What's new

having trouble understanding a joke

billybob300c

後輩
27 Feb 2016
I'm having trouble understanding a joke these two girls below are telling, which involves the maid (Ibuki) licking powder off of the master's (Alice) fingers. I included the dialogue (with my translations) leading up to this photo, and I highlighted the part I didn't understand in red.
licking joke.jpg

Ibuki: 「あらあらお嬢様、いくらハッピーなパウダーがついていても、指を舐めちゃうのはお行儀が悪いですよ」「My my, Milady. It's bad manners to lick your fingers when there's powder on them.」

Alice: 「う、うん、わかってる……」「Y-Yeah, I know...」

Ibuki: 「私が舐めますから」「Let me lick them for you.」

Alice: 「あー、この、つんつんわさびスナックとかおいしそう〜」「Ahh, this boring, powderless wasabi snack looks good~」

Ibuki: 「ヒッ!」「Hie!」

Ibuki: 「ウェットティッシュ、ありますから……うぅ……みなさんも、どうぞ……うぅぅ……」「I have some baby wipes... Uuu... You all can have some too... Uuu.」

Girl A: 「そんなに悔しいの……?」「Is it really that depressing...?」

Ibuki: 「合法的に、ペロペロできるチャンスだと、思ったのにっ……うぅぅ……っ」「And that was my chance to lick her fingers legally... Uuu...」

つんつんわさびスナック must be the name of the snack. つんつん is a mimetic word for the hot/spicy taste of wasabi in this case.

いくら~ても/でも means "even when/if" or "no matter how ~" there, not just "when".
ハッピーなパウダー is not just "powder", either. It probably means something like "favorite taste powder". (I presume that this ハッピー refers to a popular snack ハッピーターン, which is well-known by its unique taste powder.)
ハッピーターン - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

Did you read my reply to your previous question, by the way? You got the meaning of the yelling?

"Lick her fingers legally"? That sounds strange... How about "It would've been a good excuse" instead?

Similarly, how about "Is it really that depressing?" -> "Why are you so disappointed?"

I understand wanting to stay truthful to the original, but if you translate too literally it ends up sounding like a machine translation.

つんつんわさびスナック must be the name of the snack. つんつん is a mimetic word for the hot/spicy taste of wasabi in this case.

いくら~ても/でも means "even when/if" or "no matter how ~" there, not just "when".
ハッピーなパウダー is not just "powder", either. It probably means something like "favorite taste powder". (I presume that this ハッピー refers to a popular snack ハッピーターン, which is well-known by its unique taste powder.)
ハッピーターン - Wikipedia
(all in Japanese)

Did you read my reply to your previous question, by the way? You got the meaning of the yelling?
Yes, I read the wiki post from your reply. And thanks lanthas, I'll take that into account.

Here's the changes I made:
Alice: 「あー、この、つんつんわさびスナックとかおいしそう〜」「Ahh, this spicy wasabi snack looks good~」

Ibuki: 「あらあらお嬢様、いくらハッピーなパウダーがついていても、指を舐めちゃうのはお行儀が悪いですよ」「My my, Milady. It's bad manners to lick your fingers, no matter how much of your favorite powder is on them.」

-----

I'm not sure if I got the overall scene. I know Alice says 「あー、この、つんつんわさびスナックとかおいしそう〜」 in order to stop Ibuki from licking her fingers. Why does Ibuki offer baby wipes?

Yes, I read the wiki post from your reply.
Well, you don't seem to understand my intention... Don't you have any response to the post, and to this thread as well?

I'm not sure if I got the overall scene. I know Alice says 「あー、この、つんつんわさびスナックとかおいしそう〜」 in order to stop Ibuki from licking her fingers. Why does Ibuki offer baby wipes?
What is the reason, do you think, that Ibuki gives a small cry ヒッ! and is weeping?

Well, you don't seem to understand my intention... Don't you have any response to the post, and to this thread as well?
People yelled out Tamaya and Kagiya at fireworks shows to root for their favorite guild in a competitive way or something like that. Oh, thanks for reminding me about that post. I got busy around that time, so I couldn't make a reply.
What is the reason, do you think, that Ibuki gives a small cry ヒッ! and is weeping?
Probably because Ibuki is scared of spicy food.
She just told the other girl it is rude to lick her fingers. Why do you think she would then offer her a wet tissue?
So that Alice can clean her hands off, but I'm not sure.

There's a few more lines after the photo above that's been causing me some trouble, especially the last 2 lines highlighted in red. I included all the dialogue from above with corrections and in the photo to complete the scene:
alice & ibuki 2.jpg

[Characters in scene: Ibuki = maid; Alice = master; Yuuno, Saeka, and Mayu = friends]

Ibuki: 「あらあらお嬢様、いくらハッピーなパウダーがついていても、指を舐めちゃうのはお行儀が悪いですよ」「My my, Milady. It's bad manners to lick your fingers, no matter how much of your favorite powder is on them.」

Alice: 「う、うん、わかってる……」「Y-Yeah, I know...」

Ibuki: 「私が舐めますから」「Let me lick them for you.」

Alice: 「あー、この、つんつんわさびスナックとかおいしそう〜」「Ahh, this spicy wasabi snack looks good~」

Ibuki: 「ヒッ!」Hieek!

Ibuki: 「ウェットティッシュ、ありますから……うぅ……みなさんも、どうぞ……うぅぅ……」I have wet tissues... *cries*... Everyone can have some too... *cries*...

Yuuno: 「そんなに悔しいの……?」Why do you sound disappointed...?

Ibuki: 「合法的に、ペロペロできるチャンスだと、思ったのにっ……うぅぅ……っ」「Because that was my chance to lick her fingers, legally... *cries*...」

Saeka: 「心の法には引っかかりそうですけど」「So you were worried about whether or not it was legal.」

Mayu: 「個人的には、既に獄中なんだけど」「She's already imprisoned if you think about it.」

-----

I looked up 心に引っかかる (stuck in the back of my mind), but I couldn't fit it in with the last 2 lines.

Things are not getting stuck on 心 but on 心の法.

My interpretation:
"I'm pretty sure that would go against heart's law though..." (= it might be legal, but that doesn't make it moral)
"[In my] personal [view], [she should] already [be] in prison..." (= she has already gone too far)

In essence, the others are seriously questioning Ibuki's standards of acceptable behaviour.

These are awkward literal translations, so don't go copying them :p. And I'm not 100% sure they're correct either.

My interpretation:
"I'm pretty sure that would go against heart's law though..." (= it might be legal, but that doesn't make it moral)
"[In my] personal [view], [she should] already [be] in prison..." (= she has already gone too far)
Ah, I see now. Here's what I went with:

Saeka: 「心の法には引っかかりそうですけど」「That sounds more like it'd go against moral judgment.」

Mayu: 「個人的には、既に獄中なんだけど」「She'd probably be serving time if you ask me.」

I dont see its a joke. And for the translating part, seems you are already correct from my point of view. Im not sure about it though, kuyashii means mortyfying according to my translations, you sure it mens depressing in that context? Seems like a fun game.
#Edit#
Sorry I didnt see further posts.

Back
Top Bottom