What's new

Hajimemashite

splintercat

後輩
24 Nov 2007
Hi! Another newbie introduction here! I'm a freshman at Columbia University; I just started taking Japanese this fall. I've been interested in Japan since I was about nine years old and my interest lately has been something like an obsession - I was even drilling kanji over Thanksgiving break (my father's face basically said, "...isn't that a bit much?") I think I want to do Japanese literature as a major, but we'll see.

For some reason, for me, Japan is just incredibly interesting! I don't know why - I do know that when I pick up a book on Japanese culture or even a technical book on Japanese grammar, I can't put it down for hours.

I got interested in Japan, like a lot of you, because of anime/manga. I don't watch much new anime now, though I still read manga. I love watching silly Japanese ドラマ and Japanese movies. I like Japanese music too. Now that I'm studying Japanese, I try to use all of these as a way to train my ears to hear the Japanese grammar, keeping in mind that these works aren't an entirely accurate reflection of the way Japanese people usually speak.

As far as proper culture goes, I'm working my way through the works of Natsume Soseki right now. (Which is a great conversation starter with the Japanese people at my school's "Japanese Chat Club". I've found that every Japanese person I've spoken to will talk to me about at least one of three things: Soseki, Miyazaki, or the pop band Arashi. XD All of the women, at least, have a favorite Arashi member, a favorite Miyazaki film, and something to say about こころ.)

I'm such a beginner that I probably won't be contributing much to the discussions here and I have two very well-qualified Japanese teachers to ask any inane grammar questions or detailed cultural questions, but I thought I'd join just for fun! よろしくおねがいします!

Joining for fun is great !! I mean, why else to really join?

WELCOME to JREF !! Please check out the whole forum, and join in when you can. There are some interesting discussions in the Serious Discussion area too, when you feel that you'd love to practice some good ole academic-like debate !

I bet your Japanese teachers cannot tell you why the people in my area of Matsumoto tend to say 'zura' at the ends of some sentences, though....hee, hee, hee.....

See you 'round !!! Mars Man (and we're close now....Mars and Earth, that is)

Back
Top Bottom