What's new

hello

tuscan

後輩
1 Sep 2005
hello to everyone on the forum and the website.
i live in london uk and love all things japanese.
im planning a trip in feburary and im sooooooo excited about it.
im counting the days.

i have a few questions if someone wouldnt mind answering them.

how are english people treated in japan? i ask this as sometimes in other countries we get Stereotyped as not the best people in the world.

what percentage of japanes people speak english, i mean will i have to learn alot of the language before going or do alot of people in shops resturants speak english?

one last thing, whats the night life like in tokyo? is there alot of clubs, bars ect?

hope im not asking to much and look forward to hearing and speaking to you guys in the near future.

Hi Tuscan ! Welcome To The Forum !!

Your best bet is to take some time going over old posts, most of the info you want will be found there. The sections up at the top are worth clicking on and reading - Practical/Culture/Society/Language - will all help you some.
I'm sure you will have a great time in Japan and your trip will give you a lifetime of memories. I hope you stay here with us long enough to tell us how your trip goes and maybe share some pictures with us.There are MANY members here from the UK and around the world to get to know and maybe make friends with. Glad you found JREF, post often and enjoy!

Frank

🙂

Hi, welcome to the forum, Tuscan ! 🙂

Although most of the stuff you asked might be hidden here and there, you could expedite the search by using "seach" with the keyword. It's up there on the menu bar second from line from top. :)
Also if you post a question in the relevant subforum, someone will answer it.

btw, this thread could be getting more replies if it were in the "members' introduction" forum. ;-)

See you around, Tuscan ! 🙂

Gotta love how they could take the same amount of time to just answer your questions as they do writing posts telling you to RTFM.

tuscan said:
how are english people treated in japan? i ask this as sometimes in other countries we get Stereotyped as not the best people in the world.

The general attitude in Japan towards foreigners is politeness. They also love Beckham, that can be an icebreaker if you want to explain where you're from.

tuscan said:
what percentage of japanes people speak english, i mean will i have to learn alot of the language before going or do alot of people in shops resturants speak english?

All of them have studied some amount of English in school, so you may be able to find an English speaker without terrible effort. It is quite a bit easier to learn the basics of Japanese so you don't flounder everywhere. Try Pimsleur, and learn the kanas.

tuscan said:
one last thing, whats the night life like in tokyo? is there alot of clubs, bars ect?

It's the largest city in the world, it has everything.

thank you vorpar, i cant wait to go, ive wanted to go to japan as far back as i can rember and now you guys make me feel very welcome.

thank you

You are very welcome, Tuscan. 🙂
vorpar said:
Gotta love how they could take the same amount of time to just answer your questions as they do writing posts telling you to RTFM.
What is RTFM ? Here's a rhetorical question for you, Vopar.
Is it better to catch the fish for someone so he can ask for more fish next time ? Or is it better to help him learn how to catch the fish ?

Besides I don't know Tokyo as much as you (I cannot speak for Mr. White), but still want to be helpful. So please keep your mean attitude to your private dealings. ;-)

lexico said:
Is it better to catch the fish for someone so he can ask for more fish next time ? Or is it better to help him learn how to catch the fish ?

Besides I don't know Tokyo as much as you (I cannot speak for Mr. White), but still want to be helpful.

Having been in his position, I'd rather get no response than a response to look it up yourself. He may not know what to search for, or he may have done a search and was unable to find pertinent information in the 1000's of webpages that there are.

Suggesting that he use the search function is the equivalent of tech support asking you if your computer is plugged in. If you don't even know the basics, you definitely need more help, and if you do know the basics, you need the help, and you're insulted just a little bit.

Some suggestions for search topics would be the way to go, or maybe a couple of websites that have related material. For example, I couldn't quickly find any info on bars at jref, so here's a website I did quickly find that does http://www.pubclub.com/onenightstand/tokyo.htm

Welcome to the forum tuscan,

Hope you time in Japan, and enjoy the forum as well !! See you later !!!

..Even though not so many Japanese speak much english (or are too shy to speak it sometimes), You will manage just perfectly! At least for me, the Japanese have always tried to help me the best way they can, even though my Japanese is just the very very basics and they might not speak english not even a word. If I go to a restaurant, and the menu is only in kanji, and no-one speaks english, i still get great service. Just ask what would be special or oishii :)
Anyways, they do their best effort to help.. and that is one of the many things that have really impressed me so much.

Enjoy your time in Japan!

lexico said:
What is RTFM ?

Read The F**king Manual. It's a popular phrase amongst IT geeks and usually applies to people who ask stupid hardware/software questions which are clearly answered in the documentation.

hey, thanks alot vorpar!! thats very kind of you and i appreciate your help very much aswell as everyone elses.

Back
Top Bottom