What's new

Having trouble translating a manga

Eristy

後輩
28 Oct 2014
Hi,
I'm having trouble translating the wordトラブってる. Does it mean to be in trouble or to cause trouble or perhaps something different? It's not used in a sentence, just with a questionmark at the end (as seen in the picture), so I can't figure it out. Could someone please help?
hag14_01.jpg

Hi, I have another question. I have a problem translating this sentence:
本当に自分の父親とは思えないくらいのタイミングの良さである。
The person who is saying this is the that boy, Kodaka. His father just called him out of the blue while the boy was having a hard time.
I think that sentence means "It's hard to believe that as my father his timing would be so good" (implying Kodaka's timing is bad) more or less. But from that sentence it seems to me as if Kodaka was talking about the timing thing as a skill, not as just something that happened to be right. Is my translation more or less okay? Is タイミング in japanese more like a someone's skill or just something happening in a good or bad time?

Attachments

• 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 238
Hi, I have two questions. Could anyone help?

1. Could you help me with translating 真っ当な価値基準?Context below.
061.jpg
2. I also have this phrase to translate and it's actually out of context. The two girls who are talking to each other are members of Student Council. One has to clean up some boxes and the other one (she's the president of the Student Council) bumped into her and decided to help her. Then the president says "よしそれではさっさと[...]" and then the other girl replies "抜けだしたのばれたらまた副会長に怒られますよ..." Firstly, does that other girl say that the vice-president will be mad at both of them or just the president? Secondly, do you have any idea what the 抜け出す might refer to here? Skipping some meeting? Leaving the Student Council room? And lastly, do you have any idea why it's funny? I just don't get the meaning of that whole scene...
084.jpg

Could you help me with translating 真っ当な価値基準?Context below.
真っ当 means 普通 there.

Firstly, does that other girl say that the vice-president will be mad at both of them or just the president?
The latter.

Secondly, do you have any idea what the 抜け出す might refer to here? Skipping some meeting? Leaving the Student Council room?
If her schedule didn't mentioned previously, both are possible. I think it doesn't much matter which interpretation is correct. The point of their conversation is to show the president's (and vice-president's) character and the relationship between them.

And lastly, do you have any idea why it's funny? I just don't get the meaning of that whole scene...
She doesn't think it's funny. She is laughing away the coming troubles (= vice-president's angry). Most likely she is just acting strong, though. (強がっているだけ makes sense?)

It does make sense now. Thank you, Toritoribe for helping me understand it!

Hi, I have a couple of problems with understanding a manga. t would be great if anyone coul help.

1. Could you tell me what 素 means in the senstence 星奈なりの気遣いなのかそれとも素か?
haganai16_025.jpg

2.I actually have a problem understanding all of the sentences shown in this picture.
haganai16_026.jpg

First of all, I cannot figure out what 思惑もはいってそう. I know that omowaku means thoughts or expectations, but I cannot figure out what it means connected with the verb はいる.

The second sentence I am completely baffled by: どうやらこちらはこちらで色々あるようだ。Does anyone have any idea how to translate that?

With the last sentence I just wanted to make sure if I got it right. 後で聞けたら聞こう It means literally "If I will be able to ask him later, I will ask him (later), does it? And it could be translated as "I should ask him later" or "I'd better ask him later"?

1. I can't get this one. It's a mystery to me.
2. part 1. I don't know the context, but it sounds as it she is saying the the presence of a third party's planning or scheming or volition (他の人の思惑) is slightly annoying to her. I don't know what the event/development is, but it seems as if she wanted it to be coincidence, or perhaps to be the result of her own doings, but it turns out that its another person who has engineered the flow of events, and so that's why she is disappointed.
part 2. "It seems as thought there are a lot of things going on over here, too". She is realizing that she's not the only one with problems, and that there are various issues at the place she is now in as well.
part 3. Yes, "If I get a chance to ask, I will ask".

1)
素 means her nature. The speaker is wondering if she said/did it with consideration in her way, or without any intention (even if it seems to be done with consideration).

2-2)
Majestic-san's translation is correct, but this must be thoughts/voice in mind of the storyteller/protagonist (the same person as the one in the first panel, perhaps?), not her.

Majestic, Toritoribe, thank you so much for your help!

The first one and the last one are clear for me now. As for the middle one, I was thinking it might mean something like what Majestic wrote, but it isn't really clearly connected with the previous sentences, so I'll have to figure out what it refers to exactly. Toritoribe must be right, it's not the girl speaking, it's the thoughts of the storyteller.

Thank you so much once again!

Hi everyone, could somone help me with translating the sentence しかし時代もとうとうここまで来たか. I think the girl speaking is playing some super advanced VR game and is expressing her amazement in the advanced technology. But I haven't got any good ideas how to put it in English. Also, she is not replying to anyone so why is there a しかし used at the beginnig of a sentece? And why is there も instead of は or が after 時代?

しかし can just be a way of expressing surprise.
時代もとうとうここまで来たか Literally: "the times have come this far", "the times have changed to this extent". We don't have an elegant way of expressing this word-for-word in English. "The times sure have changed" might be the closest idiom.

I don't know why the も is there. Maybe she is saying the technology as well as the times have advanced.

Thank you, Majestic! "The times sure have changed" sounds good, I think I'm gonna go with something similar.

Also I think that も here might be used as some sort of emphasis. I am going to try and include that in my translation.

I've just stumbled upon another difficult part and will be very grateful for any help.

I am not sure how to translate these couple of sentences. Context is that a group of friends are playing a game, they've already played before. Last time they made some mistakes. Now they are once again fighting the last boss.

The part I'm having trouble with are the last two frames.
どうせ貴様のことだから前回のことなど踏まえず
初っ端に大技を食らわてやろうとか単純なことを考えてると思ったのだ。
まあせっかく私が囮役をわざわざ買ってやったのだ。しっかり決めろ。

I think the first part means "Because it's you, I thought you wouldn't consider/take into account what happened the last time..." Then the rest of that sentence is a bit unclear. I think it means something like:
"... and you are thinking something simple like let's hit him with a bold move in the very beginning" But I'm not sure.
And the last two sentences I don't understand at all. What does 囮役を買う mean? And I cannot understand しっかり決めろ in that context.

Could someone please help?

And why is there も instead of は or が after 時代?
も is originally from "too/also", but it's sometimes used to avoid that が or は works as a contrastive marker or unnecessarily emphasizes the meaning even when there is nothing other than it.
e.g.
お前もこれで終わりだ
This sentence can work even when no one is all over other than "you". が is inappropriate here since it works as a contrastive marker. は is OK, but it could be misinterpreted as a contrastive marker, as well.

I think the first part means "Because it's you, I thought you wouldn't consider/take into account what happened the last time..." Then the rest of that sentence is a bit unclear. I think it means something like:
"... and you are thinking something simple like let's hit him with a bold move in the very beginning" But I'm not sure.
That's basically correct, but all of 前回のことなど踏まえず初っ端に大技を食らわてやろうとか単純なことを考えてる is "your" idea in the speaker's thoughts/guess.

What does 囮役を買う mean?
She used herself as a decoy voluntarily by her own will.

And I cannot understand しっかり決めろ in that context.
Defeat the enemy surely. (決める is from 技を決める or 勝負を決める.)

Hi, I'm havinig some trouble with translation once again. I would be very grateful for any help with the sentences below.

大体朱音がいつまでも細かいことをしつこく言ってくるのが悪いのだ。
I'm not sure if the first sentence means: It's your fault, Akane, that I'm always saying thhings / explaining things/ talking about things in the smallest detail.
or "It's you Akane, that are always talking about things in the smallest details (and you shouldn't)."

「細かいこと」とか言ってる時点で心から反省してないだろうに今回の旅行の連絡だって。。。
And with that second sentence, I'm not sure if it's a response to the previous sentence or if it's the same person speaking. Also I don't really know what that means. I think the beginning means something like "I don't think you're speaking truth/speaking from the hear when you're talking about these small details", but I have no idea how this connects with 今回の旅行の連絡だって。。。And what does it even mean in this context?

Help, please!

大体朱音がいつまでも細かいことをしつこく言ってくるのが悪いのだ。
I'm not sure if the first sentence means: It's your fault, Akane, that I'm always saying thhings / explaining things/ talking about things in the smallest detail.
or "It's you Akane, that are always talking about things in the smallest details (and you shouldn't)."
It's your fault, Akane, that you're always complaining about small things persistently.

「細かいこと」とか言ってる時点で心から反省してないだろうに今回の旅行の連絡だって。。。
And with that second sentence, I'm not sure if it's a response to the previous sentence or if it's the same person speaking. Also I don't really know what that means. I think the beginning means something like "I don't think you're speaking truth/speaking from the hear when you're talking about these small details", but I have no idea how this connects with 今回の旅行の連絡だって。。。And what does it even mean in this context?
It's a response, and actually two sentences;「細かいこと」とか言ってる時点で心から反省してないだろうに and 今回の旅行の連絡だって.

「細かいこと」とか言ってる is not 細かいこと(とか)言ってる. She said "you are saying that (what you did) is「細かいこと」". Also, 時点 is not the same as 時. 時点で more likely indicates the cause/reason of the main clause.

Hi everyone! I have this page in a manga and I'm wondering what all these ふっふふふーん and ふっふふふ mean. Is this person singing but doesn't know the words? Or is she laughing and talking to herself?
haganai_17_09.jpg

I think she is (partially) humming to herself. She actually knows the lyrics, though. The song is most likely a well-known children's song 一年生になったら. The lyrics is meaningful to the theme of the manga, right?

一年生になったら
一年生になったら
友達百人できるかな
百人で食べたいな
富士山の上でおにぎりを

いっちねーんせーい
になったーら

いっちねーんせーい
になったーら

とっもだっちひゃっくにん
でっきるかなー

ひゃーくにーんで
たっべたいなー

ふーじさん
のっうえーで
おーにぎりーを

The girl is 6 years old, so it would totally make sense for her to be singing this song :) Thank you very much Toritoribe!

Hi everyone! Could anyone help me translate the following sentence?

あとは当初の予定通りこの姉妹ができるだけ長くプレイできるようにこのゲームを楽しむだけだ。

I think it means something along the lines of: Now we can just enjoy the game in order for the sisters to play the game as long as they can, as originally planned.
But I'm not exactly sure how to translate the ように here and how exactly the two parts of the sentence are connected. It seems a bit weird to me to say that "i'm gonna enjoy the game so that they can plan as long as they can".

Also, is the あとは connected with だけ, so that it rather means "All we have to do now, is enjoy the game..."?

More context available here: hag17_0067.jpg

できるだけ長くプレイできるように means できるだけ長くプレイできるようなやり方/方法で, i.e., ように is "in the manner of" not "in order to". He is going to enjoy the game in the manner that the sisters can play it as long as possible.

Also, is the あとは connected with だけ, so that it rather means "All we have to do now, is enjoy the game..."?
Yes, it's more likely "from now on" than "now", though.

Thank you so much Toritoribe! I thought that my translation of ように was wrong. The sentence makes more sense now. But I guess in this case ゲームを楽しむ could also be translated as just "playing the game". Is that right?

Back
Top Bottom