは日本のでんとうぶんかです。
5. The sky is dark and the lights in the stores are turned on, therefore I think the photo was taken during the afternoon.
それはくらくて、みせのでんきもふけてりるから、このしゃしんのとる時間はよるでしょう。
6. This man is wearing formal clothes.
このおとこの人のふくはこうしきでそうです。
7. Next to the building there are a lot of cars, this is because the time is approx. 5:00.
このたてもののとなりにたくさんのくるまです、なぜなら時間は5じごごころです。
8. There are a lot of buildings, but the are not tall. Therefore, I don’t think that it is a capital city.
たてもののたくさん、でもたかくないです。だから、しゅとはないと思います。
9. But, the location does look busy.
でも、ばしょはとてもいそがしいと思います。

The second pic

Picture1.jpg

1. The theme of the photo is about experiences and the topic is about enjoyment.
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはごらくです。
2. In the photo there are 2 people.
このしゃしんで二人です。
3. They are sitting on top of tatami and there is paper sliding doors, therefore, it is a Japanese style room.
たたみのゆかのうえにかれらをすわる、くてしょうじがあります。たから、へやはよしつみたいです。
4. There is a Japanese style garden outside.
そとに日本のにわがあります。
5. They are having a Japanese Tea Ceremony. A Japanese Tea Ceremony is where you drink green tea.
みなさんはちゃのゆをしています。ちゃのゆはまっちゃをのんでいます。
6. Tea ceremonies are a very important part of Japanese culture.
日本のぶんかでちゃのゆはとてもたいせつです。
7. The table is called a chabudai. Furthermore, in front of the chabudai is a zabuton.
このテーブルはちゃぶだいでしょう。それに、ちゃぶだいの上にざぶとんです。
8. People will often drink tea in order to relax.
たいてい、やすむためにまっちゃをのみます。
9. Furthermore, they are wearing a yukata. Wearing yukatas are a very important part of Japanese Culture.
それから、かれらはゆかたをきます。かれらは日本のぶんかの一ぶとしてゆかたをきています。

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Reaction score
The first pic
1. The theme of the photo is about experiences. Furthermore, the topic is about daily life.
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクにちようせいかつです。
2. There are four people in the photo and 2 of them are riding bikes.
このしゃしんで四人です。ふたりはじてんしゃにのっています。
3. The other two people are wearing kimonos. Therefore, I think they may be Geisha.
ほかの二人はきものをきるそうですたから、げいしゃだと思います。*1
4. Furthermore, Geisha are part of traditional Japanese Culture.
それに、げいしゃは日本のでんとうぶんかです。
5. The sky is dark and the lights in the stores are turned on, therefore I think the photo was taken during the afternoon.
それはくらくて、みせのでんきもふけてりるから、このしゃしんのとる時間はよるでしょう。
6. This man is wearing formal clothes.
このおとこの人のふくはこうしきでそうです。
7. Next to the building there are a lot of cars, this is because the time is approx. 5:00.
このたてもののとなりにたくさんのくるまです、なぜなら時間は5じごごころです。
8. There are a lot of buildings, but the are not tall. Therefore, I don’t think that it is a capital city.
たてもののたくさん、でもたかくないです。だから、しゅとはないと思います。
9. But, the location does look busy.
でも、ばしょはとてもいそがしいと思います。

The second pic
1. The theme of the photo is about experiences and the topic is about enjoyment.
このしゃしんのテーマはけいかんです。さらにトピクはごらくです。
2. In the photo there are 2 people.
このしゃしんで二人です。
3. They are sitting on top of tatami and there is paper sliding doors, therefore, it is a Japanese style room.
たたみのゆかのうえにかれらをすわる、くてしょうじがあります。たから、へやはよしつみたいです。
4. There is a Japanese style garden outside.
そとに日本のにわがあります。
5. They are having a Japanese Tea Ceremony. A Japanese Tea Ceremony is where you drink green tea.
みなさんはちゃのゆをしています。*2 ちゃのゆはまっちゃ*3をのんでいます。
6. Tea ceremonies are a very important part of Japanese culture.
日本のぶんかでちゃのゆはとてもたいせつです。
7. The table is called a chabudai. Furthermore, in front of the chabudai is a zabuton.
このテーブルはちゃぶだいでしょう。それに、ちゃぶだいのにざぶとんです
8. People will often drink tea in order to relax.
たいてい、やすむためにまっちゃをのみます。
9. Furthermore, they are wearing a yukata. Wearing yukatas are a very important part of Japanese Culture.
それから、かれらはゆかたをきます。かれらは日本のぶんかの一ぶとしてゆかたをきています。

There are typos, mistakes, wrong grammar in the highlighted parts.

This sentence is grammatically correct, but your presumption is wrong. It's not that only geisha wears kimono. They wore it for some reason, for instance for an event.

What they are doing is not a tea ceremony.

まっちゃ is not correct as the translation of green tea there.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Sort of outside of the scope of your assignment, and definitely more information than you require, but in Japan the kimono would be considered "formal", and the guy in the suit would be seen as a bit casual since he's got his suit jacket off. So if you asked anybody, "who in this picture is wearing formal clothes?" I think 99.9% of Japan would say that the women look formal, while the guy looks slightly casual (even though we can tell he is wearing part of a business suit).

(Actually, the women may be wearing yukata in that picture, in which case... everybody is on the casual end of the "formal" spectrum).

jpurd30

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much, your opinions have been very helpful. I can't express enough how much help you have really been.

bentenmusume

やれやれ
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you very much, your opinions have been very helpful. I can't express enough how much help you have really been.
If you'd like, post your corrected versions of the sentences here. That way, we can help you check and see how well you understood what was wrong about the sections Toritoribe-san pointed out, as well as how to fix them. (Otherwise, it's hard to say just how much you got out of the exercise.)

Top Bottom