What's new

Hate Crimes Against Koreans

thomas

Unswerving cyclist
Admin
14 Mar 2002
Hate Crimes Increase Against Koreans in Japan

Since North Korea admitted that 24 years ago they abducted Japanese citizens, some of whom died in custody, from the coastal shores of Japan, there has been an outbreak of hate crimes against innocent Koreans. [...] The Human Rights Association of Japan did supply a list of reported hate crimes between Sept. 17, the day after the North Korean government admitted the abductions, on Dec. 5. There were at least 99 cases in that period targeting the students of the North Korean school system. The cases consisted of physical and verbal threats by phone and e-mail, and physical and verbal assault, including physical threats and racial epithets..

Because the Human Rights Association only reported cases against students, it is only realistic to assume that many more hate crimes were committed against the entire Korean population in Japan.

http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=307cfd8968ef426a8cb099b284842497

given that

"The cases consisted of physical and verbal threats by phone and e-mail, and physical and verbal assault, including physical threats and racial epithets.."

your comment is interesting interesting .. would you like to provide evidence of 'hate crimes' of a similar nature against japanese?

Don't bother responding to this message (due to the fact that I swing by here every other third week or so), but whether "Hate crimes against Japanese and Americans are usual in S.Korea." doesn't make it o.k. for Japan to do the same; unless you support bigotry against Koreans in Japan. America uses sweat shops to mass produce clothing. Is it o.k. for other countries to do that as well?

By the way, this is the "Japan" forum. This post wasn't meant to discuss issues happening in South Korea, but events in Japan.

In any event, it's no surprise that Japanese are harassing/abusing Koreans in Japan. They've had a feud going on for a long time now. Especially now that North Korea is finally being acknowledged in the world community.

The real question is "when is the hate between the two ethnic groups going to end?"

Agree to the point that any hate crimes should not be allowed. I truly expect Japanese police to capture those who threatened innocent Koreans in Japan.

However, I also hear rumors here, that many of those cases also include "fake" testimonies - which means, there seems to be quite a lot of Koreans pretending that they got blackmailed and make a fuss over those, in order to make themselves keep look like "poor minority. "

One reason such rumor comes up is because some cases just don't sound possible - for instance they have been claiming for getting many schoolgirls' traditional uniforms ripped with sharp knifes or razors in trains when those girls are on their way to schools. But no one actually got hurt during the ripping even though they claim the clothes were cut inside moving trains. and there were no reliable witness ever.
Normally, if someone is doing such a thing in a train, people would just realize and take the person to railway police. Many Oyaji molesters have been caught in trains in this way.
But not even a slightest news comes on this - is it because those hate-criminals are so good at this ripping job? It sounds just too weird to me to buy 100% of what they are claiming.

There was a very interesting article by Korean journalist "Kim Mui" (don't know if the spelling is correct) who posted it in Takarajima book #30, December issue (1994) reporting many of those cases were judged to be "quite doubtful" by Japanese and Koreans he met. Also, only 22 cases were reported to police while Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported some 124 cases were done - where did the paper get the number from?
According to the article of Mr Kim, they got the information from Chosun Sohren - North Koreans' association... and this sounds to many Japanese that those guys were multiplying the number and trying to use it as propaganda.

Sadly, Mr Kim was found dead at his apartment house 6 months later he wrote it.
(source only in Japanese, sorry:

http://www.infovlad.net/underground/asia/nkorea/bbs/nkoreabbs843.html )

I am not saying all threats and hate crimes are fakes - of course, there are Japanese people who hate Koreans. And some of them may not be good people. But I think we can think twice before judging all of them are hate crimes by sick-minded Japanese.
I hope those who did such terrible things caught - no matter what their nationalities are. Then we'll see if those rumors are true.

Originally posted by KenUmedaira

However, I also hear rumors here, that many of those cases also include "fake" testimonies - which means, there seems to be quite a lot of Koreans pretending that they got blackmailed and make a fuss over those, in order to make themselves keep look like "poor minority. "

Can you back those allegations with any sort of independant evidence?

Or at least a reason for looking like a "poor minority"? Is there any benefit?

One reason such rumor comes up is because some cases just don't sound possible - for instance they have been claiming for getting many schoolgirls' traditional uniforms ripped with sharp knifes or razors in trains when those girls are on their way to schools. But no one actually got hurt during the ripping even though they claim the clothes were cut inside moving trains. and there were no reliable witness ever.
Normally, if someone is doing such a thing in a train, people would just realize and take the person to railway police. Many Oyaji molesters have been caught in trains in this way.
But not even a slightest news comes on this - is it because those hate-criminals are so good at this ripping job? It sounds just too weird to me to buy 100% of what they are claiming.

Note that the wearing of traditional Korean clothing instantly marks them as Korean.

It's probably more a case of witnesses not reporting or helping and victims either not reporting or incidents being hushed up by police.

Unless you can provide evidence that of what you claim.

I've read plenty of such accounts in academic books, where putting in doubtful information can be the death of your career .. I tend to believe them far more than I would any other source (I'll give you the book name if you want).

Also, if it doesn't make the news, it's not the fault of the victim .. the Japanese emperor admitted that he was of Korean descent and that hardly made the news in japan did it?

There was a very interesting article by Korean jounalist "Kim Mui" (don't know if spelling is correct) who posted it in Takarajima book #30, December issue (1994) reporting many of those cases were judged to be "quite doubtful" by Japanese and Koreans he met . Also, only 22 cases were reported to police while Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported some 124 cases were done - where did the paper got the number from?
According to the article of Mr. Kim, they got the information from Chosun Sohren - North Koreans' association... and this sounds to many Japanese that those guys were multiplying the number and trying to use it as a propaganda.

Sadly, Mr. Kim was found dead at his apartment house 6 months later he wrote it.
(source only in Japanese, sorry:
http://www.infovlad.net/underground/asia/nkorea/bbs/nkoreabbs843.html )

Simply put, neither japanese nor Korean sources can be seen as fully objective in regards to statements that glorify themselves (ie. japanese sources that defend japan or Korean sources that attack japan).

The whole thing smacks of a smearing campaign .. how unfortunate that the author is now dead ..

I am not saying all threats and hate crimes are fakes - of course there are Japanese people who hate Koreans. And some of them may not be good people. But I think we can think twice before judging all of them are hate crimes by sick minded Japanese.
I hope those who did such terrible things caught - no matter what their nationalities are. Then we'll see if those rumors are true.

Interesting that you say

"there are Japanese people who hate Koreans. And some of them may not be good people"

dsk oz,

I don't know why you seem offensive - I just posted a rumor which is very famous on the net in Japan. I don't know why no one else mentioned this before here. Also I have not denied whether or not the all cases are fakes.

>Simply put, neither japanese nor Korean sources can be seen as fully >objective in regards to statements that glorify themselves (ie. japanese >sources that defend japan or Korean sources that attack japan).
I think it is correct, but then which source is really reliable?
Crimes happened in Japan would be normally reported in Japanese by Japanese or Korean reporters, and all the other media just take those article translated. Even the first news in this thread is written by Japanese and Korean. So the only way for us to protect ourselves are to doubt everything - but don't know why it is necessary for you to mention this.

Re your question on "benefits" - one reason I can think of and name now is that Chosun Chongryong (North Koreans' association) have been trying to escape from bashing from Japanese media who claim that they are involved in illegal activities such as money laundering, drug smuggling and export appliances for missiles - those testimonies were made at U.S. congress by "ex-NK spies" who were caught in South Korea.
Also Koreans in Japan are demanding hard for suffrage although they refuse to obtain Japanese nationality - in their campaign they claim they have been discriminated (such as getting girls' uniform ripped - actually I did hear North Korean protestors insist this on street).

>Interesting that you say
>"there are Japanese people who hate Koreans. And some of them may not be good people"

Now let me add that "there are Koreans who hate Japanese, and some of them may not be good people, either" otherwise it won't make sense.

"when is the hate between the two ethnic groups going to end?"

As long there are ignorant people around it's never going to end. I lived in Japan in the early 80's when Korean people and their culture wasn't a very big interest like it is now. What I'm trying to say is that it was harder then than it is now. Koreans that go to cho-sen gakko(Korean school) were harassed by Japanese high school students. I really doubt that it is like that now. What I'm trying to say is that I am a Korean that lived in Japan but I never had trouble with Japanese people. I will always remember Japan as a wonderful place with beautiful people. No matter what nationality you are there is always going to be a few rotten apples but it doesn't mean that they are bad. A little corny but that's what I think.

i wish i could force myself to read all your posts...but i cant. i'll just say this, its expected that former slaves of others would be pissed.

Back
Top Bottom