What's new

Hello! could you help translating a Kanji?

gabrielcr78

Kouhai
9 Feb 2018
Hello i have a kani in a razor that i dont recognize, can someone please help to translate or at least tell me what the carachters are? i only recognize the one for fortune 幸

thnks all!
kanji_help.png

thanks a lot Mike, much appreciated!!

One last question if I may.. i have managed to figure most of the characters on this one.. but seems like i'm still missing some...
in the red text i think i have: 精良本山合砥

but on the text surrounding that red test, I'm missing some characters:

on the left column, i think a couple: _ _ _ _
on the top have two: 品 _ _
on the right column I think i'm only missing one: on the right: 京 都 特 産 印

not sure i have the right ones in the ones I havethanks a lot for the help 🙂:

Gabe

Last edited:
絶佳
京都特産 ●印 (● is a mark, not kanji)

You got 精良本山合砥 correctly. 研味絶佳 and 特選 are two different words. The same goes to 京都特産 and ●印.

Incidentally, what is written on the back is:
王冠
京都特産
本山合砥
精選

登録商標 means "trade mark", so it's a brand name. I couldn't find it on the web, so it would be a minor brand. 幸定 Yukisada is a male given name, so it would be originally the name of the smith.

Hello Friends! me again bothering.. i think I have most of the kanji of the center line (except the first character 正本山鳴瀧合砥), but might ask for help on the two red labels and the first one on the blue center line?

maybe the last character in the center line i also have it wrong?

thanks!

Original Label 1.PNG
Original Label 2.PNG

Last edited:
right column
大日本山城国特産
Dainippon/Dainihon Yamashiro no kuni tokusan
Special product in Yamashiro province (= Kyoto), Japan

left one
京都西田採掘部
Kyoto Nishida saikutsu-bu
Nishida Mining section, Kyoto

thanks a lot Toritoribeis the center line correct? i am missin the first character and maybe the last one is wrong?
正本山鳴瀧合砥

You got it right. The one above 正 is not a kanji. It's the trademark of the company, probably reading "Yamata".

is the center line correct? i am missing the first character and maybe the last one is wrong?
正本山鳴瀧合砥

In case you haven't already figured it out, the word split in this center line is:
正本山 鳴瀧 合砥
The first word is read しょうほんやま (most likely)
The second is なるたき
And the third is あわせど

The product is a whetstone that was probably used for sharpening razors.

There is a very detailed English-language website that shows many pictures of whetstone product packaging from the same era as yours, and interprets the various kanji written on them. This site includes a discussion of each of the above three words, and might be useful to you:

"Shiage toishi" → "Awasedo" | Fikira

On the site, they also talk about the logo at the top of the centerline, and speculate that the reading might be Yama-ta, but are not sure. Lots of companies use that kind of a logo, and sometimes the upper part is not read as "yama", but just conveys the idea that the company produces high quality products. The katakana below that upper part (in your case タ) is often part of the name of the company. (If "yama" is not part of the name, then it probably begins with タ.) If there is any writing on any other parts of the packaging, it might give a clue as to the full name.

Tanks a lot Joadbres, i know fikira site and use it all the time :)
in fact the center word i managed to fin it.. that is an honyama awasedo (mountain whetstone used for sharpening.. however the two lines on the sides are not recorded :9) stone used in
in fact thranslation of the center line is:
正本山合砥 = Sho hon yama awase do = true original mountain finishing stone
鳴瀧 = "Narutaki" (coudlbe the region or the mine where it came from there was a mine called narutaki too)
I was confused byt that first katanaka, i tought it was a character... there is a mine called Nakayama, which a "narutaki region" stone could also come from... but the kaji for nakayama is: 中山 .. I wonder if otherwise it's part of any of these
- a company called: ベスタ = Besuta / Bester (but this one makes artificial stones)
- this kanji: ハタホシ (under 2 flags & star) = Hatahoshi (very unlikely)
- a layer or strata underground from there certain stones are extracted (巣板 or スイタ = Suita)
I wonder if anything like that

tanba-no-kuni-e4b8b9e6b3a2e59c8b.jpg
asahi-tora-matsunaga-co1.jpeg

In the same way that the trademark logo in the middle left-hand side of the left image above (double へ plus マ) stands for Matsunaga (see right image), I think it is very likely that the mark on your packaging is a trademark for a company whose name begins with "Ta". It might be very difficult to discover that name, though, especially if it is a small company which went out of business long ago. I recommend carefully examining every single part of the packaging to see if there is any other writing, but that is a longshot. You may never be able to figure it out, but you can just describe it as a trademark.

thanks again!!!! indeed might never know, but thanks for that reference... interesting enough, seems like the use the charachter of the name of the company under a mountain :D since it's a mountain stone!

thanks for all the help! really appreciated!!!
Gabe

by the way, here is the box:no other symbols on any place of the box.

Interesting enough, the left column changes from 京都西田採掘部 to

京都 "^タ" 採掘部... this could mean that the charachter replaced "西田": Nishida have the meaning of the brand: "^タ"
we might never know :)
original box label.PNG

Last edited:
one last, i have found some other stones with the same label, this one is particularly interested... it has that character with the same stamp... in the top stamp, pretty much the same lines on that top stamp too, and the stamp at the lest スイタ means suita which is a type of stone.
other_stone_top_stamp.jpg
another_stone_with_same_label.jpg

That is interesting. It doesn't seem to give any more clues about the name on the trademark, though. The characters to the left and right of the trademark symbol might be 特撰, but they are very hard to read.

how about an additional riddle?

yes still with whetstones: this label seems to be pre-war cause talks about the palace. The first larger image on the left is the box, the two small in the right are the labels, both labels seem the same words
here's what i have so far:
Box:
Top: _ 保 _ _ 質 品
Left: 大 _ _ _ _ _
Center: 無類 正本山合砥
Right:大日本山城國特産

Label:
Top: 証 保 質 品
Left: _ _ 販 _部撰
Center: 正本表山合砥
Right: 大日本帝國山城産出

I hope what i have is correct....

thank you all for the help folks! :)

box.png
label 1.jpg
label 2.jpg

Box
Top:品質優等保證
The horizontal line is read from right to left in classical documents.
證 is the traditional form of 証.

Left: 大阪 砥石部
The kanji under 砥 is a variation of 石.
u77f3-itaiji-002 (石) - GlyphWiki

Label
Top: 品質保証

left: 採掘販賣部撰
賣 is the traditional form of 売.

wooow!! that was quick.. thanks a lot Toritoribe!!! i see why i was having some issues.. seems like those two traditional characters are not easy to chase... :)

By the way... how do you translate: 大阪.. is that Osaka?

and how do you translate 大日本帝國山城産出? I'm almost sure Google is missing something... Dainippon Teikoku Castle"

thanks again!!!!

Gabe

Back
Top Bottom