What's new

Help! I want to find a book!

Yasha631

馬鹿 米国人
18 Mar 2004
Heya! I'd like some help, if anyone could assist lil me. I want to find The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Skikibu. (The novel which is widely accepted as the first novel ever written.) I know I can find it at Amazon, but I'm interested in finding a version in it's original Japanese form as well as English. I have no idea where to look for the Japanese one! I'm very frustrated by this. I know there must be a simple answer somewhere, but I'm looking to hard to find it, I think. The price of the two books combined (and shipping) can't be too high, because... I'm rather broke. I'm hoping if I can find a place to buy them, I could hope it's still available around Christmas 😭 but anyway, the English copy can be in most any condition, but I'd like the Japanese to be a little bit nicer. Hopefully hardcover, but you can imagine the price tag on something thing that :mad: Well, anyone have any ideas where I can look?

Have you checked Amazon Japan ? There are hundreds of Japanese versions at different prices (check the number of pages for each too, as many are condensed versions).

The only bilingual version I know is the manga, but only 4 volumes have been published in bilingual yet.

E-text of Genji Monogatari

I myself haven't read the work but my recollection is tha U. of Virginia has an e-text site for it. The frame enabled page, with original text on top, modern Japanese translation in the middle, and Romaji(phonetic Romanization) at the bottom is:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/japanese/genji/frames/index.html

I see that the romaji system used here is not modernized and uses the "kyu-kanazukai" from the pre-war period so it might confuse some people.
I don't know if you positively have to have a bound book in print for the J-text, but I am not sure which publisher might have the Genji out in original text frankly, and maybe it isn't so easy to obtain. There are also numerous modern Japanese translations, undertaken by poetess Yosano Akiko, novelist Tanizaki Junichiro, etc., etc.
Maybe you can call up Kinokuniya Bookstore for assistance.

There are two English translations that I know of: one by Arthur Waley and one by Edward Seidensticker. You can buy these new&used at Amazon.

hi! I know a good site about Genji.

Hi!
many famous Japanese writers have challenged the modern language translation. Although I do not know an English translated version, if you ask this site, an administrator may introduce the Tale of Genji of the skillful English translation version to you.
The organization of this site is detailed also about the history of Japanese dress and ornaments as well as the Tale of Genji.
It is a very beautiful site. 👍

The Costume Museum - The Rebirth of The Tale of Genji

Would like to locate(address) an old friend in Japan. How do I go about doing that? I have her parents old address. I lost track of her 20 years ago.

Amazon Japan Search in ENGLISH

If you look for anything in Amazon.co.jp by using English, let me introduce my website.

Please give me feedback on this site.
Thank you.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for a book written by a Japanese from late 1980's,it's about JAPANESE as a people and how they are like among themselves and to foreigners.It's not about Japanese economics or politics.

Jampazon said:
If you look for anything in Amazon.co.jp by using English, let me introduce my website.
Please give me feedback on this site.
Thank you.:)

If you would like to contribute to this thread in a constructive manner, please do so. Otherwise please refrain from simply promoting your website. Thanks.

Heya! I'd like some help, if anyone could assist lil me. I want to find The Tale of Genji by Murasaki Skikibu. (The novel which is widely accepted as the first novel ever written.) I know I can find it at Amazon, but I'm interested in finding a version in it's original Japanese form as well as English. I have no idea where to look for the Japanese one! I'm very frustrated by this. I know there must be a simple answer somewhere, but I'm looking to hard to find it, I think. The price of the two books combined (and shipping) can't be too high, because... I'm rather broke. I'm hoping if I can find a place to buy them, I could hope it's still available around Christmas 😭 but anyway, the English copy can be in most any condition, but I'd like the Japanese to be a little bit nicer. Hopefully hardcover, but you can imagine the price tag on something thing that :mad: Well, anyone have any ideas where I can look?

a version in it's original Japanese form?
The true original one is out of question.
The ones that have their revised version would be better.

Back
Top Bottom