What's new

Having problems with sentence with Ni

lol500

Kouhai
Reaction score
Okay this is a confusing sentence I came across in my learning software.
Nan ni kyoumi ga arimasu ka?
Let's simplify it by changing this question into a statement:
Jogingu ni kyoumi ga arimasu
Arimasu is used to express the existence of inanimate objects. "Interest" is an inanimate albeit abstract object, so it fits the description.
However, Ni is used to indicate the location of existence, and "Jogging" is the form of interest, not the location.
I know Ni has 6 other uses but applying those doesn't make sense either.

WonkoTheSane

先輩
Reaction score
Just wondering, is it written in romaji, hiragana, or kanji mixed with kana in your software?

lol500

Kouhai
Reaction score
Most of the sentence are written in hiragana, although in this instance, it is written in romaji.

lanthas

Reaction score
In English, we also say we are interested "in" jogging, even though this word is normally reserved for things like "the chair is in the meeting room".

lol500

Kouhai
Reaction score
In English, we also say we are interested "in" jogging, even though this word is normally reserved for things like "the chair is in the meeting room".
Well you see, I search in lots of places and at most, they only imply that it corresponds to "in" in the sense that it is also a location indicator.

I seriously don't know anymore. Maybe the author just got it wrong....yeah, that would clear things up.

Majestic

先輩
Reaction score
Yeah, you are definitely over-analyzing this one.

~ ni kyomi ga arimasu (~に興味があります) is a set phrase - to have an interest in something or to be interested in something. The に indicates the thing you have an interest in.

Toritoribe

松葉解禁
Staff member
Reaction score
You already got the same answer, no?

Yes, "ni" can indicate the location of abstract concept.
e.g.
彼は性格に問題がある。
He has a problems with the character.

この文章は文法に間違いがある。
There is a mistake in grammar in this sentence. / This sentence has a mistake in grammar.