What's new

Help I need some ideas for an essay

neptunemoon

Crazy Kitty Girl "Meow"
3 Nov 2003
Heres the deal. I have to write a persuasive essay. I need an interesting topic and take a side if I agree or disagree. Well I dont know what to write about that would be interesting because I also need to give evidence. I was thinking of using japan. If anyone has any ideas of controversal issues in or dealing with japan can you please post them here. Guess it will be a brainstorm and from there I can research. Your help is greatly appreciated. 🙂

NOTHING TO DO WITH JAPANESE- BUT....

you could do something on if paintballing promotes gun violence .

Frank the Cat

🙂

Yo. If you need to write a persuasive essay just go to the Tutor Center. Its located not far from where you live. Theres also this option of THINKING and RESEARCHING before you actually start putting stuff on paper. Dont use too many extra words,cliches, or jargon. This will only clutter your essay and hide the content of which you are argueing about.

I hope that helped.

Some ideas for essays include:

How do anime and manga stir a huge following worldwide?
Why is English not encouraged enough in Japan?
Why does the Tokyo youth subculture echo that of America's?
Why should Japanese music focus more on song, and not on style?
Why should Japan's Self-Defense Forces go on a mission in Iraq that is not widely embraced nationwide?
What are some ways Japan can alleviate its economic slump over the past couple of decades?
Why does Japan have a new prime minister every 2 or 3 years, and what are the factors?

;)

Why people don't have anything else better to do than go on internet discussion forums all day.

More ideas...

Why has the Japanese diet shifted to Western-style food, and fast food in the past few decades?
Why isn't high school a requirement in Japan's educational curriculum?
Should Japan have its armed forces back? Why/why not?
What Western sports besides baseball and soccer will be receiving widespread followings in Japan in the next decade and why?
Are love hotels really a necessity in Japan, or are they a nuisance?

:)

I really liked those topics hachiko. I didnt know that japan didnt have armed forces or that high schoo is not a requirement. I got to look into that.

Even more topics...

Why do the prefectures in Kyushu generally consume more alcohol than the other prefecures of Japan?
How has para-para dancing become a national obsession in Japan?
How have processed snacks like Pocky become popular outside of Japan?
Should Japan's government policy allow religious freedom, or if it has, encourage it?

🙂

Originally posted by neptunemoon
I really liked those topics hachiko. I didnt know that japan didnt have armed forces.

They don't have large armed forces like the U.S.--prohibited by their Constitution--but they DO have what's called a "Self-Defense Force". Land, sea, and air. They have tanks, fighter jets, destroyer ships, and infantry, etc. I had a cousin who went as far as a sergeant.

But only for defending themselves should they ever get attacked by another country.

Originally posted by Erik
Why don't you just let Hachiko do the essay for you? He seems quite into this... =)

Originally posted by Golgo_13
They don't have large armed forces like the U.S.--prohibited by their Constitution--but they DO have what's called a "Self-Defense Force". Land, sea, and air. They have tanks, fighter jets, destroyer ships, and infantry, etc. I had a cousin who went as far as a sergeant.

But only for defending themselves should they ever get attacked by another country.

Thanks, Erik, but I decline. ;)

Anyway, to add to Golgo_13's statement, Japan used to have a military. It reached it's peak before World War II, when its once-vast empire stretched across Asia, and even threatened Australia. The droppings of the atomic bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki by the U.S. ended the war, and the Constitution prohibited Japan from having a military ever again. Hence, the SDF. (Also called Jiei-Tai.)

oh interesting but alot of these topics dont have an agree disagree side to it and thats what i really need

Oh, you meant an argumentative essay. No, wait, that's for/against.. Well, some of the topics I mentioned have a agree/disagree side to it, neptumemoon....

I hate to do off topic stuff....

Uhhh A point people don't realize... Japan's armed forces are the 3~4th largest in the world... (its a toss up between them and france) so saying that japan doesn't' have armed forces is completely false. Deployments East Timor , Afghanistan and Iraq just show that the Japan have an effective armed forces.

Secondly, most countries support the rebuilding of Iraq. They did not support the way the war was carried out but its generally agreed even with france that the Iraq must be rebuilt. Expect after elections occur that France will contribute troops.

edited for a error noted below... I meant to say east timor... editing is in italics

Last edited:
Originally posted by noyhauser
I hate to do off topic stuff....

Uhhh A point people don't realize... Japan's armed forces are the 3~4th largest in the world... (its a toss up between them and france) so saying that japan doesn't' have armed forces is completely false. Deployments to Iraq, Afghanistan and Iraq just show that the Japan have an effective armed forces.

Just a question, why did you write Iraq twice? By the way (sorry, this is even more off topic), is your avatar Saitou Hajime from Rurouni Kenshin?

I edited it... I meant east timor... and must of had a forgetful moment.

Yes it is Saitoh Hajime. My family is from Miburo which is bursting with pride because of it .(as with most people there) but I guess this is the best known representation of him.

Back
Top Bottom